Car hire from Heathrow .

Dennyboy

3 hours ago, Dennyboy said:

I am going over to uk for a short stay beofre i come back and permanently relocate .

I need to hire a car but had a bad experience with europcar .

Can anyone recommend a good hire company from heathrow ?

Any help appreciated .

I’ve used budget twice and they were lovely. Last time was last year when I moved back and I collected at Heathrow then dropped off in Warrington.  The lady when I collected said I couldn’t use my currency card to pay my bill but could use cash (I was still setting up and didn’t have a uk credit card and didn’t want to use my Aus one) but when I dropped the car back I wasn’t allowed to pay cash.......The man reduced my bill by a good amount to make up for being misled. No fuss or blaming me. Great customer service.

I also had an unpleasant experience with europcar....

Yes back here since June last year.

I’m in a new area of the UK (NW) to where I am originally from (SE) so different for me anyway.

I am overall happier.

I work for the NHS and that is a mess. It was a mess when I left 14 years ago as well so...... I really like the people I work with and enjoy going in despite my caseload being really hard at the moment and management being knobs. Care received as a patient, very limited as I am healthy, has been good.

Australian nurses are paid better but I have found I am fine here as housing is cheaper up here. Other things like petrol and food etc seem to even out when I look at my bills as a percentage of my income in either country.

Halifax offered me a market rate mortgage a week after landing on the strength of a job offer letter and my deposit. I am having to work on my credit score to get a decent rate on a personal loan though. 🙄

Drivers are more polite, still some idiots, but far better than battling my way through Melbourne suburbs. This is probably different near London! I have a 20 minute commute compared to over an hour in Melbourne. 

I can afford to live in a market town and walk to everything as opposed to way out on the outer fringes with no pavements or streetlights and having to drive everywhere.

My house is better built here and has proper insulation. My view in Australia was better. I don’t get echidnas in my garden here! ☹️ I also miss my king parrots in the garden. 

I miss flyscreens and need to get some for next year.

I have lost 7kg despite accessing foods of my childhood in excess! Yes prawn cocktail skips I’m looking at you. 

Long summer evenings were great!

Rain for days now less great but my garden is green and not likely to burst into flames and burn the suburb down, so I’ll take it!

Roads are very pot holey. 

Have to remind myself that roads are narrow and we can’t both fit through at the same time!

Enjoying the vast range of shops and choice of products.

Enjoyed the Cheshire county show and the good food show at the NEC.

Ah a pub lunch!

We won’t mention the coffee......variable to say the least.

Overall I am pleased with my move. I feel alive again, my mental health is good again!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I am overall happier.

Drivers are more polite, still some idiots, but far better than battling my way through Melbourne suburbs. 

I can afford to live in a market town and walk to everything as opposed to way out on the outer fringes with no pavements or streetlights and having to drive everywhere.

Long summer evenings were great!

Enjoying the vast range of shops and choice of products.

Ah a pub lunch!

Overall I am pleased with my move. 

This must mean you have discovered Main st - Bears paw, Queens Head etc

Get out to Tarporley and see how many fantastic old pubs you encounter on the way.

Edited by Wa7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wa7 said:

This must mean you have discovered Main st - Bears paw, Queens Head etc

Get out to Tarporley and see how many fantastic old pubs you encounter on the way.

Waaay ahead of you! 😂 There’s still lots around. Can’t believe how many pubs are near me! I don’t drink much these days but enjoy a decent meal and a cider once in a while!