RRV with strong ties (<2 years)

Pharmy

Dear Friends,

It would be a great help if you could share your experiences and inputs considering my present situation.

My PR visa was expired on 10th Sep. I did not stay 2 years in Australia (stayed 6 months) due to compelling family reasons and hence returned to India. However, I was pursuing honours degree from Australia University since 1 year and recently received a job offer as well from Australia - perhaps strong ties. Based on this, my RRV application has been submitted on 26th of August (before expiration of my PR). How long the processing time to grant my Visa considering the general timeline of 12 weeks? Kindly share your experiences and inputs. Thank you.

Because you didn't complete the 2 years, the award of an RRV is discretionary and needs special consideration.  The wait is likely to be several months, judging by posts from other people in your situation.   

You should be aware that "compelling reasons" count for nothing at all, if you can't demonstrate strong ties.  In your shoes I would've been moving back to Australia before your PR expired.

As Marisa says, the issue is demonstrating substantial ties of benefit to Australia; your reasons for absence are not relevant to a decision. Quoted processing times are now stated as 90% of applications being finalized within 77 days. There does appear to be a ‘tail’ of marginal applications that are taking much longer.