Family communities in Adelaide

Martynd

Hello all,

I’m looking for some areas in Adelaide that would suit me and my family. My main concerns are arriving and living in a rough area? Can anyone advise me on area names to avoid and also areas to settle. Myself wife and two children aged 6 and 5.

Thanks in advance

That's the age-old question without a definitive answer 😉

Most areas in Adelaide are safe, especially when compared with big cities here and overseas. There are some less desirable spots (Elizabeth for example has a fairly bad reputation) but ultimately where you live will be decided on where you work, how far you're prepared to commute, where you want to send your kids to school and what you want in your local area - beach, city, hills, cafes etc. Adelaide and its metropolitan area are pretty large and the suburbs all have distinct characters (some are the epitome of quiet suburbia, others have much more in the way of local shops and cafes etc). If it looks walkable on a map it's quite likely not, especially in the 40 degree summers. Prices to rent and buy also vary quite considerably. 

Usual advice is don't commit to anywhere long-term before you've arrive. Find a short-term or holiday rental somewhere fairly central (stay within a few km of the CBD if you want a good, central base for exploring the area) and spend a little while checking out different areas for yourself 🙂

Nothing beats the eyeball test. Take a holiday rental when you arrive and cruise the burbs looking for facilities you require, housing type you like, proximity to your work place, etc. If you don’t  like the vibe you get from wandering around the local shopping centres and having a coffee and a bit of a yarn then avoid. Also if every other yard is full of Holden wrecks, avoid. If all you can see is dog poo on the pavement and the sound of yapping dogs probably avoid. Most people choose suburbs based on proximity to work, housing cost and availability.

Ok correction coming......

Bit off to put the Adelaide Hills in woop woop territory.  Far from it. One of the fastest growing areas in SA round Mt Barker and still commutable to the city.  Plenty of cafes and restaurants, shops and wineries here.  Proper little townships and villages rather than urban sprawl, each with their own community and character.  The hills are really getting quite groovy and attracting business and people. Lots of the old run down hotels (pubs) have been or are being done up and are busy and have live music.

I live in Hahndorf in the middle of woop woop?..I don’t think so! 

Edited by rammygirl

Ahh, there you go. It's all a bit tongue in cheek with the map - although I think it does give a rough idea of how the main metropolitan area is split into unofficial zones (e.g. eastern suburbs vs beachside suburbs vs northern suburbs etc).

I love the hills and we've talked about moving there one day - although places like Mount Barker do feel quite far away for me as I'm used to my 5 minute commute to the CBD by train. Stirling or Hahndorf would probably be the furthest I'd want to live from the city at this point in my life, but somewhere just inside the hills region with access to a train like Blackwood/Belair would be perfect!

At the end of the day a commute here is still the same as a commute in the UK (i.e. dead time) so I do think it's important for those who haven't been here before to get an idea of the scale of Adelaide and its surrounds before they commit to an area that might be a deceptively long way away from their work in the city - hence my woop woop comment 🙂 

I'm not overly familar with Aldinga as a city (which is what it is called here, but it's more like a small town in UK terms) so someone else might want to step in here but in general it's a nice part of the world. Obviously it's quite far south as far as the Adelaide metropolitan area goes so if you had a job in Port Adelaide for example you'd have an hour's drive to get there - maybe a bit more in peak hour. I don't know where the bulk of your work would come from but if it's all over the metropolitan area you might want to consider living more centrally so that you've never got more than half an hour's drive to any job. That said, we've just finished renovating our house and I would say the majority of tradies we had through lived down south so it certainly can be done 🙂

I guess it's a case of weighing up the beachy lifestyle vs longer commutes.

• Like 1

I'm not overly familar with Aldinga as a city (which is what it is called here, but it's more like a small town in UK terms) so someone else might want to step in here but in general it's a nice part of the world. Obviously it's quite far south as far as the Adelaide metropolitan area goes so if you had a job in Port Adelaide for example you'd have an hour's drive to get there - maybe a bit more in peak hour. I don't know where the bulk of your work would come from but if it's all over the metropolitan area you might want to consider living more centrally so that you've never got more than half an hour's drive to any job. That said, we've just finished renovating our house and I would say the majority of tradies we had through lived down south so it certainly can be done [emoji846]
I guess it's a case of weighing up the beachy lifestyle vs longer commutes.

Thanks for the insight! Will take it all on board.

On 28/09/2019 at 01:18, Martynd said:

That’s very helpful, thanks a lot! I am going to be in the plumbing trade so will be everywhere I would have thought so proximity to work won’t be an issue I don’t think emoji848.png. What are your thoughts on aldinga?

Aldinga is set to be the next growth area - for better or worse - with a lot of building set to be going on, added to that which is already taking place just down the road at Maslin, Seaford Meadows and Seaford Heights.

Chances are, working in your trade you would not need to look in the northern half of Adelaide anyway and could even find constant work on the doorstep.  That said, there are a lot of "tradies" already pitched up in the area as I am sure you will appreciate. 

I have been working in a job that has seen me out in the public and even I have been surprised by the number of expat Poms in these southern suburbs.  Hallett Cove is possibly less British than it once was but Port Noarlunga, Seaford area and Aldinga most certainly so.  

As for being safe?  As stated above in comparison to a lot of suburban areas of the UK and other parts of Australia, Adelaide is a lot safer.  You might feel less so but that is because the local media here cover "crimes" that would hardly get a look in in the most part in Britain.   Yes there is petty crime, where we live in Seaford Meadows, it is a new suburb that is not completed yet with a mix of housing from private owned, private rented and what is known as public housing here (aka housing association as per UK) and a vast mix of people have all found themselves living side by side. The same now happens with new developments in the UK too. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2019 at 07:28, AliQ said:

IIessur, I’m very impressed with your map, brilliant idea to do that for folk on this forum, well done.

Just need someone to do one for the Sunshine Coast !

@llessur Brilliant! Your map is great! I lived in Henley Beach and your map is spot  on 👍🏻
@AliQ we now live on the Sunny but there’s not really any bad areas. Maybe a few bad neighbours or bad streets but can’t really think of a bad Suburb? 

1 hour ago, samlab said:

@llessur Brilliant! Your map is great! I lived in Henley Beach and your map is spot  on 👍🏻
@AliQ we now live on the Sunny but there’s not really any bad areas. Maybe a few bad neighbours or bad streets but can’t really think of a bad Suburb? 

Hi samlab, thank you for that info. that’s very good to know. We visited the Sunshine Coast earlier this year and loved it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...