Play groups and mums groups in shires sydney

Smiler81

Hi all

potentially moving with work to Sydney in the new year and looking for areas currently to move to. Have been looking in the “shires” suburbs on line (Miranda, cranulla and some northern suburbs in Sydney)..wondering has anyone has advice on the type of mother and child groups and activities available in the areas above..my partner and youngest (2 kids a 7 year old and 2 year old) I am keen to be based around a really vibrant or family activity based town..any recommendations?

Everyone is so individual, it's hard to give you a definite answer.     As a Sydneysider for 30 years, I always found the northern suburbs snobbish and too concerned with "keeping up with the Jones's".    I don't know much about the Northern Beaches area, though - as an inner city chick, they were too inconvenient to get to.

The Shire used to be more old-fashioned, and (apart from Cronulla), not a place for young people.   With the dramatic rise in house prices in recent years, that's all changing as people are forced to look further south to find something affordable.   Cronulla is a lively beachside suburb but in summer, it can get horribly congested, and the commute to the city is tedious.   Miranda has a huge shopping centre but is otherwise pretty bland.   

In your shoes, I'd look at some of the other stations along the Illawarra line, closer to the city. 

Gymea is a lovely little suburb.  My MIL used to live there and the numerous cafés were always full of mums with prams and toddlers.   It's only 20 minutes on the train to Cronulla Beach, or less than 15 minutes by car.   

Oatley is a great choice, only 40 minutes to the city by train and 20 minutes car ride to the nearest beaches.  The primary school there is very sought-after, so lots of young families in the area.  There's a huge park, and if you're into cycling, there's a safe bike ride across the Como pedestrian bridge to the local outdoor swimming pool on the edge of the river.

Hi!

I'm currently in Sutherland and have been for a couple of months.  My children are a little older, but I can agree with what Marisa said.  Apart from her comment on Miranda, some parts are bland, but down near to Port Hacking is pretty and there is also the benefit of Westfield shops, several restaurants and a multiplex cinema.

You could look at the Domain app which will give you an idea of what rentals might cost and the house prices are.  The suburbs we are considering did include Oatley, but our budget and house requirements did not match the house prices!

I have found there are lots of young families living here and it's a great spot if you want to get to the CBD.  The other suburbs worth considering if you travel to work on the trainline and want to walk to the station are Como, Jannali, Oyster Bay, Kirrawee, Gymea Bay, Yowie Bay and Caringbah.

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, Smiler81 said:

Thanks guys have been looking at the areas above..I would be based at Sydney airport so commute not quite to CBD..thanks for the advise..

In that case, forget about the North Shore - the commute would be horrendous. 

The St George area or The Shire  would be ideal, nice easy commute

Edited by Marisawright