Mosquito bites

mppc

12 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

There isn't a bug repellant, it's the dry body oil or bath oil sprayed on. I haven't tried it so can't comment on it's effectiveness.

I used to buy it - it was called Skin so soft Bug Guard and came in a small pump bottle 

8 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

Is it still available as when I've looked into it in the past the comments were always about using the oils as a spray?

The bug repellent version is just as full of chemicals as any other insect repellent. I think that’s why the oil was popular with people who are trying to avoid chemicals 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drumbeat said:

Is it still available as when I've looked into it in the past the comments were always about using the oils as a spray?

Avon don't sell in Australia anymore - they also say their oil only is not sold or advertised as a bug repellant.  As Marisa says, the bug guard does contain some chemicals (to repel the insects).

23 minutes ago, ali said:

Avon don't sell in Australia anymore - they also say their oil only is not sold or advertised as a bug repellant.  As Marisa says, the bug guard does contain some chemicals (to repel the insects).

I should have been clearer, I was wondering if it was still available in the UK.

My sister has got some skin so soft and is going to post me it over, I will give a wee update when I try it as I have heard great things about it 😀 I'm spraying my bedroom every night keeping doors closed and lights out. I was very nieve about everything it's a massive change from UK. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mppc said:

My sister has got some skin so soft and is going to post me it over, I will give a wee update when I try it as I have heard great things about it 😀 I'm spraying my bedroom every night keeping doors closed and lights out. I was very nieve about everything it's a massive change from UK. 

Make sure you haven’t got any holes in the fly wire, they’re canny little buggers. It is a massive change from uk and you haven’t really started yet. It’s a foreign country that happens to speak English - oh, and don’t pick and eat the mushrooms, they can kill you

9C959D8C-B28A-4FDD-B855-458C61282DE9.jpeg

2 hours ago, mppc said:

Is it the bug repellant one?  The oil isn't a bug repellant.

Bushmans works but it is a bit drastic. Always wash hands after you put it on if you use the cream not the spray. Aero guard doesn’t work with our mossies anymore. In the warm weather I use a bug zapper outside. Used to use mosquito coils but the little so and sos don’t seem to care and they don’t work.and neither do the candles.

11 hours ago, Quoll said:

Make sure you haven’t got any holes in the fly wire, they’re canny little buggers. It is a massive change from uk and you haven’t really started yet. It’s a foreign country that happens to speak English - oh, and don’t pick and eat the mushrooms, they can kill you

9C959D8C-B28A-4FDD-B855-458C61282DE9.jpeg

The death cap, along with many other dangerous fungi are all over the world. Though death cap is problematic to those of us that forage as they look very similar to field mushrooms and often grow alongside. 

Here where I live in Scotland we have a bigger issue. I like to forage hogweed. But, we have water hemlock, which can look almost identical. The difference. Hogweed can be eaten like celery. Water hemlock. Less than a teaspoon can kill in minutes and there is no antidote. 

14 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The death cap, along with many other dangerous fungi are all over the world. Though death cap is problematic to those of us that forage as they look very similar to field mushrooms and often grow alongside. 

Here where I live in Scotland we have a bigger issue. I like to forage hogweed. But, we have water hemlock, which can look almost identical. The difference. Hogweed can be eaten like celery. Water hemlock. Less than a teaspoon can kill in minutes and there is no antidote. 

It was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, people always get their knickers in a knot over the wildlife being dangerous!!!! The death caps in Canberra always grow under oaks - I noticed them on my way to lunch and hoped that no one would take a fancy to them and then I noticed the sign when I walked back. However, shortly after we arrived in UK a couple of Chinese restaurant workers died because they foraged - just as well they didn't feed it to the customers.  The water hemlock was a plot in one of my favourite murder mysteries way back (now that is going to bug me all afternoon!)

5 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Bushmans works but it is a bit drastic. Always wash hands after you put it on if you use the cream not the spray. Aero guard doesn’t work with our mossies anymore. In the warm weather I use a bug zapper outside. Used to use mosquito coils but the little so and sos don’t seem to care and they don’t work.and neither do the candles.

After 30 odd years in the tropics, Kimberlies and Central Coastal Queensland, I have always used Aeroguard and Bushmans, the two best spray-ons for mossies and sandflies. No other product comes near, imo.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 4 weeks later...

I react very badly to mossies here in Aus, I had no idea they were so bad. I reacted badly to gnats in the UK and here in Aus in my first summer I was like a buffet for them. I found if I got more than 10 bites at once (the most I’ve had is 16) I started to feel quite sick. I’ve tried about every spray on the market and the one I really like is ‘GO’ which can be bought in woolies or coles. I can go to BBQ’s and walk out in the evenings and stay bite free although an occasional one might get me on an area I haven’t thought to spray (like my eyelid!). I also am very careful when I go out at dusk, I spray and still try and cover most of my legs and arms with clothing. Problems come when I don’t spray repellent and are out and about in the day and random mossies bite me. Some of the worst have been- out for a few minutes putting washing on the line, putting petrol in my car, talking to the NRMA while my car was being fixed. I can’t predict those and those bites have been absolutely vicious!!! I’m in Sydney.

11 hours ago, themaccas said:

I react very badly to mossies here in Aus, I had no idea they were so bad. I reacted badly to gnats in the UK and here in Aus in my first summer I was like a buffet for them. I found if I got more than 10 bites at once (the most I’ve had is 16) I started to feel quite sick. I’ve tried about every spray on the market and the one I really like is ‘GO’ which can be bought in woolies or coles. I can go to BBQ’s and walk out in the evenings and stay bite free although an occasional one might get me on an area I haven’t thought to spray (like my eyelid!). I also am very careful when I go out at dusk, I spray and still try and cover most of my legs and arms with clothing. Problems come when I don’t spray repellent and are out and about in the day and random mossies bite me. Some of the worst have been- out for a few minutes putting washing on the line, putting petrol in my car, talking to the NRMA while my car was being fixed. I can’t predict those and those bites have been absolutely vicious!!! I’m in Sydney.

Yeah, it's the casual walk out to the clothes line that does for you! I got several on my last day in Australia doing just that!