UK- AUS freedom of travel

Areyousure

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/18/britain-will-aim-for-freedom-of-movement-deal-with-australia

so with the possibility of freedom between UK and AUS. What do you think could be some of the possible consequences. The two countries are similar at the same time very different in a lot of other ways. 

Would it result in a lot of British migrating to Australia or would it be the other way and cause a brain drain. 

8 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/18/britain-will-aim-for-freedom-of-movement-deal-with-australia

so with the possibility of freedom between UK and AUS. What do you think could be some of the possible consequences. The two countries are similar at the same time very different in a lot of other ways. 

Would it result in a lot of British migrating to Australia or would it be the other way and cause a brain drain. 

This caught my eye recently for sure. On a totally selfish level, after slogging through the visa system here as a Brit I kind of hope it doesn't happen 😂 but it's the consequences that make me question the feasibility of it. Scott Morrison's comments on it seem pretty clear, it's unlikely his government would ever consider a new zealand type agreement with any other country. The scale of consequences on both countries of complete freedom of travel just make it seem highly unlikely to me. The number of out-there headlines in the UK around this messy time which is Brexit make it hard to believe anything that comes out of UK parliament in the news!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, millski88 said:

This caught my eye recently for sure. On a totally selfish level, after slogging through the visa system here as a Brit I kind of hope it doesn't happen 😂 but it's the consequences that make me question the feasibility of it. Scott Morrison's comments on it seem pretty clear, it's unlikely his government would ever consider a new zealand type agreement with any other country. The scale of consequences on both countries of complete freedom of travel just make it seem highly unlikely to me. The number of out-there headlines in the UK around this messy time which is Brexit make it hard to believe anything that comes out of UK parliament in the news!

That’s true. They are very desperate right now. 

I know a lot of Australians who popped over to the UK to work in my youth. You could work for a couple of years and put a serious dent in your mortgage. But that was pre GFC and pre Brexit when the pound was worth something. We are struggling to attract Europeans now.

But I think a lot of bright young poms would travel to Australia. Whether they would come back or not is the question.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

It's quite likely a non-issue:

" Australia’s prime minister, Scott Morrison, said recently the Trans-Tasman visa-free arrangement with New Zealand was unique and not something his government would consider extending to other countries."

I doubt Australia would open the doors to other countries as they're already reducing immigration targets.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, newjez said:

I know a lot of Australians who popped over to the UK to work in my youth. You could work for a couple of years and put a serious dent in your mortgage. But that was pre GFC and pre Brexit when the pound was worth something. We are struggling to attract Europeans now.

But I think a lot of bright young poms would travel to Australia. Whether they would come back or not is the question.

True, especially right now, it'd be very one-sided.

9 hours ago, Areyousure said:

That’s true. They are very desperate right now. 

It smells very much like a "stick with this Brexit idea and look at all this great stuff we will <most likely not> be able to do for you" 

There's so much of that about in British politics at the minute, and so far at least it's been a completely one-sided exchange. One UK MP saying something she wants to do, with no official reply or any confirmation from the other side.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Areyousure said:

so with the possibility of freedom between UK and AUS. What do you think could be some of the possible consequences.

I wouldn't waste any time/energy thinking about it.  It's not going to happen.   The Australian government is paranoid about who it lets in - and there are many from the UK it does not want here.  They made that very clear when Tony Abbott started blathering on about it when the Brexit result was first known.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Areyousure said:

Just because a Politician states something in a press conference while trying to sell one of their polices, does not make it reality.

This would be highly unlikely to happen.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

Just because a Politician states something in a press conference while trying to sell one of their polices, does not make it reality.

This would be highly unlikely to happen.

It might, might not happen but we could always discuss what could happen if it did so.

13 hours ago, Lavers said:

Probably looking more at working holidays and education.

In the same article it said that the UK wants to adopt the Australian points system for immigration in the future.

Doesn't the UK already have a points based system for non-EU citizens, presumably soon to be rolled out to EU citizens as well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points-based_immigration_system_(United_Kingdom)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-6a-the-points-based-system

Complete with Shortage Occupation Lists?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

Maybe the point is that there are still significant differences between the two systems, so that the emphasis is on Australian, rather than points based.  I don't know enough about either system to be able to comment on that.

3 hours ago, Areyousure said:

It might, might not happen but we could always discuss what could happen if it did so.

I agree with Raul that it’s highly unlikely, from either side. The UK referendum was, in a good part, built around removing freedom of movement so setting this as a precedent in any trade deal with Australia would open a pandora’s box for other deals being negotiated and, on the flip side, why would Australia want to open its borders to 70 million Brits when we are clearly trying to reduce numbers? 

If we are dealing with hypotheticals, perhaps a widening of working holiday visa eligibility or a looser 482 process might be doable as part of a wider deal, but I can’t see a Kiwi style, no restrictions, visa being viable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrandpaGrumble said:

Doesn't the UK already have a points based system for non-EU citizens, presumably soon to be rolled out to EU citizens as well?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points-based_immigration_system_(United_Kingdom)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-part-6a-the-points-based-system

Complete with Shortage Occupation Lists?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-k-shortage-occupation-list

Maybe the point is that there are still significant differences between the two systems, so that the emphasis is on Australian, rather than points based.  I don't know enough about either system to be able to comment on that.

Sorry I meant when we left the EU...its the people (not all of them) coming to the UK from the EU which is causing us problems.

Far too many looking to come here for the handouts, then they do cash in hand jobs to avoid paying there taxes.

We have enough lazy English people not wanting to work without adding to the numbers.

On 20/09/2019 at 01:09, Skani said:

I wouldn't waste any time/energy thinking about it.  It's not going to happen.   The Australian government is paranoid about who it lets in - and there are many from the UK it does not want here.  They made that very clear when Tony Abbott started blathering on about it when the Brexit result was first known.

Spot on. it's never going to happen.