Almost There

Franklin05

I cannot believe how quick things are coming together for our UK return. 

Flights booked, car hire sorted, dog transportation booked (through Petraveller, who've pulled out all the stops as we were having issues with Jetpets), shipping booked and a lot cheaper than expected, potentially have a tenant signing a lease the rent the house and have places to stay with friends and family once we get to the UK. Getting things in place for our daughters medical care and schooling. It's stressful and hubby and I are worried about getting all the loose ends tied up properly, but I think we will get there, we have about three weeks to go.  We are ticking off a few touristy things to do around here, helped by some visiting friends from down south. 

Still a few great unknowns once we get to the UK, but hubby and I have a great sense of relief at the thought of returning and being back in the UK. We know it won't be easy at first, starting over again, but it's got to be easier than having done it four times around the wide expanse of Australia.  We've switched off from everything Brexit as there just seems to be so much fear mongering going on (still). Looking forward to seeing family, friends and having some familiarity around us. We even have a playdate set up with a friends and her daughter who will be travelling through the UK just after we arrive home. 

I guess this post really is just a brief over view of our progress so far. It's amazing what you can accomplish in a little over a week, and only a few more weeks to go and we'll be heading back home. We've had many ups and downs in Australia, and have given it a good go and travelled far and wide, but home it calling, it is time to go - in a way it's like reaching the end of an exhausting holiday where everything is still pretty to look at, all the palm trees and blue/green ocean and heat makes you feel like you're somewhere special and that you should be enjoying it, but you're not anymore and you really just want to get home and relax. Our trip back to the UK in March really cemented returning home for us, and now half a  year later we're doing it!

• Like 8
  • Congratulations 2

2 minutes ago, Franklin05 said:

I cannot believe how quick things are coming together for our UK return. 

Flights booked, car hire sorted, dog transportation booked (through Petraveller, who've pulled out all the stops as we were having issues with Jetpets), shipping booked and a lot cheaper than expected, potentially have a tenant signing a lease the rent the house and have places to stay with friends and family once we get to the UK. Getting things in place for our daughters medical care and schooling. It's stressful and hubby and I are worried about getting all the loose ends tied up properly, but I think we will get there, we have about three weeks to go.  We are ticking off a few touristy things to do around here, helped by some visiting friends from down south. 

Still a few great unknowns once we get to the UK, but hubby and I have a great sense of relief at the thought of returning and being back in the UK. We know it won't be easy at first, starting over again, but it's got to be easier than having done it four times around the wide expanse of Australia.  We've switched off from everything Brexit as there just seems to be so much fear mongering going on (still). Looking forward to seeing family, friends and having some familiarity around us. We even have a playdate set up with a friends and her daughter who will be travelling through the UK just after we arrive home. 

I guess this post really is just a brief over view of our progress so far. It's amazing what you can accomplish in a little over a week, and only a few more weeks to go and we'll be heading back home. We've had many ups and downs in Australia, and have given it a good go and travelled far and wide, but home it calling, it is time to go - in a way it's like reaching the end of an exhausting holiday where everything is still pretty to look at, all the palm trees and blue/green ocean and heat makes you feel like you're somewhere special and that you should be enjoying it, but you're not anymore and you really just want to get home and relax. Our trip back to the UK in March really cemented returning home for us, and now half a  year later we're doing it!

It is exhausting, I did it last year. You seem organised and go-getty though so just keep the momentum going! You’ll be back and settling in in no time! Safe travels! 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

It is exhausting, I did it last year. You seem organised and go-getty though so just keep the momentum going! You’ll be back and settling in in no time! Safe travels! 😀

Thank you. I'm keen to be going, and the only way is to keep moving on through it all, despite the stress and lack of sleep. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am so pleased for you , i'm in the process of doing it now .

Going for a quick holiday to find somewhere to live and its all systems go .

Got a quote for 3100 for dog and cat which is the cheapest so far , just have to open a bank account check about doctors and that should be it .

Just looking for a decent removal company .

On 29/09/2019 at 12:40, Dennyboy said:

Got a quote for 3100 for dog and cat which is the cheapest so far , just have to open a bank account check about doctors and that should be it .

That's a good price. We paid about 3700 for just the dog, but he needs to fly internally in Australia first and it's cutting it fine time wise from when we booked to when we leave. We have now only a week to go, have sold off most things or given them away. I"d have preferred to have had a while longer to plan the whole thing, but we've somehow pulled it all off in a matter of weeks. Still need to sort out medical things for our daughter, but I believe that once we are on the ground we can zip through some wait lists as she already has a diagnosis and has been receiving treatment. 

Everyone on here recommend we use MoveCube, but living so remotely we'd have had to pay out to transfer all our goods internally which would have doubled the cost. We're going with Allied Pickfords, because out of the three companies who came to give us quotes they were the only one to actually provide us with a quote (Darwin is so slack), and as it turns out is costing us a lot less than what we expected - apparently it's cheaper to move from Aust. to UK as more comes the other way so they need to send containers there all the time. 

First time posting on this sight. At long last partner agreed it’s time to move back home after 10 years in Oz. Franklin05 can you provide a rough guide on costs? We have three dogs who will be coming with us, but no kids. Live in Qld not far from Brisbane. Do you mind sharing why you made the decision to return?

• Like 1

On 29/09/2019 at 13:10, Dennyboy said:

We are having a trip home for Christmas and planning will commence in the new year to make our return. Any advice warmly received 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Senfield said:

We are having a trip home for Christmas and planning will commence in the new year to make our return. Any advice warmly received 

Save yourself some money and just go back if you are serious about it. Why go on a holiday first? It costs a heap that you might need later. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dennyboy said:

I made the decision to return because sick of missing family , plus nothing left for me here and want cooler weather .

I lost my son in jan 2014 and wife left in the october , i have no family here and her lot just turned their back on me.

Miss home and family in a nutshell .

You've had a rough time Dennyboy. Hope things improve for you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Senfield said:

A return to the UK first can be extremely useful, as we are finding out second time around ! But it does all depend on your own individual circumstances such as money, children, age etc etc. Yes, it does cost, but to us it’s been money well spent.

I think it is also relevant on how long you have been away from the UK, because if you have been away a very long time, then you will find the UK a very very different place.

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Save yourself some money and just go back if you are serious about it. Why go on a holiday first? It costs a heap that you might need later.

12 minutes ago, AliQ said:

A return to the UK first can be extremely useful, as we are finding out second time around ! But it does all depend on your own individual circumstances such as money, children, age etc etc. Yes, it does cost, but to us it’s been money well spent.

I think it is also relevant on how long you have been away from the UK, because if you have been away a very long time, then you will find the UK a very very different place.

Yep, true. Being on holiday there is not like living there either. We were there on holiday a few weeks back and the first thing we noticed was how many more cars were around and how much more congested it was.

Friends and rellies make an effort to see you but when we lived there we were so far away we wouldn't see them for ages. Everyone has their routine after a while.

13 hours ago, Senfield said:

Been back to the uk almost every year to see family., arrived in Oz in 2010. This trip has been booked since January, decision made later in the year to return. New grand baby & no relationship, to sad 😔 time to connect 😊

We didn't have the money to go back for 13 years when we came. More or less starting from scratch financially with a 2 year old and not that many jobs around in 92.

Family loved the holidays here though. Can't say we missed going back. We were determined to make emigration a success.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2019 at 07:02, Senfield said:

First time posting on this sight. At long last partner agreed it’s time to move back home after 10 years in Oz. Franklin05 can you provide a rough guide on costs? We have three dogs who will be coming with us, but no kids. Live in Qld not far from Brisbane. Do you mind sharing why you made the decision to return?

We're moving from Darwin to Up North. Dog through Petraveller is costing $3700, goods - a sofa, bookcase and some 30 something boxes is costing about $5500 including insurance. Our flights were somewhere between $2500 to $3000. We've made a couple grand selling things off, and since hubby was made redundant we're living off that, I guess as citizens we could claim Centrelink, but it would be drawn out and a hassle to do so since we are planing to leave anyway. 

We've talked about going back for a long long time, I'd have neon sooner, but hubby wanted to wait a few more years. This year my grandmother who raised me died and we went back to the UK for the funeral, leaving to come back to Australia felt so wrong. Hubby mum was in a home with dementia, my sister was dying of cancer, they've both since passed and my other sister is unwell. We've been in Australia for 10 years and 1 month, moved interstate 4 times chasing work, we have bought a house in Darwin which we are renting out, there's no work here for hubby and the thought of moving within Australia again filled us both with horror. There are plenty of things we've seen and enjoyed here, but it's been hard. We want to go home be close to family and friends. We've not assimilated or found a niche for ourselves within Australian life, it is now time for taking the dog for a walk to the pub and taking him inside for a pint, Bonfire night and the dark nights and twinkling lights for Christmas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2019 at 07:05, Senfield said:

You might find that the trip makes the decision for you. I know someone else mentioned just saving the money for your move, but our trip back in March really sealed the deal for us, especially for hubby who's not been back since we left in 2009. I wasn't happy in the first week, coming from the heat and humidity from Darwin to the first week in March in the UK was a shocker for my body, but by the end of the trip I really didn't want to leave. We had planned to return in a couple of years, but hubby being made redundant at the start of Sept pushed us to leave sooner. Can't believe we go in 5 days!!!! Doesn't feel real that this is us doing it!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Franklin05 said:

You might find that the trip makes the decision for you. I know someone else mentioned just saving the money for your move, but our trip back in March really sealed the deal for us, especially for hubby who's not been back since we left in 2009. I wasn't happy in the first week, coming from the heat and humidity from Darwin to the first week in March in the UK was a shocker for my body, but by the end of the trip I really didn't want to leave. We had planned to return in a couple of years, but hubby being made redundant at the start of Sept pushed us to leave sooner. Can't believe we go in 5 days!!!! Doesn't feel real that this is us doing it!

All the best for your return. Safe travels! 

On 02/10/2019 at 11:41, Franklin05 said:

Gosh that has rushed up quickly! Bon Voyage for Monday(?)