Shipping furniture IKEA

OzinEire

Hi all, 

Just making a list of furniture we will bring with us. We have 3 dressers and a change table that are all from IKEA. Husband says because they're ikea they probably won't ship well. 

Does anyone have any personal experience of shipping ikea stuff? They're not very old and I'm just thinking it'll make things easier if we have a few less things to buy. Obviously if they'll fall apart in transit it won't be worth bringing them. 

TIA

1 hour ago, OzinEire said:

Hi all, 

Just making a list of furniture we will bring with us. We have 3 dressers and a change table that are all from IKEA. Husband says because they're ikea they probably won't ship well. 

Does anyone have any personal experience of shipping ikea stuff? They're not very old and I'm just thinking it'll make things easier if we have a few less things to buy. Obviously if they'll fall apart in transit it won't be worth bringing them. 

TIA

Can you take them apart and flat pack them?

What do you mean by dressers?

Most modern Australian homes have built in storage.

Ask yourself what it's going to cost to ship them, if anything.  What I mean by that is:

- If you've booked a whole container, then it makes sense to fill it to the max, including stuff that doesn't have much intrinsic value.  It's not going to cost you anything extra, and as you say, it saves you the trouble of all that shopping to replace stuff at the other end.

- Same logic for a Movecube  - if you've got space left over, put them in; but if it means moving up to a bigger Movecube, it's probably not worth paying the extra.  

We just got our MoveCube delivered last week, and I'll be updating a post showing us packing it with the unpacking when I get chance.

As per Marisa's point above, we shoved some flat packed furniture (IKEA and similar) into the cube as we had the spare space. Some of it was ok, but some got damaged so don't look so pretty any more. We will either get used to them looking like that or eventually use them as garage furniture!

I suspect that what would have protected them better is if we grouped the bits of wood together and secured the corners and any dowels brackets etc. with cardboard and/or bubble wrap. No guarantees, but I reckon had I done that they'd be as we packed them; flip side is they then take up a bit more space...

The guy who delivered pointed out that removing dowels etc. would have helped, but if they're glued in then less easy to take off... depends on your personal cash vs time  vs ability ratios if you reckon it's worth trying to drill them out and replacing with new dowels over here I guess.

(On marginally related point what I should have packed also was those many many clothes hangers that we had in our UK wardrobes! We have a built in wardrobe in each bedroom right now, with no hangers 🙄)

1 hour ago, OzinEire said:

Thanks everyone. I'd love to just leave everything behind and start again but then the thought of buying a whole house worth of stuff from scratch is also terrifying! I guess we'll just start with quotes and go from there. Thank you! 

@WayneMI'll be keeping an eye out for your shipping post update 👍

We did it and dont regret a thing. Granted our furniture was a few years old but i loved being able to go and buy what i wanted, when i wanted it to suit the house we were living in. I found lots of stores gave good discounts when buying a few things and i also learnt Rugs A million have a sale every week ! lol 

Cal x

We moved to Melbourne and back to UK 3 years later, and moved significant quantities of Ikea stuff in both directions. We had a sole use 20ft container each direction and we filled it to the max!

Both times, the stuff we sent "assembled" arrived a little worse for wear, a little more wobbly and needed the fasteners tightening - no big deal. But also on both occasions, we had a single item fall to bits completely, and had to bin it. One was a coffee table, the other a small drawer set. On the move out to oz, I was able to claim  on the insurance we had taken out - which paid out significantly more than we paid for the coffee table which was nice.

The movers disassembled some stuff, and shipped it flat packed, and assembled at the other end. (beds and wardrobes)

Whilst I don't think the ikea stuff travels well, having our stuff arrive took the pressure off setting up home at each end. Buying stuff in Oz can be eye-wateringly expensive, and if you already own a house load of stuff, shipping is probably worth it.

If you have a job offer in Oz, its worth asking if they will pay relocation costs. We had our move funded in both directions, and it really took pressure off.