Work experience for visa

Brianm93

Hi everybody. I’m a gas engineer looking to apply for the 189 or 190 visa. Just wondering if these visas require a certain amount of work experience before you can apply for them? 

I’ve been qualified and working for 3 and a half years. 

Also, if any other gas/heating engineers are on here and have moved over recently could you share your experience and thoughts with me please?

cheers

On 12/09/2019 at 02:11, Brianm93 said:

Hi everybody. I’m a gas engineer looking to apply for the 189 or 190 visa. Just wondering if these visas require a certain amount of work experience before you can apply for them? 

I’ve been qualified and working for 3 and a half years. 

Also, if any other gas/heating engineers are on here and have moved over recently could you share your experience and thoughts with me please?

cheers

This is not a straight forward issue as there are a number of things which need to be considered in regards to employment experience:

• Amount required for the skills assessment;
  • Amount required before you are considered "skilled" in you occupation for migration purposes;
  • Amount of "skilled" employment experience which can be claimed for pints purposes;
  • Some States require a certain amount of experience for some occupations.

In most cases you will need employment experience points to get enough points to receive an invite for the 189 or 190.

• Like 1

I’m a gas engineer also, fortunately I have 10 years plus my apprenticeship time. I’m not sure but they deducted a certain amount off for your training. You will most likely have to sit an IELTS English test to boost your points? I’ve got a skills assessment Wednesday! 🤞🏼. Happy to answer any questions, I understand how frustrating it can be.

3 hours ago, Martynd said:

I’m a gas engineer also, fortunately I have 10 years plus my apprenticeship time. I’m not sure but they deducted a certain amount off for your training. You will most likely have to sit an IELTS English test to boost your points? I’ve got a skills assessment Wednesday! 🤞🏼. Happy to answer any questions, I understand how frustrating it can be.

Hi mate, I’m on 55 points just now, sitting the English test in November so hoping to get up to 70-75 points. How many points will you have when you apply for the visa? And are you going through TRA or VETASSES for your skills test? 

Hi mate, I’m on 55 points just now, sitting the English test in November so hoping to get up to 70-75 points. How many points will you have when you apply for the visa? And are you going through TRA or VETASSES for your skills test? 

Hi mate,

I’m currently on 55 points also, doing the skills assessment with vetassess. I’m sure tra are the governing body for vetassess? Depending on what visa I go for I’m hooting to have 75 points. If I score 8’s in the IELTS then I will go for the skilled migration. If I score 7’s I will go for the regional. Have you sat the IELTS yet?

54 minutes ago, Martynd said:

Hi mate,

I’m currently on 55 points also, doing the skills assessment with vetassess. I’m sure tra are the governing body for vetassess? Depending on what visa I go for I’m hooting to have 75 points. If I score 8’s in the IELTS then I will go for the skilled migration. If I score 7’s I will go for the regional. Have you sat the IELTS yet?

I always thought they were two separate entities... Are you a plumber with gas qualifications? I don’t have any plumbing qualifications just purely gas, hence the reason I’m going directly through TRA for my skills assessment, which I’m led to believe is paper based, like payslips, past employers details and evidence of qualifications etc... I’ve booked the Pearson’s test of English so I’m sitting that in November. Heard that it’s easier than the IELTS.

4 hours ago, Brianm93 said:

I always thought they were two separate entities... Are you a plumber with gas qualifications? I don’t have any plumbing qualifications just purely gas

If you're only qualified in gas, I'd be a bit worried.  Gas water heaters,  fires and gas cookers are MUCH less common in Australia so there's much less call for the trade.

I notice because I love cooking with gas and it's fairly rare to find a house here that has gas supplied.  A lot of Australians seem to be scared of it, even though they have gas barbecues.  Out in country areas if you want gas in the house, you need to use bottled. 

I'd say it's worth trying to research job prospects as it would be awful to jump through all those hoops and then find yourself unemployable.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

If you're only qualified in gas, I'd be a bit worried.  Gas water heaters,  fires and gas cookers are MUCH less common in Australia so there's much less call for the trade.

I notice because I love cooking with gas and it's fairly rare to find a house here that has gas supplied.  A lot of Australians seem to be scared of it, even though they have gas barbecues.  Out in country areas if you want gas in the house, you need to use bottled. 

I'd say it's worth trying to research job prospects as it would be awful to jump through all those hoops and then find yourself unemployable.

I dont know where you get that idea from.  I have just installed a new gas hob, also have bayonet fittings for gas fire,  lots of houses in Perth have them.  I  have a gas hot water system.  I also lived in Melbourne and several of the houses I rented had gas cookers

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, AJ said:

I dont know where you get that idea from.  I have just installed a new gas hob, also have bayonet fittings for gas fire,  lots of houses in Perth have them.  I  have a gas hot water system.  I also lived in Melbourne and several of the houses I rented had gas cookers

Yeah every time I’ve been in Sydney or Perth I’ve seen plenty of gas appliances and gas workers.

My brother in law has his own plumbing and gas business in Perth, works plenty with gas.

I always thought they were two separate entities... Are you a plumber with gas qualifications? I don’t have any plumbing qualifications just purely gas, hence the reason I’m going directly through TRA for my skills assessment, which I’m led to believe is paper based, like payslips, past employers details and evidence of qualifications etc... I’ve booked the Pearson’s test of English so I’m sitting that in November. Heard that it’s easier than the IELTS.

I may be wrong but sure you would have to do a practical skills assessment, stage 1 of the skills is submitting the relevant paperwork like you have stated. Stage 2 is the practical and technical interview. I’ve sat the IELTS twice, both with unsuccessful results. Going to sit in another time and then try the Pearson’s. I’m a gas engineer predominantly but do still do plumbing both only in the commercial sector of the Industry. I’m a little nervous as it’s all domestic. I have been told there is nothing to worry about though. My skills is in Blackburn [emoji33]

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Out in country areas if you want gas in the house, you need to use bottled. 

I genuinely would struggle to find a house that didn't have mains gas and gas appliances.

Country areas i would agree with.

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Not only  that but The ACT government has unveiled the next phase of its strategy towards zero net emissions saying it will look to phase out the use of gas and electrify all new government-owned buildings and support the further adoption of emissions-free transport options.

We have gas supplied here and lots of people have gas fired central heating/hot water and my stove top is gas - oven electric. Apparently - in the future - we are going to be encouraged to be all electric according to a recent report.  

• Like 1

On 17/09/2019 at 17:35, Martynd said:

I may be wrong but sure you would have to do a practical skills assessment, stage 1 of the skills is submitting the relevant paperwork like you have stated. Stage 2 is the practical and technical interview. I’ve sat the IELTS twice, both with unsuccessful results. Going to sit in another time and then try the Pearson’s. I’m a gas engineer predominantly but do still do plumbing both only in the commercial sector of the Industry. I’m a little nervous as it’s all domestic. I have been told there is nothing to worry about though. My skills is in Blackburn emoji33.png

Martynd, how did you get on with your skills assessment? My husband is going to Blackburn to do his in November, he doesn’t have an official date but his agent thinks it will be 3rd week. He is a gas/oil/lpg engineer and has worked 17 years in the trade. He does predominantly do the heating side of things but is a fully qualified plumber also and does plumbing jobs also. He is currently sitting on 65 points but is trying to get an extra 10 points with his superior English. It’s proving difficult at the moment. He seems to fall short on his speaking of all things every time. Scoring 88-90 on the other 3 sections 😡