Looking for advice on Trade Skills Visa

AndiWilko

Hello, this is my first post. We have been looking into the possibility of joining our friends in Adelaide, but despite me having employable skills, I'm 45 so a no-go there for me. My husband appears to be eligible under the nominated skills list 

he is a general fitter with  25 years of experience. he has worked in various roles from age 16 to now. he began working in fabrication at 16 as a general labourer, head of the paint shop, completed an approvership within my company to become a fitter, spent 8 years as a pipefitter, chargehand and site foreman and contracts manager, overseeing a staff of 30 with budgets of up to 3 million. Today he has his own business in the UK maintaining fuel depots, working with small & medium bore pipework & tanker loading systems, maintaining repairing and modifying.
Looking at the skills list, I see general fitter on the list of state nominated occupations.

My question is what paper qualifications or credentials are required for me to be considered for entry? 

is anyone in here this type of tradesperson or similar that can share their story? 

Thanks in advance

Hiya Andi

I'm just waiting on my visa application to go through as a metal fabricator.

I have been nominated by South Australia with 65points.

Have a check on the government website as I think you have to have worked so many years recently in your selected field to qualify.

I did a 4yr apprenticeship in the UK, then ice had to get my apprenticeship assessed for the purpose of migrating.

Thats great thanks @Lavers - He's done it since he was 16 so aside from in company accred, he never did any formal NVQs or anything but has 25 years from gen labour all the way to contracts manager. - Just trying to see if he needs NVQs or can be assessed in some way. Proving experience is not a problem. We are also looking at nominated route in SA as our closest friends live there. 

It shows on vetassess that without formal training you need 5yrs experience in the trade, and like you say that's not a problem.

It does say that you need to have worked in the trade for 12months in the last 3yrs, so as long as hes still on the tools then he should be fine.

I think fitter and fabricator have a lot in common when you look at the units provided by vetassess.

It may be worth having an assessment done with a migration agent just to see where you stand. I did one at the start and I think it only cost £50ish.

Thanks for the advice so far - Yes, hes been doing it for the last 3 years, its been continual. Accreditation wont be a problem if he needs to get it, RPL/APL from what we can see so far he will need to be assessed anyway, by a recognised centre, so if he can be assessed by their approved centres and pass he would satisfy their criteria

5 hours ago, AndiWilko said:

Thanks for the advice so far - Yes, hes been doing it for the last 3 years, its been continual. Accreditation wont be a problem if he needs to get it, RPL/APL from what we can see so far he will need to be assessed anyway, by a recognised centre, so if he can be assessed by their approved centres and pass he would satisfy their criteria

You already incorrect. I very strongly suggest you use a good agent. Yes, it costs a bit of money, but in the grand scheme of emigrating, it is literally a drop in the ocean. 

• Like 1

I second VeryStormy.   We did our migration application on our own, but it's quite a complicated process and if you get ONE thing wrong, you get rejected - they don't come back and say, "did you mean....", they just say no, and that's your application fee wasted.  Reputable agents  will give you an initial free consultation too.  

• Like 1

On 11/09/2019 at 18:04, VERYSTORMY said:

You already incorrect. I very strongly suggest you use a good agent. Yes, it costs a bit of money, but in the grand scheme of emigrating, it is literally a drop in the ocean. 

Thanks for coming back to me! Which bit am I incorrect on? 

3 hours ago, AndiWilko said:

Thanks for coming back to me! Which bit am I incorrect on? 

Three years experience will not get you RPL. You will also need experience points on top of any experience points needed to pass the skills assessment. I really would run your details past a good agent. Any of the regular agents on here will do a free assessment 

• Like 1

On 13/09/2019 at 17:14, VERYSTORMY said:

Three years experience will not get you RPL. You will also need experience points on top of any experience points needed to pass the skills assessment. I really would run your details past a good agent. Any of the regular agents on here will do a free assessment 

@VERYSTORMY he has 25 years experience which i mention in the original post. the three years was just alluding to the earlier post where Lavers said something about having done the job for at least 12 months during the last three years.
Do you know where I would find an agent on here? 

Edited by AndiWilko