Visa options after 417 ends? 31 yr/o

Brenning

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice from fellow knowledgable forum members. I'm a 31 yr/o British citizen currently living & working in Melbourne on a 417 visa (I work in I.T). My visa comes to an end in about 7 weeks and I also turn 32 just after my visa expires so hence cannot apply for a 2nd year WHV. I currently have an EOI in place for a 190 visa (Vic) that I lodged a few weeks ago once I had my skill assessment back (70 + 5 points for ss, points maxxed out)so that's just a waiting game, with no indication on if I'll receive an invite at any point, let alone before my current visa expires. I have family living here who are Australian citizens but it doesn't appear to open up any doors visa wise. There's no option for sponsorship with my current employment(contract) which will come to an end in 4/5 weeks once the project is complete.

It would be great not to have to leave Australia and miss the summer here, the plan is to live here permanently (see 190 visa above). I've no plans to go back to England, but I'm open to other countries - ideally working there but it's not essential to work.

Wondering what my options are given my age? I have suffucient funds in my australian bank to last 10 months without work.

Edited by Brenning

If you've got money behind you, you could check if you're eligible for a student visa.  Your course would be expensive, but you're allowed to work 20 hours a week at the same time. 

I don't know what your chances are of getting a 190 visa for Victoria.  From what I hear, the states are getting fed up of people applying for the 190 visa and then not staying in the state, so they're not offering many - they may offer you a 489 instead, but of course there's a chance you might not get invited at all. How long ago did you apply?

I'd say your best bet would be a consultation with one of the agents who frequent these forums.  They'll have some idea, based on their other clients' experience, of what the states are doing, and they'll be aware of all the possible options you could try.  Good luck.

45 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If you've got money behind you, you could check if you're eligible for a student visa.  Your course would be expensive, but you're allowed to work 20 hours a week at the same time. 

I don't know what your chances are of getting a 190 visa for Victoria.  From what I hear, the states are getting fed up of people applying for the 190 visa and then not staying in the state, so they're not offering many - they may offer you a 489 instead, but of course there's a chance you might not get invited at all. How long ago did you apply?

I'd say your best bet would be a consultation with one of the agents who frequent these forums.  They'll have some idea, based on their other clients' experience, of what the states are doing, and they'll be aware of all the possible options you could try.  Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I lodged my EOI on 30/08/2019 - with VIC as my preferred state. I've not lodged any EOIs with any other states as I've heard it can jepordise your chances with Vic, which is ideally where I want to live. I'd have lodged it sooner but one of my previous employers took 12 weeks to come back to me with a statement for my employment, then ACS took a further 12 weeks after that to complete my skill assessment. I do have to get my skill assessment revised so that it includes my Australian employment (all 2 months of it) as I started that after I'd submitted my skill assessment - doubt it will affect anything though.

There's reports of people getting an invite within a week of EOI for Vic, but those tend to be highly sought after skillsets. My occupation code (263111 Computer Network & Systems Engineer) seems to be flooded with applicants, mainly from India / Pakistan from what I've read on the forums.