parents wanting to migrate

Guest hinx

Guest hayshake

My wife and I are at present applying for a contributory parent visa, to be able to go out and join our son and his family in Adelaide.

There are 2 types of parent visa, but the non contributory one has about a 12 year waiting list, as according to the info web page only 100 are allowed in each year.

They allow about 3500 in on a contributory visa, but there are still conditions to be met, like having 50% of your children in Australia to qualify. You also have to pay (we think) about £15000 each, although this can be spread over 2 years.

We understand that the process on a contrib. visa takes about 12 months to complete, and if they have the numbers for that year you have to go on a waiting list.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Hayshake

I've just searched through all your posts to see when you applied for your Contributory Parent visa. June 2006, I believe. In mid-November, a cluster of CP applicants who had lodged their applications in mid-Feb suddenly all heard from COs within days of each other. One or two of the visas might be granted before Christmas, but I'm sure they'll all have their visas by midJan or so.

Remember that once you get to Oz, you *must* notify the POPC in writing within 14 days of your arrival. The told us this in no uncertain terms in the letter acknowledging Mum's application. You must also quote the application number when you send the written notification. Then you will need to write to them again once you get home.

We just sent them ordinary letters confirming Mum's arrival in Oz and then her arrival back in the UK prior to the grant of her visa. We told them that she would be staying with my sister (Mum's sponsor) in Perth and re-confirming Elaine's address etc.

We couldn't really see the point of notifying the POPC that Mum as in Oz, but we decided to play safe and do as their letter commnded.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and have a super visit to Oz.

Gill

Archived