Medicals ~ past mental health issues

Melliah

Hello!

I’m thinking about coming to Australia when I’m done with my PhD. I’ve just taken a look at the medical questionnaire, and now I’m worried that I may never get the chance.

On Form 26 it says:

Have you ever had anxiety, depression or nervous complaints requiring treatment?

and

Have you ever had admission to a hospital for a psychological problem or consulted a psychiatrist?

In 2004 I suffered from panic attacks and attended psychotherapy sessions at a day hospital during the summer holidays. The issues were resolved, and I haven’t suffered from any panic attacks or taken medication for psychiatric problems in the 15 years since finishing therapy.

About ten years later I sought counselling as I was questioning my sexuality. I attended about a dozen sessions and saw a psychiatrist once. I was not depressed; I just wanted some guidance.

I’m incredibly worried that I will be denied a visa due to something that happened over 15 years ago and deciding to consult a psychiatrist just once.

Can anybody ease my fears?

MH is treated as any other condition when it comes to the visa and they're looking at how much it might cost the government.  If you can get a letter from either your GP or psychologist to outline:  What condition, what treatment, how it might still effect you (in your case you have successfully been able to manage your anxiety) and prognosis e.g. it is unlikely that you would require further interventions.  Submit this with your medical.  I did know someone who had experienced depression, they were asked to have a consult with a psychiatrist (just like if someone had high BP and might be asked to see a cardiologist)  who gave a letter and they got a visa.