sponsorship and no idea HELP

Hozza_mh

Hello, 

I'm currently in Australia on a working holiday visa due to expire in November and the company i work for have offered me sponsorship in hospitality to stay, now i have noooo idea what this entails ? costs? how long it will take? or how to find further information on this subject as i wasn't expecting it.

can anyone give me advice or point me in a direction of how to find help?

Hey!

Given that you mentioned it's hospitality, a likely outcome would be to pursue a TSS Subclass 482 visa (2 or 4 year).

The department does an OK job of documenting stuff in an accessible way these days, refer:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-skill-shortage-482

Key starting point would be to ascertain if your employer has ever sponsored before, and if so - how recently, and do they have an existing immigration agent, or plan on using one?

Put (very) simply, a TSS would entail:

1. Employer applying to be a sponsor (they could already be, but if not - advisable to push the conversation on this as a priority)

Refer: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/employing-and-sponsoring-someone/sponsoring-workers/becoming-a-sponsor

2. Employer submits nomination application for your role

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/employing-and-sponsoring-someone/sponsoring-workers/nominating-a-position

3. You submit a visa application in response to the nomination

Refer: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-skill-shortage-482/short-term-stream#HowTo

There are check lists and more in-depth guides available online, have a dig around in the section of the home affairs site linked above.

Costs wise:

1. Employer's sponsor application: $400ish

2. Employer's nomination: $300ish

*Cost 1 and 2: your employer cannot legally ask you to pay these.

3. Your TSS Visa Application: $1,265 (2 year 'short term') or $2,645 (4 year 'medium long term')

There may be documents, police checks and so on you need to arrange for your applications, so don't take the above amounts as total final cost.

Timeline:

Currently pretty quick for the actual visa itself - the TSS visas look to be completed in 30-40 days.

You can find current estimated processing times here: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/global-visa-processing-times

Bear in mind, you cannot submit until your employer is approved as a sponsor and has at least submitted a basic nomination application. So this 30-40 day estimate of step 3 above cannot start until step 1 and 2 are completed, if you follow.

Your priority should be getting your employer set up as a sponsor and having them submit a nomination before you current visa expires. So long as this is done and you get your visa application in (dot point 3 in the process above), then you are issued an automatic bridging visa for the period you're waiting for the visa to be processed, so there's no risk of you having to leave. You just need to get your application in within your time limit really.

I'm no expert on this particular program (the TSS visas), and there may be several other accessible options for you. Getting advice from an immigration lawyer or a registered migration agent could really help clear a lot of things up all in one go. Or, if you're feeling keen, research it all online and in forums and save the money.

Hope this helps a bit as a starting point anyway.

Tom

Edited by millski88

Check your occupation is on the list, and then check you have the relevant experience and qualifications to match. If your occupation is not on the list then it’s a no go even if they are willing to sponsor- they can’t sponsor anyone. You may need a skills assessment for the visas mentioned above. Also bear in mind, they are temporary visas and the expectation is you fill a gap in the market and then go home. It’s difficult to transition to PR from these, they have cut down in recent years. If you think Australia is where you want to be, look into a permanent visa and apply for it now (if you are eligible) don’t expect the pathway to PR to be open in x years time after a temporary visa. 

If you are unsure where to start, it’s a good idea to consult an agent who can tell you what you are eligible for based on your circumstances. You don’t have to employ them for the whole application, you can just use them for this part if you wish. Many who post on this forum will offer a free no obligation assessment too. Make sure they are Mara registered and it’s a migration agent you want, not a lawyer.

Good luck

2 hours ago, Hozza_mh said:

Thank you for your reply this is a great help and will have a look on these links.

The company has done this before and has recommended an immigration service to use.

Bear in mind that THEY are sponsoring YOU.  You can't engage a migration agent to do their work for them, they've got to do that (and pay for it) on their own. You can only do your part of the process, and you'll have to wait until they've got their bit done first.

As Wonderingaloud says, do bear in mind that it's only a temporary visa and you'll probably be going home in 2 to 4 years, but if you just want to extend your stay in Australia for a few years, that's fine.