Canberra to Sutherland Shire High Schools

serendipity77

Hi 

my family of 5 (2 primary school and 1 high school age children)are moving to Sydney from Canberra and although we haven’t yet visited the Shire area yet, From what I have read the area would suit us as a family. 

Could anyone please advise on high schools and what areas I should look to live in? My eldest currently goes to a Catholic HS in Canberra but religion isn’t a factor.  We will be visiting the area over the next week or so and although I have saw nice properties in Oyster Bay, Alford’s Point, Engadine etc.. I have no idea which schools are good and which area I should focus on. 

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide. 

It might depend a little bit on what you can afford to pay for rent/mortgage. Houses towards the rivers/ocean are more expensive than those slightly more inland, and obviously you'd have to be in the catchment for the school so house/rent price would be a factor.

I only have knowledge of Engadine High and Heathcote High, having lived in that area, and although Heathcote High was our catchment school (and not a bad school, by any means), we'd have made a placing request for Engadine. 

There is a selective school in Caringbah, but there are entrance exams for that.