Help! current visa is expiring soon. Got pre-invitation from state already but only have three weeks left

Hi guys, 

so, my situation is I’m on graduate visa (2years) which is expiring in three weeks. However, I already got pre-invitation from State. I submitted all required documents on 24/8/19 and paid for processing fee. 

What if all the process before grant takes longer than three weeks?? 

Do I need to fly back to my country and wait offshore? 

Im super worried at the moment.  

This is what bridging visas are for.

You haven't stated specifically which visa you're going for, but many visa programs include a bridging visa as an interim step. Obviously you must check for the specific visa to be sure, but presuming your new visa does include a bridge visa, then all you need to do is get your application in before your existing visa expires.

Visa app submitted online > Bridging visa issued > Existing visa expires > Bridging visa comes in to effect.

The bridging visas often have tighter restrictions, such as a requirement to formally request to leave the country whilst you're on it, but it saves you from having to leave and wait offshore for your new visa to be processed.

Hope this makes sense - best thing to do is to google "<name of new visa> bridging visa" and thoroughly read any information from immi articles.

Also, if you've already put an application in, there will be a 'bridging visa' section in the accompanying letters/correspondence.

Best of luck.

Edited by millski88
  • Like 1

@millski88 wow. thank you so much for you answer. I am going for 489 and there is bridging visa.

I already got pre-invitation from state. However, the process at the state can take up to 2 weeks to approve all the documents. After that the case will be passed to Home Affairs

I just hope Home Affair would invite me to lodge application for 489 BEFORE my visa expires. I can see so many people who applied before me and have not received any invitation from Home Affair 😞 

Hope I get it soon and good luck to you too!!!

On 25/08/2019 at 14:56, wokeuplikediss said:

Hi guys, 

so, my situation is I’m on graduate visa (2years) which is expiring in three weeks. However, I already got pre-invitation from State. I submitted all required documents on 24/8/19 and paid for processing fee. 

What if all the process before grant takes longer than three weeks?? 

Do I need to fly back to my country and wait offshore? 

Im super worried at the moment.  

If you do not receive an invitation to enable you to lodge the subclass 489 visa in time, you will either need to apply for another visa or leave the country to await an invitation.

16 hours ago, millski88 said:

This is what bridging visas are for.

You haven't stated specifically which visa you're going for, but many visa programs include a bridging visa as an interim step. Obviously you must check for the specific visa to be sure, but presuming your new visa does include a bridge visa, then all you need to do is get your application in before your existing visa expires.

Visa app submitted online > Bridging visa issued > Existing visa expires > Bridging visa comes in to effect.

The bridging visas often have tighter restrictions, such as a requirement to formally request to leave the country whilst you're on it, but it saves you from having to leave and wait offshore for your new visa to be processed.

Hope this makes sense - best thing to do is to google "<name of new visa> bridging visa" and thoroughly read any information from immi articles.

Also, if you've already put an application in, there will be a 'bridging visa' section in the accompanying letters/correspondence.

Best of luck.

Unfortunately that's not how the state sponsored invitation system for the 190 and 489 visas work.

Before you can lodge a visa (thus getting a bridging visa) you need to be invited by the state, lodge an application for state sponsorship, be approved by the state and finally be invited by the Department of Home Affairs to lodge the visa.

It is only at the final visa application stage that you are able to obtain a bridging visa.

There is no bridging visa for lodging an expression of interest or an application for the state to sponsor you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Raul Senise said:

Unfortunately that's not how the state sponsored invitation system for the 190 and 489 visas work.

Before you can lodge a visa (thus getting a bridging visa) you need to be invited by the state, lodge an application for state sponsorship, be approved by the state and finally be invited by the Department of Home Affairs to lodge the visa.

It is only at the final visa application stage that you are able to obtain a bridging visa.

There is no bridging visa for lodging an expression of interest or an application for the state to sponsor you.

Oh thanks! @wokeuplikediss i apologise, i didn't know the system.

@Raul Senise thanks for the reply.

What if I had to leave the country and Home Affairs contacted me, but that time I no longer work in nominate occupation? Would the application get dismissed??

I mean, my occupation is only in the list of “I’m working in Queensland” not “ I’m offshore”

Thanks in advance.  

Edited by wokeuplikediss
More infor

24 minutes ago, wokeuplikediss said:

What if I had to leave the country and Home Affairs contacted me, but that time I no longer work in nominate occupation? Would the application get dismissed??

I mean, my occupation is only in the list of “I’m working in Queensland” not “ I’m offshore”

Thanks in advance.  

But you are not working in Queensland. You’re on a student visa aren’t you?

2 hours ago, wokeuplikediss said:

Thanks in advance.  

I believe that you may be confusing visa requirements with the requirements for the state to offer sponsorship.

4 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

I believe that you may be confusing visa requirements with the requirements for the state to offer sponsorship.

All right. Yeah maybe 😕 Sorry. so you mean it is fine if i have to leave and wait offshore, right?

im thinking of applying for student visa though just in case.  

I actually have consulted the agent. He was just very positive that I will get invitation to lodge the visa. I just want to know If DID NOT GET it. /sigh

15 hours ago, wokeuplikediss said:

All right. Yeah maybe 😕 Sorry. so you mean it is fine if i have to leave and wait offshore, right?

I am giving general information which may be relevant to your situation, which you may consider researching further.

Edited by Raul Senise
  • Like 1