VISA 187 - TAFE occupation

G80

@paulhand can you please advise me; I live in Northern Ireland and I am considering emigrating to Australia with my family where my brother has been since 2010.

I am a college tutor teaching beauty therapy qualified to level 4 HNC and I am currently undertaking a level 5 HND. I have been teaching part time since 2012 with a few breaks in between (maternity leave and so on.) Since 2017 I have been continually working for the same college and will continue to do so until I complete my HND (which will be another 2 years) So my plans to emigrate will not be until then but I would like to know where I stand with applying for a 187 visa and what qualifications do I need for a job within a TAFE college in Australia. I have been advised to undertake a skills assessment but before I pay the fee I’d like to know do I have what it takes now to apply.

Thanks

Gem. 

The 187 visa is being closed in November and will be replaced by a new Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa. You will need your occupation to be on the skills list for this visa at the time you apply and a sponsoring employer. Whether you need a skills assessment will depend on your nominated occupation.

You would need to speak to potential employers about what they are looking for and whether they are prepared to sponsor you.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.

My occupation is on the Combined list of Eligible Skilled Occupations 2019 as:

Vocational Education Teacher - 242211 - Regional - VETASSES 

If this is subject to change, would you advise I wait for the new Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional Visa? 

There is so much info out there so I need someone to guide me through the process.

Gem. 

Realistically - I think it's unlikely that you would get a 187 sorted out from a standing start before the cutoff. If you wanted a fuller review of all your options, then an introductory session with a Registered Migration Agent, might be of help. All the ones who post regularly on here would be able to assist.

• Like 1