482 (TSS) visa vs Permanent residency

CLA81

Hi there

Sorry if this has been asked lots of times, but I'm so confused re types of visa. 

My husband and I, and our 2 children were planning a move to Oz for the end of this year, the ideal was that hubby would find an employer to sponsor him for a 482 visa. However, this is proving more difficult that we thought, so looking at the types of visa, we think our only other option would be to apply for permanent residency; although this seems a bit extreme and takes 6-8 MONTHS to go through?? 

We wanted to be in Oz for 2-3 years, but no set timescale, we were going to see how things went...

Is there no other way of getting over there quicker?? 

Any advice welcome..

Thanks x

8 minutes ago, CLA81 said:

Is there no other way of getting over there quicker?? 

Any advice welcome..

Thanks x

Not really - if neither of you are able to find a TSS sponsor then permanent skilled routes are the likely the only other option and these are time consuming with plenty of hoops to jump through. 

What's your ultimate goal, @CLA81?   

If you're thinking you'd like to migrate to Australia but you'd like to try it out first, I'd be cautious.  

Australia is not desperate for workers any more. The unemployment rate is much the same as the UK.  So every year, it's getting harder and harder to migrate here.   I'm sure you already know that there's a list of occupations that Australia will accept:  you may not know that it's getting shorter and shorter.  

What that means is that yes, you could get a 482 visa - but in 2 years' time, when you've decided you like it and want to stay, you might find your occupation isn't on the list any more, so you'll have missed the boat.   Therefore, if you are interested in migrating, then I'd recommend going for the full visa now.    It is a slow process though - allow a year to get the whole thing done (assuming, of course, that you're eligible in the first place).  

The 482 is your quickest way to get to Australia but it's not easy to find an employer to sponsor you.  Like I said, unemployment is much the same here as in the UK, so it's not like employers are falling over themselves to hire overseas workers. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Thank you.

We were aiming for December, but as I feared, time is running out to meet this deadline. 

We just thought going for sponsored option would be better and quicker, but finding that companies aren't willing to sponsor as we thought they would...

My husband's profession is currently in high demand...

27 minutes ago, CLA81 said:

We just thought going for sponsored option would be better and quicker, but finding that companies aren't willing to sponsor as we thought they would...

My husband's profession is currently in high demand...

Sponsoring an employee has become an expensive and complex business, and the company has to effectively open its books to the government.  So although you say his profession is in high demand, employers have to be really struggling before they'll take it on. 

Even though a profession is in high demand now, it doesn't mean it will still be the case in 2 years.  After all, who'd have thought accountants would ever be at risk of being removed from the lists altogether?

I would never, ever say the 482 visa is better for anyone.  It's a short-term visa.  Your husband will be entirely at the mercy of the employer.  If he doesn't like the job, you'll have to go home.  If the company gets into difficulties and he gets retrenched, you'll have to go home. If they go  bust, ditto.  And you'll have 90 days to do it.  Sadly, some companies are aware of how beholden a 482 holder is, and don't treat them as fairly as they should.  Meanwhile you are not legally resident in Australia but you are no longer legally resident in the UK, so there are hiccups like ineligibility for benefits, you may have to pay school fees even for state schools, you can't buy a property etc.

There is a possibility that at the end of the contract period, the employee may be able to apply for a permanent visa, but that assumes the occupation is still on the list, the qualifications and experience required haven't been upgraded, and thresholds like points for age haven't been changed.   Then you're in limbo while you wait for the decision to come through - take a peek at the threads for the 186 visa and see the amount of stress and anxiety are involved.  

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, CLA81 said:

When you say 'hoops to jump through' what kind of things do you mean? Apologies, having never done this kind of thing before, I have no idea...

Skills assessment, English language test, possibly a state or territory nomination for starters. 

You say occupation is in high demand - what is it? Have you taken a trip to Australia to actually meet potential employers face-to-face, as this can be very helpful? Are you prepared to go to a regional location?

It may be worth a consultation with a Registered Migration Agent to review your options based on all the facts. Any of the ones who post on here are good and will be able to help.