Asthma ?

peggsgreen

Hi all ,

just a question for any asthma sufferers out there in the land down under ?  When we lived in Perth a few years back or son really seemed ok , yet our daughter suffered croup in the Autumn and was often chesty.

Anyhow fast forward a few years and here we are in the UK, Our son aged 15 has had a really rough summer with his asthma , he is under the hospital and on meds to help. Our daughter aged 6 is really suffering , she coughs all night and we are really trying to control it ..... again she is under the Dr. and on meds .

So we have been researching ... and we have had a very humid wet summer here in the UK and asthma sufferers we understand do not like humid air ? 

Now,  we remember that in Oz the heat in Perth was a nice dry air - not humid at all .

We plan to return next year ............... But i would love to hear feedback off folk that have moved to Oz , Are your kids health better being over there ? Or worst .... Or you as an adult - hows your asthma ? Just basic feedback on how asthma has improved or not ? 

thanks in advance guys 

Every asthmatic is different so it’s hard to say. But yes, I’m asthmatic and humidity is a big problem for me.

if your kids are like me, then they couldn’t live anywhere in Eastern Australia, which is far more humid than anything you’d ever get in England. 

Perth or Adelaide would be good choices

• Like 1

ah thanks guys , well humidity seems to be a big trigger i'm thinking for our kids .... as its just sunny and rainy all the time this summer hols , and they have never suffered like this before.

i just presumed that all asthma sufferers preferred dry air - so yes need to look into for certain the trigger for the pair of them .

thanks again 

8 hours ago, peggsgreen said:

ah thanks guys , well humidity seems to be a big trigger i'm thinking for our kids

Actually, humidity is NEVER a trigger for asthma., so you need to look deeper.   Humidity is a problem for me because it encourages the growth of dust mites, and I'm allergic to dust mites.  It also encourages the growth of moulds, and I'm allergic to moulds.   So either of those might be what is triggering your children.  

But alternatively, it could be that the wet, humid weather encouraged an explosion of grasses or plants that they're allergic to.

Asthma is far, far more common in Australia than it is in the UK,.  The upside of that is, you'll find treatments are more advanced so your children will get the best of care.  

The idea that dry air helps asthmatics comes from the old days when TB (tuberculosis) was very common.  It also affects the chest, and dry air helps it, so the British have a long history of people moving to Switzerland to help their "chest complaints".  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Actually, humidity is NEVER a trigger for asthma., so you need to look deeper.   Humidity is a problem for me because it encourages the growth of dust mites, and I'm allergic to dust mites.  It also encourages the growth of moulds, and I'm allergic to moulds.   So either of those might be what is triggering your children.  

But alternatively, it could be that the wet, humid weather encouraged an explosion of grasses or plants that they're allergic to.

Asthma is far, far more common in Australia than it is in the UK,.  The upside of that is, you'll find treatments are more advanced so your children will get the best of care.  

The idea that dry air helps asthmatics comes from the old days when TB (tuberculosis) was very common.  It also affects the chest, and dry air helps it, so the British have a long history of people moving to Switzerland to help their "chest complaints".  

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it . thank you ............ very interesting indeed