TSS 482 - any advice regarding my profile

Hi people ! 

As explained in a previous post, my french company will start (after summer holiday's) the process for moving me in Sydney. We have an office here, and we need some IT guys to help our company growing in Australia and Asia zone.

I am working as System Engineer, since 3y6m years for the actual company, previous job, was the same, for 1 years, and previous one, for 4 years. Before that, i worked as IT Technician for 4 years at least. They plan to move me to Sydney, and they already did it for a colleague, 5 years ago. They want me here for the end of the year, or at least beginning of 2020.

My big concern is, do I need a skill assessment ? I know it is not mandatory for the job I want to apply, Computer network and systems engineer, but I don't have any qualifications, only a school diploma, but as accountant. I started directly to work after this diploma. Do you think I have my chance to get a Visa ?

What is the required work experience needed ? 5 years is sufficient as mentionned in anzsco website ? This mean, only 5 years , or 5years + 2 years ?

Last question is a general one: do you have better chances to get a visa while your company is making Intra-company transfer ? or chances are the same as peoples who have to find a sponsor/job in Australia ?

I know each profile is different, but I just want so advice about mine, and want to avoid failure of my application, this will be a bad event for my managers. That's why I want to be ready and prepare myself, know my chances, and act as consequences before it is too late and before my company start the process with external lawyers to get my visa. 

You / and / company need good advice from a registered migration agent. The entire system is very different to when they previously sponsored. Your situation is complex and the company structure is complex and the department are prone these days to refusals. Expensive and extremely time consuming. 

Thank you very much for your answer, event if it is not a good news for me (nor bad too...)

What do you mean by :

The entire system is very different to when they previously sponsored

I am thinking about asking my company to send me there as an IT field tech.... Is it a suitable option if applying as Engineer is to high for my application ?

Edited by Guest
typo

The visa system has changed since 5 years ago.   

You don't say what kind of visa your colleague had.  If it was a permanent one, that is not practical for you because the waiting time is too long nowadays.   If it was a temporary one, that visa (the 457) no longer exists.

There is a new visa, a 482, which allows you to move to Australia for 2 or 4 years to work for your employer.  After that, you may be able to move on to a permanent visa (or renew the temp one).   The employer will need to hire a MARA registered migration agent to assist them in preparing all the paperwork, as it is complex.  That agent should be able to tell them whether they are able to sponsor you, given your qualifications and experience.

For this visa, it is the employer who should be driving the process and providing you assistance and information on what you need to do - not the other way around!  The 482 visa is for the employer's benefit (to fill a role) not for your benefit.   

Edited by Marisawright

she was transfered with a 457 visa. I don't know what visa she have actually. 

@Marisawright what is your opinion about my case ? I know you said 

The 482 visa is for the employer's benefit (to fill a role) not for your benefit.

but it is also my benefit, I want to go to Australia. 

What do you think about my case ? it is a lost cause ?

2 minutes ago, easyrimka said:

she was transfered with a 457 visa. I don't know what visa she have actually. 

@Marisawright what is your opinion about my case ? I know you said 

but it is also my benefit, I want to go to Australia. 

What do you think about my case ? it is a lost cause ?

If she was transferred with a 457 visa, then that is irrelevant to you. The 457 no longer exists. 

Of course it is useful for you, if you want to go to Australia.  But the government has designed the 482 visa for short-term labour shortages, they do not want you to stay.   So if you are hoping to transfer to a permanent visa later, be prepared for a hard road. 

If your employer does not hire a migration agent to manage the application, then it is probably a lost cause.  They need to hire an agent, then the agent will be able to tell you if you meet the criteria.

I think the best solution for now , is waiting for the migration agent to be hired by my company... 

I am thinking to ask my company sending me there as Hardware Technician, wich is on the short term list, and avoid Systems Engineer wich is too risky. I will have 4 years to find a way for PR (regional subclass for example) or not 🙂. I will discuss that option with the migration agent. 

Thanks a lot for your advices !

• 2 weeks later...

Most people would choose the opposite approach - going for an occupation on the short term lists means you get a 2-year visa only.  Your employer would then need to sponsor you for another 2 years if they still have a position for you, and the end of 4 years you have to either find another option/visa to remain or you must leave.  If you go for an occupation on the medium/long list you are eligible for the pathway to a PR visa.

I agree that your employer should use a migration agent as they can assess the best approach and offer some strategy, as well as explain the required steps (for example, the employer must first advertise the position to demonstrate they tried to hire an Australian before resorting to sponsoring an overseas worker).

Hi, thank you for your answer. The short term list is just a "in case of" solution. I really want to go in Australia with my actual employer. As you may read before, the main issue of my profile is the lack of formal qualifications. But after reading some post's here and expatforum.com , it seem it is not a so big issue in case of IntraCompany transfer. I hope this is true. 

I am still waiting for the migration process to start in September. (yes, I am looking forward for next steps..)