Lost Citizenship applicants

07Nov2017

It recently came to my attention that 2019 Citizenship applications are already getting approved, where as applicants like me are waiting for approval from past 22 months. Please share your timeline here if you are 2017 or early 2018 Citizenship applicant. It would be great to see number of people waiting here and may provide ‘valuable insights’ of the application process.

I assume that now all applicants are equal and for some people the process will last longer depending upon their circumstances. Where did you get your information? This is from the relevant government website:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/citizenship-processing-times

You can see that 90 per cent of applications are processed within 21 months.

Processing times

This table shows how long it is currently taking to process citizenship applications. 

A 'decision' includes applications that have been approved, refused, withdrawn and those that cannot be considered (invalid).

Application type Period counted Timeframe for
75% of applications
Timeframe for
 90% of applications
Australian citizenship by conferral
(general eligibility and other situations)
From date of application to decision 18 months 21 months
From date of approval to ceremony 4 months 5 months
From date of application to ceremony 19 months 24 monthsLost Citizenship applicants
Australian citizenship by descent From date of application to  decision* 54 days 4 months
Evidence of Australian citizenship From date of application to decision* 5 days 11 days

* Allow an extra 10 days after approval of your application for printing and postage of your citizenship document. If you applied from outside Australia, postage will take longer.

Circumstances that affect processing times

Some factors can affect how long it takes to finalise your application. 

These include:

• whether you have given us a complete application, including all the supporting documents
  • how promptly you respond when we ask for more information or documents
  • the time it takes to check the information you have given us
  • the time it takes for information from other agencies, usually for character and national security requirements
  • for applications for evidence and citizenship by descent, the time it takes for the postage of your citizenship document

Last updated: 19 July 2019 (for month ending 30 June 2019)

This has happened before with other visas.  When a backlog happens, in this case because processing stopped for a few months from April 2017.  What seems to happen is when it is realised they cannot catch up new applications are dealt with as they come in whilst another team mops up the backlog.  Any applications that are not perfect and straightforward with all the evidence are pushed to the mop up team to deal with.

Happened to us with our 187 visa, people applying after us were granted before us!

I think we were lucky, we applied for citizenship December 2017 and were citizens in August 2018.  Being in Adelaide helped as there are fewer applications. 

There was a review of the service a while back which was very critical and uncovered many applications that had had no action for months for no apparent reason.  I think they are also understaffed but the systems need looking at.  Seems some applications have for all intents and purposes fallen down the digital version of the back of the filing cabinet!

• Like 2

we applied 1/18 brisbane city

application says 'received' 2/1/18........................ nothing since what so ever 

we are one of these applications that seems to have just been shelved......

we are almost 20 months now but obv 'still within processing times'

whenever we call or email just get same response - WAIT !  and no news is good news  they say 😫 if not been asked for anything extra then sadly we are just in a long line of applications they say ........ oh and then they add 'we can see your application and everything is in order ......🙄

we are a straight forward UK family of 4 going from PR 189 to citizenship  without any issues......living here patiently  .......altho everynow and then i like a good moan ..... 🤣 

until we go over the 90% of cases  at 24 months extreme timeline for no obv reason they adv not a lot they can do  but then go official thro the complaints/ombudsmon service ?????

they still have 4 months to get us a test date-approve us and get us thro a  ceremony  ........ 

has anyone actually gone over 2 years tho yet ??????

21 hours ago, rammygirl said:

This has happened before with other visas.  When a backlog happens, in this case because processing stopped for a few months from April 2017.  What seems to happen is when it is realised they cannot catch up new applications are dealt with as they come in whilst another team mops up the backlog.  Any applications that are not perfect and straightforward with all the evidence are pushed to the mop up team to deal with.

Happened to us with our 187 visa

Given the evidence, this sounds like the most likely explanation 

56 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Given the evidence, this sounds like the most likely explanation 

sadly our application has everything , i could understand if we were complex or had received requests for more info ..... our application is simplest one they can get ..... but maybe they assume as living here/RRV in place/nothing complex its just been dumped somewhere  ......  my work mate applied 1/19 and got test date for 10/19 brisbane city  so you can see why we get a bit disheartened/ frustrated  at times  😔

when it comes thro there will be a party on this forum ! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/08/2019 at 09:38, shiveringpom said:

sadly our application has everything , i could understand if we were complex or had received requests for more info ..... our application is simplest one they can get ..... but maybe they assume as living here/RRV in place/nothing complex its just been dumped somewhere  ......  my work mate applied 1/19 and got test date for 10/19 brisbane city  so you can see why we get a bit disheartened/ frustrated  at times  😔

when it comes thro there will be a party on this forum ! 

Hi 

Have you got your citizenship?

Hi Wrussell,
Sorry for cross posting, I saw your relevant posting related to my situation (below).  Is this true? I have relevant work experience but not relevant qualification and migration agent are also not sure on this. Please advise, 

Thanks

On 26/08/2018 at 12:57, wrussell said:

For a positive pre-migration skills assessment in this occupation ( Project/Program Administrator 511112 Qualification) the academic qualification does not have to be 'highly relevant' depending on the extent of relevant work experience.

Back to the topic: 

From 30 years ago:

‘Accomplish the application, wife. I'll check it.’

‘I  can  accept  the  application, but  I can't  accept  the middle

initial from the Philippine passport.’

‘Who is in charge here?’

‘I am.’

‘Who makes the decision?’

‘I'm the delegate.’

‘What do you recommend?’

‘Your  wife  will  have  to  be  plain  Joy  Logan  from

now on, unless you can produce a birth certificate with her

full name on it.’

The  delegate  has wielded  her  red  pen  and  changed

the name on the application.

‘In  the  usual  course  of  events,  a  woman  does  not

have her married name on her birth certificate.’

‘What about your marriage certificate?’

‘Here it is, Exhibit G, but as you no doubt know, in

the usual  course of events,  the  last  time a woman uses her

maiden name is on her marriage certificate.’

‘I need a document with her full legal name on it.’

‘How  about  the  children's  birth  certificates  or  the

adoption order?’

‘They are not Australian documents. I must have an

Australian document.’

‘Will a photo licence do?’

‘Not acceptable.’

‘You know quite well what her name is. It is on your

computer  a  hundred  times,  along  with  the  unanswered

ministerial correspondence.’

‘I must have a document.’

‘What's the alternative?’

Your wife will have to use the name on her passport,

without the middle initial.’

‘How long will it take to process her application?’

‘Six or eight weeks.’

and later

Sixty  or  so  foreigners  are  about  to  swear  or  affirm

allegiance to Her Majesty Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia.

‘Rather than create a fuss by remaining seated during

the national anthem and the flag waving, I'll wait outside for

you, unless you want me to stay.’

‘I'll cope.’

‘You should have stayed. Talk about laugh.’

‘What happened?’

‘The Filipinas had their names changed.’

‘We knew that was on. Did you get your citizenship

certificate?’

‘Too  right  I  did.  It  was  enormously  amusing.  Our

member of parliament was there with the dignitaries, sound

asleep on the stage.’

‘He was asleep before I left.’

‘When they called my name he was wide awake in a

flash. He nearly fell off his chair.’

‘He must have been only half asleep.’

‘Well  citizen,  let's  go  home  and  tell  the  boys  the

good news, and knock off the bottle of fizzy.’

‘My turn now.’

‘What do you have in mind?’

‘I'm going to write to Bogus and tell him if he wants

to  run  a  Secret  Society,  he  ought  to  go  back  where  he

belongs.’

‘Typical Australian.’

Joy must  change  her  name  on  her  licence  to  drive

and  her  vehicle  registration,  her  bank  account,  Medicare,

social security. Not one of the bureaucrats is willing to do it,

because  she  lacks  sufficient  identification.  A  citizenship

certificate  is not enough. If she can crack one of them, the

others will follow.

‘Do  you want  to  rip Bogus  into  court  to  have your

citizenship certificate amended?’

‘I can think of things I'd rather do to him.’

‘Then  enrol  to vote. When you  receive  an  electoral

claim  form,  you  can  use  that  and  try  to  change  the  other

garbage.’

‘One vote will make no difference.’

‘No number of votes will.’

‘I know what will.’

and THEY have not improved!

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/09/2019 at 16:45, pavy said:

Hi 

Have you got your citizenship?

sadly not- we got an email 19 months after literally nothing  whatsoever from them saying there was an error with our application and to apply again ......fatal error on our part but it took them 19 months to tell us about it sadly so we are back to the start again...... we should be citizens by time 4year RRV runs out  maybe ???? or maybe not at this rate x

• Sad 1

sadly not- we got an email 19 months after literally nothing  whatsoever from them saying there was an error with our application and to apply again ......fatal error on our part but it took them 19 months to tell us about it sadly so we are back to the start again...... we should be citizens by time 4year RRV runs out  maybe ???? or maybe not at this rate x

That’s pathetic. What a shitty process by immigration. I’m still waiting it’s been 23 months now. I still think if you re apply you will get approved before me. I see 2019 applicants getting approvals in 4 months

I don’t know what the error was on your part but if it was something to do with dates/timeline I would hope that it could be picked up immediately, not after 19 months.
However, the process seems to be much faster now so fingers crossed that when you resubmit, it won’t be long to wait.

Ok guys after 23 months of waiting I can confirm my application has been approved today!!! [emoji322][emoji323]
Applied in Nov 2017
Test passed in October 2018
Application approved in October 2019

I had to go through immigration global feedback and put in a query asking why my application has almost taken two years and still there’s no approval.

It seemed to me they had forgotten about my application, they replied to my query after 2 weeks saying that the application is approved today.