Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I've just been sponsored on a TSS 4 year visa, everything has been approved but I just have a few questions.

It says PR is available upon 3 years work and positive skills assessment. Has this already been positively assessed or will I need to go through the rigmarole of getting a skills assessment as if I was migrating through GSM? I've sent my CV and qualifications certs through during the application process but I never get a skills assessment directly myself as everything was done through my employers visa agent.

The need to have health insurance is a pre-requisite, does anyone know the best place for someone from the UK to get the basic policy for this for myself and partner?

Thanks for you help all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, mikemccullough84 said:

It says PR is available upon 3 years work and positive skills assessment. Has this already been positively assessed or will I need to go through the rigmarole of getting a skills assessment as if I was migrating through GSM?

To say PR is "avaliable" is a bit misleading.   After 3 years, you can APPLY for PR.   However, that assumes your occupation is still on the list in 3 years time, and that they haven't changed the age limits or the qualifications required or any other parameters.   To be clear, you have to qualify for PR under the rules as they are at the time you apply for PR, NOT what they were when you got your TSS visa.   Many, many people have been caught out by that and have ended up having to go home - because the rules are tightening all the time, and without warning.

If you're single, then you've got nothing much to lose by going the TSS/PR route, but if you have a family, I wouldn't risk it. 

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that Marisawrightthat is good to know. I'm still going ahead with the visa and seeing how we go. I'm fed up of jump through hoop after hoop only to have the goal posts move so just going to start enjoying ourselves.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mikemccullough84 said:

Thanks for that Marisawrightthat is good to know. I'm still going ahead with the visa and seeing how we go. I'm fed up of jump through hoop after hoop only to have the goal posts move so just going to start enjoying ourselves.

I'm not sure why it would be GOOD to know, since I've just told you there's a fairly high risk you wouldn't be able to get PR after the three years?

Basically, if you want PR and you are eligible to apply for a 189 or 190 now, you'd be much much better to apply for one of those visas. Yes, you'll have a waiting period, but at the end of it, you'll have a long-term visa. 

Go for the TSS and in three years'  time you'll be facing another period of "moving goalposts", stuck on a bridging visa for months or even years, uncertain where your future lies. 

Also bear in mind that on a TSS you're at the mercy of the employer (if you leave the job, you lose the visa), so be sure you check them out thoroughly.  Sadly, some employers take advantage of temporary visa holders because they know you don't want to go home.  Also, of course, if the employer goes bust, then you'll be on the plane home, too.  


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is always good to know where you stand Marisawright, I always try and look at the positives. Got to be able to roll with the punches eh.

We aren't in a position to be applying for PR just at the moment, however should change in the future, you never know what is around the corner. This epic infrastructure budget that the Australian government has got for spending in the next 5 years and the  upcoming mining boom is sure to but some pressure on the labor market. 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikemccullough84 said:

We aren't in a position to be applying for PR just at the moment, however should change in the future, you never know what is around the corner. This epic infrastructure budget that the Australian government has got for spending in the next 5 years and the  upcoming mining boom is sure to but some pressure on the labor market. 🙃

Upcoming mining boom?

The current government is strongly anti immigration so I wouldn’t get your hopes up


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your positive vibes and wealth of knowledge. It is always darkest before the dawn. 

*compare gold price in AUD now to the height of the boom in 2011/12 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t believe in telling people what they want to hear, especially if they’re likely to bet their future on it.


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, mikemccullough84 said:

My whole future depends on it.... I will be nothing without it.

I'm not sure why that's crossed out - but if you really meant it, then that kind of statement is EXACTLY  why I tell people the facts.

If you can read advice about the downsides of migration and you still want to come to Australia, then you're likely to be a successful migrant.  If you dismiss such advice as mere "negativity", then you're probably chasing an unrealistic dream and are heading for a massive disappointment and an expensive mistake.

By all means, make plans to come to Australia, but make sure your expectations are realistic, especially if they are based on rose-tinted memories of working holidays, or  worse, TV programs.  

I like living in Australia - it happens to suit my personality and my lifestyle.  It doesn't suit everyone.   Australia is a first world country like any other.  It has good points and bad points.  It is neither better nor worse than the UK.   Just take a browse round these forums and you'll find large numbers of people who moved here and loved it - but also, equally large numbers of people who moved here and hated it!    

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mikemccullough84 said:

Thanks for all your positive vibes and wealth of knowledge. It is always darkest before the dawn. 

*compare gold price in AUD now to the height of the boom in 2011/12 😉

Actually, if you invested in gold early in the last boom, you would still be crying. when you add in compound inflation, gold hasn't generally performed well at all. 

I am going to add a very big word of caution to your plan if you are coming to work for a miner. Mining budgets change all the time based on a million things, not even necessarily related to the metal price. Though metal price is a factor. But, far from even accounting for 20% of the reasons for change in budgets. These budgets change wildly. I have managed projects which I have been asked to budget $10 million per year, increasing. Then within three months told we have a budget for the year that means in effect nil. 

If you are going on a temp visa to a miner, you should assume you will be returning home sooner than you think. 

Source - senior level geoscientist in the mining industry specializing in gold, but with years of other commodities 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/08/2019 at 17:02, mikemccullough84 said:

Hi,

I've just been sponsored on a TSS 4 year visa, everything has been approved but I just have a few questions.

It says PR is available upon 3 years work and positive skills assessment. Has this already been positively assessed or will I need to go through the rigmarole of getting a skills assessment as if I was migrating through GSM? I've sent my CV and qualifications certs through during the application process but I never get a skills assessment directly myself as everything was done through my employers visa agent.

The need to have health insurance is a pre-requisite, does anyone know the best place for someone from the UK to get the basic policy for this for myself and partner?

Thanks for you help all

You are confusing two different pathways; 186 TRT and 186DE.

A skills assessment is not required under the current 186 TRT rules.

You should explore whether 186 DE would be an option. Although a skills assessment is required for the DE pathway, you don't have to wait 3 years.

  • Thanks 1

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×