Jump to content
Parley

Scams

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

You have no presence on the net then?

Buy almost everything off the internet, cloths food electronics everything, what do you mean?


Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

Buy almost everything off the internet, cloths food electronics everything, what do you mean?

I think just about everybody with a presence has been scammed, I'm very surprised if you haven't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I think just about everybody with a presence has been scammed, I'm very surprised if you haven't. 

What are you on about😂 have you any figures to back up that ridiculous statement, I honestly do not know anyone who has their bank or credit cards scanned and scammed, any links to your statement, as I have already said the elderly are the most vulnerable and that is who the scammers target, how can you be scammed if you buy on the internet by well known companies?   
p.s how many times have you been scammed?

Edited by Perthbum

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

If you dont know , especially if you travel -  put one in your wallet or purse - one either side of your bank cards - they are readily available - 

Scamming of cards is rife now .

It maybe available still , on the daily mail site - they had a walk through a shopping centre , as an exercise,  and scammed approx 10 cards in no time - just by walking past people - worth a watch 

20191114_120241.jpg

You can buy RFID blocking wallets too where the signal from your cards cannot be read somehow.

Even wrapping your cards in aluminium foil might stop them too.

I don't think this happens much in Australia so I haven't bothered, but going somewhere like the airport I would take extra precautions.

  • Like 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were gangs of Romanians in Sydney a few years ago who were putting some sort of device in ATM machines which resulted in cards being scanned and scammed.   I don't know anyone who has been ripped off but I'm very sure it does happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2019 at 08:31, Parley said:

The banks are usually very good and refund the money even when people have compromised their own accounts through being stupid.

Banks don't like bad publicity.

That's changing though - my moms scam - we had a right game getting her money back .

Although it was a scam , and obviously so , there was a paper trail , which made any transaction look legitimate 


BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Toots said:

There were gangs of Romanians in Sydney a few years ago who were putting some sort of device in ATM machines which resulted in cards being scanned and scammed.   I don't know anyone who has been ripped off but I'm very sure it does happen.

I love your naivety toots - tucked away there in tassie - no offence meant 

OF COURSE ITS GOING ON 

The had a spate in ireland a couple of years back , where gangs were pulling up to atm machines in jcb s and pulling the whole thing out of the wall .

The doctoring of atm machines is common .

But the scamming of your cards , whilst in your pocket is a lot less invasive , and more lucrative .

It takes seconds - apparently 

 

  • Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

I love your naivety toots - tucked away there in tassie - no offence meant 

OF COURSE ITS GOING ON 

The had a spate in ireland a couple of years back , where gangs were pulling up to atm machines in jcb s and pulling the whole thing out of the wall .

The doctoring of atm machines is common .

But the scamming of your cards , whilst in your pocket is a lot less invasive , and more lucrative .

It takes seconds - apparently 

 

I hope someone who is a bit more tech savvy  than me can find the daily mail online article and put it up - it's an eye opener .

Iam sure it's going on in australias cities as well 


BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

That's changing though - my moms scam - we had a right game getting her money back .

Although it was a scam , and obviously so , there was a paper trail , which made any transaction look legitimate 

Banks are excellent at giving people their money back, they certainly don’t have to.  People in their thousands sit at home giving complete strangers on the phone all their personal details and the banks will almost always give them the money back. I’m sure many just walk out the bank thinking oh that’s good without actually realising how lucky they are and how grateful they should be that their bank has taken a loss for an error they made. Banks get a lot of bad publicity and they rarely get recognised for doing good. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I think just about everybody with a presence has been scammed, I'm very surprised if you haven't. 

Actually only a tiny percentage of people have been victims of a scam, most definitely not “just about everybody” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

In england , are you serious 😂😂😂😂

Its rife -

1 - friends of ours had their cards hacked at the atm , from a car , by laptop 

2 - another friend in devon of all places , had his card cloned whilst it was in his pocket 

They took £1 to check the card was live - then 9k ,- 9k - 9k - with which they bought stocks and shares - it was only when he went to get fuel again - and his card was declined .

My mom , who is 90 ,had a package arrive - she signed for it .

When I checked the contents , it was cheap costume jewellery , from india - worth a few pence each - i was immediately suspicious , and got onto hsbc bank .

They had taken £1700 - £2200 and would have emptied the account .

We think she has had her card cloned ,by someone walking past her ( that's all it takes , if the card is unprotected ) - the details have been passed onto someone in india - and the scam works , because when the goods arrived , mom signed for them - making it look like a legitimate transaction - clever .

We had a right game getting the money back from hsbc .

After having a word with mom and telling her to be more careful - a month later , I got done .😂

I bought a pair of rayban sunglasses from a legitimate u.k website or so I thought .

When the transaction details came up,  the company was in hong kong .

When the item arrived , it wasn't sunglasses but a scarf - but the company had my card details .

I was straight onto the bank , and shut all my cards down. 

Lesson learned -

Get some security for your cards 

Only buy from the likes of amazon through paypal 

 

 

 

 

Can I ask how your friend knew they’d been hacked at an ATM, by a car with a laptop?  Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I love your naivety toots - tucked away there in tassie - no offence meant 

OF COURSE ITS GOING ON 

The had a spate in ireland a couple of years back , where gangs were pulling up to atm machines in jcb s and pulling the whole thing out of the wall .

The doctoring of atm machines is common .

But the scamming of your cards , whilst in your pocket is a lot less invasive , and more lucrative .

It takes seconds - apparently 

 

Tucked away in Tassie   ................  😄  but yes I have read about all that scamming stuff.  Don't hear much about it happening here but as you say it probably does.

Just watched a documentary about the Crown Prince of Saudi.

"One year after the murder of columnist Jamal Khashoggi, a two-hour FRONTLINE documentary investigates the rise and rule of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia (MBS). Correspondent Martin Smith who has covered the Middle East for FRONTLINE for 20 years examines the crown prince’s vision for the future, his handling of dissent, his relationship with the United States — and his ties to Khashoggi’s killing."

After watching it I'm more than happy to be tucked away in Tassie far away from the total sh*thole that is the Middle East.  😉

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend fell victim to the LINKT scam.

Link is the billing company behind our toll road East Link in Melbourne.

A text message is received saying you owe a small amount eg $5.20 for an unpaid trip. The recipient is given a link to pay the amount.

Unfortunately my friend did this. It is a scam designed to get your banking details. They lost over $1500 and the bank will not reimburse them saying they were at fault.

PS this week is Scam Awareness Week.

Edited by Parley

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Parley said:

A friend fell victim to the LINKT scam.

Link is the billing company behind our toll road East Link in Melbourne.

A text message is received saying you owe a small amount eg $5.20 for an unpaid trip. The recipient is given a link to pay the amount.

Unfortunately my friend did this. It is a scam designed to get your banking details. They lost over $1500 and the bank will not reimburse them saying they were at fault.

PS this week is Scam Awareness Week.

I got that text a couple of weeks ago. Ignored it though as I haven't been near a toll road since 2018!!! However if it had arrived next week I might be more vulnerable as I plan to take toll road tomorrow (but will pay straight away!!!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Parley said:

A friend fell victim to the LINKT scam.

Link is the billing company behind our toll road East Link in Melbourne.

A text message is received saying you owe a small amount eg $5.20 for an unpaid trip. The recipient is given a link to pay the amount.

Unfortunately my friend did this. It is a scam designed to get your banking details. They lost over $1500 and the bank will not reimburse them saying they were at fault.

PS this week is Scam Awareness Week.

e_U3OzvDNUXT2SGah5J8sX_2zBY73Ef2gTuOmxt0IlyvzVcj8x5LQ7s6-EZ9UuqtTdqq-3KaHnAc2eOdaQfX78VFf9lUeSj3ZF0-7hJvf8e4Tp77qVUMFdG5ItGJ_eMPz-3_sFodfOtw33zWVrPXHPyEUlyWTgnWHf1pWQk-Z-p16kfig2uHAPKW6-ZeAQG41aDVG98lLccTTq4je9vP6QOEqKC7XPK8DiZ7Hy7P3AV72RLwgmcgASIeu9e1MTq8N0iYDxqf9yZwTuciK_m0JAZi-lRf1JaMLsQMTUm-naVNZNTYzlJy2R7pRrETB4P2bjG3eOB20QEeMKYAo6q6usOzBrsKdXqejRT_J7rYVm1gbfdcs3lG7XaZitXLg8KxgBTcGb8g9ZNSzB2xspaKls2sLXY_YXahAZXYwUMis82vHsIFXp1FXN4VIC9m_b-UsKRqz9jlxZgnR2MfiDsYQME1fXFd6Kll9BRAtLiFOCIdkCMUnah5okp1D4yq0jqM7rq3EeVQQFmQTd2m555CrePX-OETuZlfCrfUJ2ntdIq_0_a6d8tCkhWRDJmHeVUgc7loYMWuHucEPegFo2ZK18R_vr4l69VCOvHRlvArG-HgOvIqxe3nK7wvzwp5JcGPgthqY6XvFW9ovhxePsbICRM-s5mf0N2GG6GYQt0eFwOOIGO9Xhe5XtHYaOPIqt0_iUZze0ByRiCKOsInuOZ0e00FxEAcAtJ3OTC8xJyemPhTpmN0UYSCDaHGrLN_rCTYt0xDMWHrm15N0_o8E-y-pa2HnryFNMgW6jSrP7aN4CAKCcHh4mE77DN5uBgjYN9ih8cX8OotCKumyHMAy6SJ_l0Ttlh55sYl-vPeoAAIUIS-Fi3Xf-ShyuqHN6m6vtKisfv-TzUgnBgGc2iEuKT8eJbUFyPhmgERAppJki5LTnapbZNKoLrOvAyE26S0C3NWBauzhF_rv3gunv2ZVi926w=w838-h633-no?authuser=0

I got one yesterday, sorry about your friend, but really?!

"you will be punished immediately"🤣

URL that doesn't mention linkt?

 

Even if you thought it maybe genuine, surely you would hop on the app or go to the proper website to check what's going on?

Still, proves that the scam is worth continuing if they can make money from it.  I'm with the bank on this one.

Edited by unzippy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had 3 e mails this morning asking me to open a link to quote for jobs ,a common one is that they have been given your details as the company has gone into liquidation due to family bereavement and you come highly recommended. 
very limited details but just the document to open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not everyone is aware of the dangers and may click on a link without thinking too much about it.

They could send out hundreds of thousands of these messages and if they get a few hundred clicking then they will make a lot of money.

 

  • Like 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rallyman said:

Had 3 e mails this morning asking me to open a link to quote for jobs ,a common one is that they have been given your details as the company has gone into liquidation due to family bereavement and you come highly recommended. 
very limited details but just the document to open. 

You never know what malware you might be downloading onto your computer.


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Parley said:

Not everyone is aware of the dangers and may click on a link without thinking too much about it.

They could send out hundreds of thousands of these messages and if they get a few hundred clicking then they will make a lot of money.

 

It’s just a numbers game for them.  Enough will fall for it and there’s plenty of money to make.  Although some click on a link without thinking, putting bank details in is yet another layer of judgement.  Sadly it will continue to happen and the banks are tough on it now.  Another thing for people to ask themselves,  how does this company know my mobile number.  I’m not sure how Linkt works but many get such texts from places that simply wouldn’t know their number.  Sorry about your friend, it’s such a vile money making business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Parley said:

You never know what malware you might be downloading onto your computer.

Computer is protected 

I was on my phone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/11/2022 at 19:53, Parley said:

A friend fell victim to the LINKT scam....

 The recipient is given a link to pay the amount.

That should have been the first alarm signal:   how many times do people have to be warned not to click on links in messages?   If  you think a message may be genuine  search for the  organisation's website independently.  

Quote

"... you will be punished anyway..."

That should have been the second alarm signal.  No official organisation would say that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Skani said:

That should have been the first alarm signal:   how many times do people have to be warned not to click on links in messages?   If  you think a message may be genuine  search for the  organisation's website independently.  

That should have been the second alarm signal.  No official organisation would say that.

I haven't seen the message myself but i'd be surprised if it contained the bit about you will be punished. No one would believe a text message that said that,

Regarding links, what you say is true, but if someone thinks the message is legitimate then their guard is down.


Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2022 at 09:26, Parley said:

I haven't seen the message myself but i'd be surprised if it contained the bit about you will be punished. No one would believe a text message that said that,

Regarding links, what you say is true, but if someone thinks the message is legitimate then their guard is down.

Today's work of art 🤣

Screenshot_20221117-134916.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, unzippy said:

Today's work of art 🤣

Screenshot_20221117-134916.png

hehe.  that look like me wrote....not look real.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×