Renting in Melbourne - required documentation

AmyLondon

Hi all

My partner and I are making the move to Melbourne at the start of October and are looking for some guidance in terms of renting in Melbourne.  I have heard that it can be a little difficult when you are coming from overseas as you have to provide Australian references and bank statements etc.  Has anyone had any recent experience and if so, what documentation have you been asked to provide? We both have Australian bank accounts but there will be very little funds in there until the end of October when we receive our first months' pay.  To get round this we can provide our UK bank accounts but wondering if this will be accepted? We are also able to provide our employment contracts and we have a reference from our UK landlord. 

To give a bit of background on us - we are a professional couple in our late twenties (solicitor and management consultant) and so we are hoping that this may work in our favour. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

You should be fine.

The key is being able to provide proof of income, a work contract and bank statements will be fine, some form of id will also be needed, a driving licence is ideal but otherwise your passport and visa - the agent wants to know that they aren't taking out a 12 month lease with a tourist who can only stay 3 moths and not work to cover the rent. 

whereabouts in Melbourne are you looking?

• Thanks 1