Scratching your homesickness itch

bug family

12 hours ago, AliQ said:

Well, we're back in the UK for a second time, to "scratch that itch".

It's been well & truly scratched now.

Next stop  ? no idea !

I do hope it's not Australia. Don't get me wrong, I like living here, but let's face it - if you've ping-ponged twice and it didn't work, the third time isn't going to be any different. 

Do you think it's because you and your husband are looking for different things?  Maybe one of you prefers Oz and the other is happier in the UK, so whichever one you choose, somebody can't settle?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I do hope it's not Australia. Don't get me wrong, I like living here, but let's face it - if you've ping-ponged twice and it didn't work, the third time isn't going to be any different. 

Do you think it's because you and your husband are looking for different things?  Maybe one of you prefers Oz and the other is happier in the UK, so whichever one you choose, somebody can't settle?

Hi Marisawright, it's the UK we're ping ponging "on" so to speak

We spent 28 years in Australia, and left only because we wanted a change,  both in a position to travel and both originally from the UK.

Our trial of living in the UK this second time round is NOT as appealing as our first trial, but it's proving to be a very useful exercise as it's really ironing out what we want and what we don't want.

Whilst there has been costs + involved, we believe it's money well spent, it's really opened our eyes living here for a second time round, and living here past that honeymoon phase.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Love visiting , couldn't live there though 

Hi Bunbury 61, I hope you are well,

I totally agree I used to love visiting London...but equally loved going home to the familiarity of north wales, I think that's what made it feel more like an adventure than anything....visiting the big smoke 😀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

also live a very anglicised life here. Outside of my wife and kids, my interests are British politics, current affairs and sports. No disrespect to Australia, but I’ve never been able to develop an interest in the equivalents here.

Funny I am exactly the same (are you in Perth just curious), Probably going to get a bit of stick for this but, I only follow British news and politics and have never been able to find an interest in the Australian equivalents, even the adverts for Australian current affairs and news channels (which get more and more Americanised every day) leave me yawning, they are made out to sound like they have something really important to tell you, but when you get down to it they are extremely dull  (sorry just my opinion)..... I am going home for the first time in 8 years! (did I tell you 😂)  this December  (on my own) I am really looking forward to it, hopefully, next time I go I can afford to take my children and wife  😀

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bug family said:

Funny I am exactly the same (are you in Perth just curious), Probably going to get a bit of stick for this but, I only follow British news and politics and have never been able to find an interest in the Australian equivalents, even the adverts for Australian current affairs and news channels (which get more and more Americanised every day) leave me yawning, they are made out to sound like they have something really important to tell you, but when you get down to it they are extremely dull  (sorry just my opinion)..... I am going home for the first time in 8 years! (did I tell you 😂)  this December  (on my own) I am really looking forward to it, hopefully, next time I go I can afford to take my children and wife  😀

I'm in Melbourne. Funny thing about living here is that you don't have to have an interest in the place to have a nice life here. You can kind of dip into the place as much or as little as you like, and people don't really seem to care. Melbourne's possibly a bit different to other parts of Australia as there are a lot of foreign nationals here, and a lot of them are transient - here for a few years before heading off somewhere else. At least, that's my experience with some of the families that I've met through my kids' schools. As a result, I don't think foreigners here face the same expectation to 'fit in' that they might face in other parts of Australia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

I'm in Melbourne. Funny thing about living here is that you don't have to have an interest in the place to have a nice life here. You can kind of dip into the place as much or as little as you like, and people don't really seem to care. Melbourne's possibly a bit different to other parts of Australia as there are a lot of foreign nationals here, and a lot of them are transient - here for a few years before heading off somewhere else. At least, that's my experience with some of the families that I've met through my kids' schools. As a result, I don't think foreigners here face the same expectation to 'fit in' that they might face in other parts of Australia. 

I think it’s just that Melbourne people are different. I’ve found them less materialistic and less judgmental than Sydneysiders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bug family said:

Just curious AliQ, in what way?

Hi bug family, well, our first "trial" of living in the UK was great, we both enjoyed everything about living back here (Sept to March) and settled well, but after our six month tenancy was up, my husband did not want to stay, so we went back home to Aus.

To cut a long story short, we decided to scratch that itch (I still had it) one more time to be sure, so, we returned, but, it's not like our first experience in many aspects.

We don't find every day life as full filling this time round,. After the initial honeymoon phase of being back again had worn off, it's on to day to day reality.

For us, day to day life is much more enjoyable in Australia, but again, that all depends on what we all, as individuals, like and want to do each day.

I don"t want to get into a debate on UK versus Australia, because we are all individuals, we all like very different things in life, and we also have our own expectations.

However, our ping ponging is now bringing my husband and I together on the SAME page, it's no longer a debate on the UK or Australia.

We'll see our tenancy out and move back next year. We're not unhappy here, far from it, we enjoying it, but we feel day to day life in Australia, for us, is better long term back in Australia.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, AliQ said:

but we feel day to day life in Australia, for us, is better long term back in Australia.

Good for you and well done in giving it a second go, as you say we are all different for some it is home (UK)  for some it is not, I respect and see both points of view

51 minutes ago, AliQ said:

my husband and I together on the SAME page

Great.....any chance of having a word with my wife lol 😬

one final question AliQ if I may ask, do you have any children?

25 minutes ago, bug family said:

Good for you and well done in giving it a second go, as you say we are all different for some it is home (UK)  for some it is not, I respect and see both points of view

Great.....any chance of having a word with my wife lol 😬

one final question AliQ if I may ask, do you have any children?

Hi - no, we don't have children so I suppose that make's it easier for us to travel back & worth, but, we do have a cat - and that gets VERY expensive !

• Like 1

Something out of "left field" makes me homesick (briefly). I was in the Reject Shop at Eastgarden in Bondi Junction today, bought a few things at (I hope) bargain prices and later on today I suddenly thought of my Mum and Dad taking me to a "bargain" shop in Totton, Hants, near our village - Marchwood. They loved going into that shop as they did the car boot at Netley Marsh.

I had my newspaper in the basket and when I paid my bill the price had come off one of the items - OK, a loo brush, I'm not embarrassed. "$12", I  think", I said as one of the staff went off to check the price, and then I realized the price sticker had attached itself to my newspaper.

Is $12 dear for a loo brush? It is quite a posh one, if those things can be posh.  There were cheaper ones. I spent $36.50 in total, on shaving foam, disinfectant, washing up liquid, toilet cleaner, tea tree body wash (got a problem with ordinary soap making my fingers crack), toilet cleaner, batteries and a pen. I only went in there for the pen.

I was just thinking how all the guys I worked with in Southampton were Saints fans (my 2nd team after Spurs) and one of them posted on Facebook a picture of a throng of shoppers at Poundland with the caption "Pompey fans getting their Xmas shopping."

• Like 3

20 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Is $12 dear for a loo brush? It is quite a posh one

Hi MaryRose02 well that depends on how posh the bathroom is lol 😀

You are completely correct that it is sometimes the simple, unobvious  that gets us the most, almost like after a death (without being too morbid) the longing for home hits you when you sometimes least expect it, I remember after my dad tragically died, of all the items and memories, it was his old tatty slippers that broke me, so innocuous an item,  yet oh so painfull in the context......... 

20 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I only went in there for the pen.

I always do this... I am so annoyed with myself when I do hahaha 😆

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bug family said:

Hi MaryRose02 well that depends on how posh the bathroom is lol 😀

You are completely correct that it is sometimes the simple, unobvious  that gets us the most, almost like after a death (without being too morbid) the longing for home hits you when you sometimes least expect it, I remember after my dad tragically died, of all the items and memories, it was his old tatty slippers that broke me, so innocuous an item,  yet oh so painfull in the context......... 

I always do this... I am so annoyed with myself when I do hahaha 😆

I'm the same.  Go into the Reject Shop for an item and come out with at least 3 other things.  Always useful things mind you.  🙂

• Like 2

On 20/08/2019 at 19:42, Toots said:

I'm the same.  Go into the Reject Shop for an item and come out with at least 3 other things.  Always useful things mind you.  🙂

I love the reject shop...got some mulled wine scented candle wax for my wax heater for $2:50, a bargain as the house now smells of wine and cinnamon  very Christmassy lol 😆

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bug family said:

I love the reject shop...got some mulled wine scented candle wax for my wax heater for $2:50, a bargain as the house now smells of wine and cinnamon  very Christmassy lol 😆

Me too - got some great bargains 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 21:42, Toots said:

Never, ever join Costco ! Sometimes I go in for bread and spend $200 on stuff we don’t really need ! Today I managed to only spend 60 odd dollars - but I only went in for a roast chicken.

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2019 at 21:42, Toots said:

You think you have problems. The Reject Shop is opposite Aldi here, so after walking around the central aisles in Aldi then popping into the R Shop, a quick trip for a few groceries can end up with a few extra bargains.

• Like 3

On 17/08/2019 at 18:30, Marisawright said:

I think it’s just that Melbourne people are different. I’ve found them less materialistic and less judgmental than Sydneysiders

Interesting you say that I find Melbournites just as materialistic and judgey(God forbid you don't like/follow sport...oooof! lol) . I've lived here 25 years. Even my own Family Aunt/her kids, cousin and her hubby. All about the houses/horses/money/lifestyle/keeping up with the Joneses. Then again that's never been my persona, so probably wouldn't matter where I lived.  /shrug. Each to their own 😉 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vickie78 said:

Interesting you say that I find Melbournites just as materialistic and judgey(God forbid you don't like/follow sport...oooof! lol) . I've lived here 25 years. Even my own Family Aunt/her kids, cousin and her hubby. All about the houses/horses/money/lifestyle/keeping up with the Joneses. Then again that's never been my persona, so probably wouldn't matter where I lived.  /shrug. Each to their own 😉 

I lived in Perth for a few years and Sydney for a lot more than a few years.  Sure there are materialistic people in both those places but my friends aren't like that and neither am I.  In reality there are materialistic people in every country.  I just laugh at them and also feel a wee bit sorry for them.  Don't find many people like that here in Tassie.  Bound to be a few of them around but they are easily avoided.  😎

• Like 1