and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Stop the boats!

59 minutes ago, Parley said:

There is a great mini golf in Chirnside Park

I can’t remember the name of where we went, I’ll have to ask my son.  If it’s not the one you mentioned I’ll tell him about it, thanks. 

20 hours ago, Parley said:

There is a great mini golf in Chirnside Park

@Parley, the place we went to was called Yarra Bend. It was a great place 

• Like 1

What's "the new service industry economy"stacking shelves and working at Tesco? 

Look into it a lot more broadly and deeply. What you’ve advised about is not it, that’s more the gig economy

On 14/02/2020 at 12:45, Parley said:

It is a dying game though.

Hard to justify the amount of prime land it takes up in our suburbs.

Not here mate. Courses are pretty packed. Been for a round this morning, tee'd off at 06:40 and it was busy.

• Like 2

I don’t play but my husband does and they always have to book first. Wouldn’t say it was a dying game here either. Probably depends on the demographics of a particular area.

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I don’t play but my husband does and they always have to book first. Wouldn’t say it was a dying game here either. Probably depends on the demographics of a particular area.

I don't play either but husband does.  In fact it's where he is right now   .............  though more likely in the club house now. 😉

Devonport golf club

devonport golf club.jpg

devonport golf club1.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, simmo said:

This could be problematic.

It’s going to cause massive problems. I do think Turkey have had enough. They have millions of refugees there and appear to get little help.  You can’t really blame them but my god it’s going to cause problems fir Europe. That includes as of course and the already thousands and thousands that manage to get here will become so many more.  They do have such a horrible existence, it’s such a shame and it will be a bad situation for all. 

• Like 1

On 29/2/2020 at 12:57, Tulip1 said:

It’s going to cause massive problems. I do think Turkey have had enough. They have millions of refugees there and appear to get little help.  You can’t really blame them but my god it’s going to cause problems fir Europe. That includes as of course and the already thousands and thousands that manage to get here will become so many more.  They do have such a horrible existence, it’s such a shame and it will be a bad situation for all. 

Actually 5805 refugees accepted by UK 2018

Migration Watch, 13 August 2019

In response to a journalist tweeting that “the only refugee the British government wants to support is a cartoon bear”, the think tank Migration Watch claimed that the UK resettled more refugees from outside Europe than any other EU member state in 2017. The government has previously made a similar claim: "Since 2016, Britain has resettled more refugees from outside Europe than any other EU state”.

Both statements are correct, but there’s some important context which many people might not have picked up from the wording.

The term “resettled” is very important here. “Resettled refugees” are not all refugees which a country might take in. It refers to refugees who were resettled in a new country as part of a specific scheme run by that country. Most refugees arrive in the EU as asylum seekers, not as people being resettled as part of a scheme.

Four EU countries granted asylum to more refugees than the UK in 2017, and three did in 2018.

Who is a “resettled” refugee?

Eurostat data shows that in 2017 the UK resettled more refugees (6,210) than any other EU country in 2017. The next-highest levels were in Sweden (3,410) and Germany (3,015).

In 2018, the UK again resettled the most refugees (5,805), ahead of France (5,565) and Sweden (4,935).

A resettled refugee is someone who has been granted permission to reside in a state as a refugee, as part of “a national or Community resettlement scheme”. Most resettled refugees arrive in the UK directly from refugee camps. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) officials determine whether an individual is a refugee while they are in a refugee camp, and the UK then decides who will be offered resettlement.

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

In response to a journalist tweeting that “the only refugee the British government wants to support is a cartoon bear”, the think tank Migration Watch claimed that the UK resettled more refugees from outside Europe than any other EU member state in 2017. The government has previously made a similar claim: "Since 2016, Britain has resettled more refugees from outside Europe than any other EU state”.

Both statements are correct, but there’s some important context which many people might not have picked up from the wording.

The term “resettled” is very important here. “Resettled refugees” are not all refugees which a country might take in. It refers to refugees who were resettled in a new country as part of a specific scheme run by that country. Most refugees arrive in the EU as asylum seekers, not as people being resettled as part of a scheme.

Four EU countries granted asylum to more refugees than the UK in 2017, and three did in 2018.

Eurostat data shows that in 2017 the UK resettled more refugees (6,210) than any other EU country in 2017. The next-highest levels were in Sweden (3,410) and Germany (3,015).

In 2018, the UK again resettled the most refugees (5,805), ahead of France (5,565) and Sweden (4,935).

A resettled refugee is someone who has been granted permission to reside in a state as a refugee, as part of “a national or Community resettlement scheme”. Most resettled refugees arrive in the UK directly from refugee camps. United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) officials determine whether an individual is a refugee while they are in a refugee camp, and the UK then decides who will be offered resettlement.

Yes, that’s a refugees we accepted under a settlement agreement.  Still millions in the camps in Turkey though but not for much longer it seems! 

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Oh migration watch is ok now?

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

Yes, that’s a refugees we accepted under a settlement agreement.  Still millions in the camps in Turkey though but not for much longer it seems! 

Yes because Erdogan  is weaponising refugees because the EU are critical of him ad his motives.

Many of the refugees are in Syria and being supported by the UN and NGO's