Confused on Return Residents Visa

richselina

Hi,

We have PR Visas (190) which expire in Sept 2022.  Unfortunately we haven't had the opportunity to move for family reasons, but will now be moving in the Spring of next year.  I know in order to qualify for a RRV from the expiration of the visa you need to have two years residency as a minimum which we will have, but I'd appreciate understanding whether in the two years that qualify you are permitted to enter and leave the country on holiday, or if you need to have two years continual residency.

Would appreciate any guidance on this.

I assume you made your validation visit?   

Once you have arrived in Australia, you can still go on holidays as often as you like up until September 2022 because your two years doesn't have to be continuous.  However any time you spend outside Australia won't count towards your two years' residency.

Thanks for this.

Yep, visa was activated a few months after the grant so we are okay with that.  We've also spent about a month in Aus between the grant and now on hols and reccie trips.

Do you need two years residency before Sept 2022, or is it two years from when you apply for your RRV ?  So if we don't travel out of Australia until say for example Feb 2023 but have taken hols before Sept 2022 for a few weeks then we will be fine ?

Thanks 🙂