187 Visa query

Visasa

I will like to know if one can change occupation under 187 visa direct entry. Like moving to higher position within the same company. I am less than 7 months since the grant of visa and i have worked for the company in the same sponsored position  for 3 years (full time for 2 years and part time for one year).

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I would have thought you could telephone the Immigration Department/Home affairs with that sort of query?

From within Australia

Telephone: 131 881

Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us/telephone/in-australia

Surely you have been on this site long enough to know that ringing Immigration is a bad idea.

Far better for the poster to contact a registered agent. 

On 27/08/2019 at 23:01, Nemesis said:

Surely you have been on this site long enough to know that ringing Immigration is a bad idea.

Far better for the poster to contact a registered agent. 

Look, you could be right but I wasn't aware that it is a bad idea for a member of the public to ring a government department, and if you are right then does it apply JUST to the Immigration department, or to all government departments, both State and Commonwealth?

There's nothing wrong with using a registered migration agent just as there is nothing wrong with using a registered tax agent to process your tax returns. I do myself but many people just register for Mygov and do their own returns. If you do that and you have a query with your tax return what do you do then? "Better not call the ATO because that is a bad idea". Go to a tax agent? It might be a good idea especially if your tax affairs are complicated. You still have to pay the tax agent although the fee is tax deductable. Not sure about a migration agent's fee though?

As I mentioned on another post, and also with the experience of working for another government department, I fancy some people are frightened to ring, in case they've done something wrong, perhaps.

You have "piqued" my interest though and I think I might do some research of my own. I could write to my local (Commonwealth) MP - Tanya Pibersek, something I've never done before. "Ar you aware that people are frightened to contact the Immigration department?" Or I could ring the relevant department - Foreign Affairs perhaps, and ask how long it takes to process an application for citizenship. I know someone who is still "just" a permanent resident.

Back in the 19th (sic) century when I was applying for a visa I did it all myself, contacting the relevant government departments and making trips up to London.

20 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Look, you could be right but I wasn't aware that it is a bad idea for a member of the public to ring a government department, and if you are right then does it apply JUST to the Immigration department, or to all government departments, both State and Commonwealth?

There's nothing wrong with using a registered migration agent just as there is nothing wrong with using a registered tax agent to process your tax returns. I do myself but many people just register for Mygov and do their own returns. If you do that and you have a query with your tax return what do you do then? "Better not call the ATO because that is a bad idea". Go to a tax agent? It might be a good idea especially if your tax affairs are complicated. You still have to pay the tax agent although the fee is tax deductable. Not sure about a migration agent's fee though?

As I mentioned on another post, and also with the experience of working for another government department, I fancy some people are frightened to ring, in case they've done something wrong, perhaps.

You have "piqued" my interest though and I think I might do some research of my own. I could write to my local (Commonwealth) MP - Tanya Pibersek, something I've never done before. "Ar you aware that people are frightened to contact the Immigration department?" Or I could ring the relevant department - Foreign Affairs perhaps, and ask how long it takes to process an application for citizenship. I know someone who is still "just" a permanent resident.

Back in the 19th (sic) century when I was applying for a visa I did it all myself, contacting the relevant government departments and making trips up to London.

As I mentioned in my other post, the immi helpline is outsourced to Datacon. I don't think people are scared to call it - it gets 1.5 million calls a year, but those that do don't always get good, or accountable, advice from it.

Citizenship is processed by Home Affairs and they do publish their processing times online.

Back in the day (I assume you mean 20th century 😉) the Department was indeed more accessible and more helpful. I was even counselled, by the embassy case officer, on which occupation to use to apply for a skilled visa!