timing putting in an EOI for 189 visa

excitedbutterrified

Yesterday I sat the PTE english academic exam and got good enough scores for "superior english" - which my wife laughed heartily at! And with a positive skills assessment, I'm ready to put in an EOI for a 189 visa.

We are looking to go on holiday to Melbourne over the Christmas period next year so flying out mid / late december, and we would want this to be the first entry visit to validate the visa (we would actually emigrate permanently in 3/4 years from now) . I understand the last date of entry is usually set at 1 year from the date of medicals and police checks. 

My question is : how long after receiving an invitation - or submitting the application proper -  would medicals and police checks usually need to be completed? 

I am itching to put in the EOI as its something ive been wanting to do for ages, but we worry that if we received an immediate invitation, in order not to waste it, things could move more quickly than fits in with our current holiday plans.  That being said, I want the EOI in ASAP to give the greatest chance of success - after all we can change our holiday plans.

This may all be academic as I wouldn't have had enough points based on the last invitation round (we have 75 and looks like the minimum was 80) but I see that this threshold changes month by month! 

Yes, the threshold changes frequently, and over the last few years it has risen substantially.   With that in mind, I think it's foolhardy to delay applying because you think you might not be ready to go.  You  might find the points have soared past what you could achieve, or some other rule changes, or your occupation gets taken off the list.  Any or all of those things can happen without warning. 

Thanks for comments

Does anyone know if the COs are ever flexible on the timing of the process to fit in with plans such as ours? 

As I understand it, the first entry restriction is based on the expiry of police checks and medicals. I  imagine, that even if we were invited to apply tomorrow, we could easily expect the application process to extend beyond December (by using up all of the 60 days to put in the application and not front loading all the documents)  However I'm not sure at what stage the CO would request police checks and medicals, and if we did have to provide them earlier than the end of this year that would present a problem, but we could obtain new police clearances etc.. Just a thought.

As I say, at the moment, our points tally isn't enough at 75, so this may all be academic anyway!

1 hour ago, excitedbutterrified said:

Thanks for comments

Does anyone know if the COs are ever flexible on the timing of the process to fit in with plans such as ours? 

As I understand it, the first entry restriction is based on the expiry of police checks and medicals. I  imagine, that even if we were invited to apply tomorrow, we could easily expect the application process to extend beyond December (by using up all of the 60 days to put in the application and not front loading all the documents)  However I'm not sure at what stage the CO would request police checks and medicals, and if we did have to provide them earlier than the end of this year that would present a problem, but we could obtain new police clearances etc.. Just a thought.

As I say, at the moment, our points tally isn't enough at 75, so this may all be academic anyway!

No, they don't change the validation date to fit in with holiday plans, sorry

Thanks Nemesis, I suspected as much! I guess that's the nature of bureaucracy!

Is there anyone who has recently been through the process for 189 who could tell me the exact stage that police and medical checks have to be submitted.  I have heard slightly conflicting info, some info states the CO will request both towards the end of the process as the last steps, other say the police checks need to go in with the initial application, with the medicals later.

Probably over-thinking this stuff, but I'm a worrier.

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, excitedbutterrified said:

Thanks Nemesis, I suspected as much! I guess that's the nature of bureaucracy!

Is there anyone who has recently been through the process for 189 who could tell me the exact stage that police and medical checks have to be submitted.  I have heard slightly conflicting info, some info states the CO will request both towards the end of the process as the last steps, other say the police checks need to go in with the initial application, with the medicals later.

Probably over-thinking this stuff, but I'm a worrier.

Thanks again!

The former. The co will request both towards the end of the process 

Well, we have put our EOI in yesterday, but we are slightly (majorly) deflated that our chances don't look fantastic at the moment based on the online reaction to the August invitations.

We have 75 points, (25 Age, 20 English, 15 education, 15 experience) which looks to be very sketchy for getting an invitation at the present time. 

Let the waiting commence!