Mackay, Townsville or Cairns

Canada2Australia

Okay, so I'm about to have a meeting regarding my relocation from Darwin to one of these three cities (Yay!). These are the three options. Townsville, which is my favourite out of all three, is the least likely to happen unfortunately, so it's more realistically between Cairns and Mackay. I've spent some time in Cairns (seversl weeks) and Mackay (several months). I have far more connections in Mackay, but like Cairns more overall. Mackay is a regular blue-collar working town (which I like), but it's far less connected to the world by air (which could be a problem for me when travelling being such a milkrun community). Cairns is much more accessable and has more things to do,  but is also an annoying tourist trap, I'm aware. Mackay might also be more affordable.

Ugh, this is so crazy. I want to finally pick a spot I can settle down for good, but I'm torn. Again, I prefer Cairns, but Mackay as has appeal. 

Just curious to see what anyone else who has experience living in either or both cities think. Or which would anyone choose if these were their options.

Cheers

Edited by Canada2Australia

As a champion ditherer and sufferer from "choice anxiety", I recommend thinking of it as "three right choices." More practically, maybe spend a couple of weeks in each town and see which "grabs" you. I have never been north of Gympie. After two recent trips to the Gold Coast with no preconceived ideas, I liked Surfers Paradise, liked Broadbeach even more, did not like Southport, Coolangatta or Tweed Heads. It was purely subjective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

Guest The Pom Queen

I’ve lived in Cairns and Townsville,  I’ve children in both, I’ve visited Mackay.

My favourite is hands down Cairns. You say it’s a tourist trap but unless you live on the front or do the tourist attractions  you won’t ever see any. 

‘If my Health was perfect I’d be back to Cairns tomorrow 

‘What you need to consider is employment opportunities, Cairns will have the least chance of work

4 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

As a champion ditherer and sufferer from "choice anxiety", I recommend thinking of it as "three right choices." More practically, maybe spend a couple of weeks in each town and see which "grabs" you. I have never been north of Gympie. After two recent trips to the Gold Coast with no preconceived ideas, I liked Surfers Paradise, liked Broadbeach even more, did not like Southport, Coolangatta or Tweed Heads. It was purely subjective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

I am currently in Mackay right now, and will likely be on secondment here until the end of the year. And I do like it quite a bit, but I'm still feeling Cairns as a slight edge, and would be better for suited for my lifestyle.

I probably am acting rather anxious and panicked, simply because I've been wanting this for so long and want ro make the right choice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I’ve lived in Cairns and Townsville,  I’ve children in both, I’ve visited Mackay.

My favourite is hands down Cairns. You say it’s a tourist trap but unless you live on the front or do the tourist attractions  you won’t ever see any. 

‘If my Health was perfect I’d be back to Cairns tomorrow 

‘What you need to consider is employment opportunities, Cairns will have the least chance of work

Yeah I have been thinking about that. However there are quite a few businesses in my industry up in Cairns. In all three cities actually. It doesn't concern me at this point, but perhaps down the road may become an issue depending if my situation changes. That's the risk of living in smaller, remote cities I guess.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Parley said:

I do like Mackay.

Right on. 

So I will be moving to Mackay by the end of the year. I will be able to work with the team here for up to a year,  and then have the option of moving to Cairns. So I can have the best of both worlds if I so choose.

I feel very blessed to be part of a company that is bending over backwards to cater my desires. I've never had that experience with an employer before, and I must say it's a refreshing change! 

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 2

With the affordability thing, Mackay is on the cusp of another big upswing in housing prices: there's been a dramatic downturn in vacancies for rentals particularly.  We always say we pay over the odds for stuff because of the "mining tax" - the assumption that everyone's working out west and has spare cash to burn.

I don't know what industry you're in but I've seen friends who appear trapped a bit in Cairns - the jobs market seems to be quote small from what they've said, and to progress they've been forced to move out of town.  however, if you're within a company structure that might not be a major concern for you.

Enjoy the glorious winter weather here, it must be really cold for you compared with Darwin!

18 hours ago, Eera said:

With the affordability thing, Mackay is on the cusp of another big upswing in housing prices: there's been a dramatic downturn in vacancies for rentals particularly.  We always say we pay over the odds for stuff because of the "mining tax" - the assumption that everyone's working out west and has spare cash to burn.

I don't know what industry you're in but I've seen friends who appear trapped a bit in Cairns - the jobs market seems to be quote small from what they've said, and to progress they've been forced to move out of town.  however, if you're within a company structure that might not be a major concern for you.

Enjoy the glorious winter weather here, it must be really cold for you compared with Darwin!

I'm in the environment consulting industry, and all the big (and some of the small) players are in all three cities. I'm also working on secondment for QLD Transport and Main Roads, so I'm making connections there as well. All in all, I feel like I have real security in the job security and backup plans out in FNQ, and it's certainly higher and more plentiful than in Darwin or all of the NT combined!

• Like 1

I'm in geotech and enviro consultancy as well, do a fair bit with TMR so I'll probably see you around the tracks somewhere!

13 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

I'm in the environment consulting industry, and all the big (and some of the small) players are in all three cities. I'm also working on secondment for QLD Transport and Main Roads, so I'm making connections there as well. 

I wouldn't be too worried about Cairns being a "tourist trap". I've lived in Cape Town and now live in Bath which are both big tourism destinations and I don't think tourism is much of an issue. Tourists and locals tend to go to different places. I don't have much reason to go into the centre of Bath so tourists don't have much of an impact on me. Tourism in Cairns seemed rather small scale from what I saw of it when I went in September a few years ago from a European point of view. OK there were tourists at the esplanade but it didn't seem to be spoiling the enjoyment of people who appeared to be locals jogging, using the outdoor gym etc. 

• Like 1