register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Nurrishd

Best way to rent/live whilst job hunting

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions/advice on how to approach my upcoming move.

Arriving into Sydney with my Wife on 16th November, hiring a car and staying over the night there.  Over the next 5 days we are going to be travelling up the east coast making our way to our final destination of Brisbane.

I am thinking the easiest way is to rent an Airbnb for maybe a month and hit the job hunt as soon as I arrive.  Once I have work its at this point I would be able to look for a longer term rental.

Anybody did similar to this or possibly suggest an alternative way

Many thanks

That sounds sensible but you may find that arriving in November the job market will be very flat. Aus tends to shut down Dec/Jan for long term jobs and they always reckon that finding your first job can potentially take you several months (increase that if Christmas falls in the middle) so you may just need to take a punt on accommodation and 4 weeks should give you enough time to find somewhere you'll not mind living in. Hopefully, if you haven't got work at that point, where you choose will give you reasonable access to wherever the job may eventuate.

Optimistic to assume you’ll find permanent work in a month. Most people have to commit to a rental before they find a job. 

I would say, forget the 5 day meander from Sydney to Brisbane. You’ve got the rest of your lives to your Australia and you need to watch your pennies in case the job hunt takes a while

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

I think the 4 weeks holiday let will give you time to find rental accommodation.  I don't think you can guarantee that you'll find work (some have and some haven't).  From reading the boards over several years - it seems that usually, people arrive with at money enough to live off/pay rent etc., for 6 months in case they don't find work right away.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows