register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

BacktoDemocracy

Australia and Climate Change

16 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

The elephant in the room for Australians in the areas affected during the recent bushfires , is the effect the floods have had on the dams - washing silt and shit into a large area of fresh water .

This makes the water inert and unfilterable .

I have had that 1st hand from a relative who works in the industry 

Yeh it will be a problem for a while, but they'll sort it out. Sure they've had to deal with it before.

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yeh it will be a problem for a while, but they'll sort it out. Sure they've had to deal with it before.

National geographic article online 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

12 hours ago, ssiri said:

So you aren’t just a retired expert fire chief, you are a climate science expert as well now are you?

What else? Do dazzle us.

Oh, don't make that mistake. I am neither, but then neither are you, but you are far more neither than most of the subject matter here on CTF Try again.  There are no fire "chiefs" in Austalia, the UK, US etc.

Edited by Dusty Plains

9 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Its a normal pattern. A month into the recent fires a group of us agreed that this would inevitably mean floods.  Its usually the case.

On 15/02/2020 at 16:25, Bulya said:

It never has been.  Hard to believe what we’ve had over the last two months, just missing the locusts...

Locusts? Don't mention Locusts. All the climate change tragics on here will be busily trolling through the Guardian looking for even the most tenuous link between locusts and climate change.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ssiri said:

So you aren’t just a retired expert fire chief, you are a climate science expert as well now are you?

What else? Do dazzle us.

I am not here to dazzle anyone, just to point out that there are two sides to every argument. 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Locusts? Don't mention Locusts. All the climate change tragics on here will be busily trolling through the Guardian looking for even the most tenuous link between locusts and climate change.

My apologies 

11 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

National geographic article online 

Suggest people on here check it out .

That means you backtodemocracy ,before you start putting up smiley face emojis , when 1 billion animals have died , and the fires covered an area the size of Portugal. 

The danger to fresh water being contaminated, especially in the sydney area  , is real .

The danger to aquatic and marine life is real 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Suggest people on here check it out .

That means you backtodemocracy ,before you start putting up smiley face emojis , when 1 billion animals have died , and the fires covered an area the size of Portugal. 

The danger to fresh water being contaminated, especially in the sydney area  , is real .

The danger to aquatic and marine life is real 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8006787/Raging-bushfires-control-floods-spark-fears-contaminated-drinking-water.html

It does not make water inert, in uk water take offs are put in the centre of the reservoir and below water level to avoid silt and debris contamination.

15 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

I've already heard ABC radio link the bushfires and locust plague to climate change. 

I remember seeing black and white films when I was very young about Locus Plagues in Africa.

1 minute ago, Paul1Perth said:

I've already heard ABC radio link the bushfires and locust plague to climate change. 

I remember seeing black and white films when I was very young about Locus Plagues in Africa.

We have had locust problems here as well, probably 15 -20 years ago. Not exactly in plague proportions but quite a bother for the primary producers across western NSW. 

Gotta love Aunty ABC.  They just got beaten up in court over challenges to the AFP raiding the ABC offices in Sydney.  The ABC actually believed that it was OK to air portions of leaked defence documents in relation to operations in Afghanistan. The ABC lost, of course and you and I have to pick up the court costs,

More evidence that the luvvies down at Aunty really believe they are very special people and that they have advice for us on how to live our lives.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

While we aren’t mentioning Locusts, we drove through miles and miles of locusts in 2010 when we were driving near Parkes NSW. It was awful and the smell of the cooked locusts on the radiator took ages to get rid of. It was quite surreal, windscreen wipers totally covered and useless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Heard them saying on the radio that for Victoria at least our temperatures in January and February 2020 have been below average for these months and our rainfall has been above average for these months.

So a pretty mild summer really, although we have had a couple of hot days as you would expect at this time of year. But quite a few cool wet weeks too.

• Thanks 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Heard them saying on the radio that for Victoria at least our temperatures in January and February 2020 have been below average for these months and our rainfall has been above average for these months.
So a pretty mild summer really, although we have had a couple of hot days as you would expect at this time of year. But quite a few cool wet weeks too.

There is nothing remarkable about what you’ve said, from a image change perspective, where frank one - of events (the storms in Sydney, last happened 30 years ago, happening more frequently.

Climate scientists have said all along that freak weather patterns will become more frequent (heat, cold, rain- either when not expected, or in the wrong season, more frequently)

Large scale, devastating floods almost every year or two years in the UK has become a staple in the last four - six years ( as opposed to the rivers just breaking their banks every now and again. People have aleTs lived in the flood plus I think UK and there is a housing shortage - builders aren’t keeping up with demand, so no - it’s not like there is a ‘stampede’ of houses being built all over the place to unmanageable proportions (which is commonly what the climate denial cult zealots trot out)

3 hours ago, simmo said:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/patrick-moore-climate-doubter/

I'm afraid he's a con merchant. He was trying out environmentalism, found out there was a lot more money in working for nuclear power and carbon industries and seems to hire himself out on the back of his Ph D from the 1970's to the likes of Fox News and Trump as a useful turncoat.

He was around in the chaotic beginnings of Environmentalism in Canada and happened to crew on a boat that was subsequently renamed Greenpeace as part of his PhD, seems to be his one claim to fame

I mean come on, you can do better than this

I wonder if ‘ global warming’ will be around in 10 years time or will they have something else to focus on ? Possibly infections, man made of course through the food chain.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I wonder if ‘ global warming’ will be around in 10 years time or will they have something else to focus on ? Possibly infections, man made of course through the food chain.

It will be more apparent in 2030 and irreversible.

There will still be other issues of course.  Wars, crime, disease, economic problems and of course, Brexit and these will dominate headlines for the most part.

Edited by Gbye grey sky
  • Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

2 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/patrick-moore-climate-doubter/

I'm afraid he's a con merchant. He was trying out environmentalism, found out there was a lot more money in working for nuclear power and carbon industries and seems to hire himself out on the back of his Ph D from the 1970's to the likes of Fox News and Trump as a useful turncoat.

He was around in the chaotic beginnings of Environmentalism in Canada and happened to crew on a boat that was subsequently renamed Greenpeace as part of his PhD, seems to be his one claim to fame

I mean come on, you can do better than this

So appart from the character assassination.....?