register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

BacktoDemocracy

Australia and Climate Change

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I tell a lie - I missed a falling conifer by minutes - while walking the dog .

Its very passive now - but more wind and rain on the way .

Hardly hurricane Katrina though 

Yeh, the media make a big deal out of everything these days mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Screenshot_20200214-234326_Weather.jpg

9 feels like 8 is still winter in my book. One of those many winter days where you are just waiting for the pub to open for something to do.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Toots said:

Here in the part of  Tassie where I live we have had no fires or flooding.  It's been a warm, calm summer with showers of rain mostly at night.  Shows how different the weather can be depending on which part of the country you live in whether it's in the UK or Australia.  😎

We had a miserable damp UK Xmas and missed the 44 degree heat, but came back to a frazzled garden and smoke (ACT).  Had the massive hailstorm in the City,  then the bushfires, got 3 inches of rain in a day last weekend.  Sunny and hot this morning so went out and mowed the lawn which has shot up in 6 days, raked and overseeded all the dead patches......just got inside as a big thunderstorm rolls in to water it all.

It's certainly not boring.... 🙂

• Like 3

"Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind." Albert Einstein

•  

1 hour ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

We had a miserable damp UK Xmas and missed the 44 degree heat, but came back to a frazzled garden and smoke (ACT).  Had the massive hailstorm in the City,  then the bushfires, got 3 inches of rain in a day last weekend.  Sunny and hot this morning so went out and mowed the lawn which has shot up in 6 days, raked and overseeded all the dead patches......just got inside as a big thunderstorm rolls in to water it all.

It's certainly not boring.... 🙂

It never has been.  Hard to believe what we’ve had over the last two months, just missing the locusts...

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

9 feels like 8 is still winter in my book. One of those many winter days where you are just waiting for the pub to open for something to do.

👍 -9c maybe , but 9c is very acceptable 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

It already is.

Only if you weren’t affected by any of it

Not in February. That’s warm for this time of year.

Also your book is not one that counts. Before you go on about my book, I don’t have one- I just listen to the evidence and the expert consensus, the science is settled. It’s only lobbyists and politicians ( who don’t care about evidence in Aus, it would seem who want to ‘unsettle’ it.

I know, I know, it’s not fashionable anymore to listen to experts, however people adversely affected do care now, and are sick to the back teeth of those who seek to pour cold water over it. They have more important and pressing things to deal with, and they will. Politicians and lobbyists aren’t going to get in the way, of their lived experience.

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Not in February. That’s warm for this time of year.

Also your book is not one that counts. Before you go on about my book, I don’t have one- I just listen to the evidence and the expert consensus, the science is settled. It’s only lobbyists and politicians ( who don’t care about evidence in Aus, it would seem who want to ‘unsettle’ it.

I know, I know, it’s not fashionable anymore to listen to experts, however people adversely affected do care now, and are sick to the back teeth of those who seek to pour cold water over it. They have more important and pressing things to deal with, and they will. Politicians and lobbyists aren’t going to get in the way, of their lived experience.

That's one day in February.

7 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

................  and not over the whole of the UK by any means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Edinburgh is due to be 10c today - in the middle of winter ?

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

The elephant in the room for Australians in the areas affected during the recent bushfires , is the effect the floods have had on the dams - washing silt and shit into a large area of fresh water .

This makes the water inert and unfilterable .

I have had that 1st hand from a relative who works in the industry 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

12 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Edinburgh is due to be 10c today - in the middle of winter ?

Yes and pouring with rain.  My sister lives right in the middle of Edinburgh but she's here in Tassie with us until next month.

On 13/02/2020 at 21:00, BacktoDemocracy said:

I mean...... do you actually have to explain that.

Totally sceptical about the 99% of scientists who have proof of climate change but believe a political appointee who agrees with a bunch of political nay sayers who appointed him.

Cause and effect?

99% of scientists? Thats what I call a stampede of scientists ( is that a new collective noun perhaps?) all wishing to have their papers published within a rare opportunity whereby a crazy world will actually agree with their findings, What an opportunity for those scientists  that they can actually pay off their mortgages.

I have scientists in my immediate family. Perhaps they are the 1% who do not run with the stampede. Climate change is real but it is certainly nothing new. Climate change has a greater impact simply because there are more of us,  than there were 100 years ago and in that hundred years more reporting of  normal rhythmic climate change has become a source of income, for every person on social media who wants to roll with the flow. Its not caused by humans as I have suggested in previous posts.

99% of scientists, 99% of social media stalwarts who have a desperate need to be appreciated. 99% of people born in the new meillenium, 99% of news sites who are happy to direct us to Kim Kardashian's latest tribulation, prior to directing us to climate change news. 99% of people who simply cannot bring themselves to vote for a  national leader who has the temerity to be blonde headed.

How wonderful to reside in the 1%.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

The elephant in the room for Australians in the areas affected during the recent bushfires , is the effect the floods have had on the dams - washing silt and shit into a large area of fresh water .

Get your head out of your arse - that's from an AUSSIE who works in the Victorian water industry 

• Confused 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

9 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes and pouring with rain.  My sister lives right in the middle of Edinburgh but she's here in Tassie with us until next month.

Pouring with rain - what's wrong with that ? - it's meant to

ITS WINTER 😣

the days of -10c have gone in scotland - in the short term anyway 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

29 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Get your head out of your arse - that's from an AUSSIE who works in the Victorian water industry 

You ok son?

You know you are quoting yourself don't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Wonder what BTD finds funny about your comment, we have a creek 100m away and is slowly getting silted up as developer has not got silt barriers in or they are damaged , next thing it will cause flooding 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Pouring with rain - what's wrong with that ? - it's meant to

ITS WINTER 😣

the days of -10c have gone in scotland - in the short term anyway 

It was only 12C when I was out first thing this morning.  A lovely fresh morning.  I'm looking forward to autumn.  I watched the ferry from Melbourne coming towards Devonport on the Bass Strait.  By the time I had walked up the river the vehicles were moving off it.  I counted 34 motorbikes disembarking.  Tassie is very popular with bikers.  Hope they enjoy the cooler weather here.

Both Jan and Feb have had a fair few unusually warm days for this time of the year. This is weather you usually start to see in March/Mid March.

Next you’ll be saying it’s been one hour of one day or it happened a decade or whatever go - or some other nonsense. Not interested in your book, your not a scientist.

But it’s still warm for this time of year, consisted for where it is.

Let’s put it this way, the daffodils etc. stopped blooming in May and stated doing do in a March a few years ago. Now in some places they’ve already stated to flower. That’s unheard of.

99% of scientists? Thats what I call a stampede of scientists ( is that a new collective noun perhaps?) all wishing to have their papers published within a rare opportunity whereby a crazy world will actually agree with their findings, What an opportunity for those scientists  that they can actually pay off their mortgages.
 I have scientists in my immediate family. Perhaps they are the 1% who do not run with the stampede. Climate change is real but it is certainly nothing new. Climate change has a greater impact simply because there are more of us,  than there were 100 years ago and in that hundred years more reporting of  normal rhythmic climate change has become a source of income, for every person on social media who wants to roll with the flow. Its not caused by humans as I have suggested in previous posts.
99% of scientists, 99% of social media stalwarts who have a desperate need to be appreciated. 99% of people born in the new meillenium, 99% of news sites who are happy to direct us to Kim Kardashian's latest tribulation, prior to directing us to climate change news. 99% of people who simply cannot bring themselves to vote for a  national leader who has the temerity to be blonde headed.

So you aren’t just a retired expert fire chief, you are a climate science expert as well now are you?

What else? Do dazzle us.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, newjez said:

You ok son?

You know you are quoting yourself don't you?

I was thinking the same but had to look twice as I’ve been on the wine all evening 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Actually 99% of morons (1% don’t know what climate is) are supremely confident that the science is wrong.....so, in one sense at least, you are with the majority.

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Antarctic temperature rose above 20C this month for first time on record. 

Scientists describe 20.75C logged at Seymour Island as ‘incredible and abnormal’

• Like 1