register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

BacktoDemocracy

Australia and Climate Change

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

There's massive investment in green energy and we are lucky because we have everything here that will support us and other countries as they try and transition. I heard the chief scientist on TV  last night agreeing with Parley that natural gas is the key in the short term and green hydrogen, which is way off yet, the thing to aim for. 

It's easy to make promises about how long it's going to take to become carbon neutral. Scott Morrison could make an annoncement tomorrow that Aus is going to be carbon neutral in 5 years. Instead he chooses to be realistic and deal with the criticism. The ones making the promises know they won't be in power to see it through, they are just passing the problem to the next leader. BP's new boss has promised that BP will be carbon neutral by 2050 or something. His name is looney mind you.

The investment in renewables is patchy.

I agree that promises are pointless unless supported by ambition and a fully-funded strategy to achieve those promised outcomes.  Morrison isn’t being realistic, he is simply seeking to bridge a divide between climate-change deniers and the rest in his government.  Hold the line as long as possible and breathe a sigh of relief once the fire season is over.

Natural gas is a fossil fuel by the way.  Just because it has the word ‘natural’ in it doesn’t make it environmentally friendly.  It emits roughly half the CO2 as coal but as a transitional solution it is 2-3 decades late.

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

3 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

The investment in renewables is patchy.

I agree that promises are pointless unless supported by ambition and a fully-funded strategy to achieve those promised outcomes.  Morrison isn’t being realistic, he is simply seeking to bridge a divide between climate-change deniers and the rest in his government.  Hold the line as long as possible and breathe a sigh of relief once the fire season is over.

Natural gas is a fossil fuel by the way.  Just because it has the word ‘natural’ in it doesn’t make it environmentally friendly.  It emits roughly half the CO2 as coal but as a transitional solution it is 2-3 decades late.

Tell that to the chief scintist. He thinks gas is the way to go for now.

20 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Plenty of grants available for solar in NSW 

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

His position means that he has to be tactful and play the political game, I am sure.  Investing in gas is only valid if you are kicking the can down the road for a couple more decades and he doubtless knows that if he wants to remain as ‘Chief Scientist’ he has to become a professional can-kicker.

It makes no actual sense investing in 20th Century solutions to 21st Century problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

8 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

His position means that he has to be tactful and play the political game, I am sure.  Investing in gas is only valid if you are kicking the can down the road for a couple more decades and he doubtless knows that if he wants to remain as ‘Chief Scientist’ he has to become a professional can-kicker.

It makes no actual sense investing in 20th Century solutions to 21st Century problems.

I mean...... do you actually have to explain that.

Totally sceptical about the 99% of scientists who have proof of climate change but believe a political appointee who agrees with a bunch of political nay sayers who appointed him.

Cause and effect?

21 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

That was funny.

Not very subtle.

But I think we have gone beyond subtle.

Sadly, with the unscheduled fuel reduction exercise you have just gone through, you probably won't have any more fires like that for a couple of years.

And then the deniers will say it was a one off.

Rinse and repeat.

That's why I've lost all hope. It's got to get bad enough so it's too late before anyone will try and do anything serious.

And then it's too late.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

That was funny.

Not very subtle.

Sadly, with the unscheduled fuel reduction exercise you have just gone through, you probably won't have any more fires like that for a couple of years.

Rinse and repeat.

That's why I've lost all hope. It's got to get bad enough so it's too late before anyone will try and do anything serious.

And then it's too late.

Sadly there is still a few million sq miles to burn next year or the year after that.

And isn't it the case that these fires were hotter than usual and across plantations so regeneration of the burnt areas going to be much longer term than previous so if fires continue year on year then the damage is going to be catastrophic.

• Like 1

Just looking at the high winds and flooding in sydney and some blokes submerged car in queensland 

From one extreme to another 

What happens going forward ?

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

11 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Just looking at the high winds and flooding in sydney and some blokes submerged car in queensland 

Yes, we have already had 20% more rain in 2020 than we got in 2019.  February has already passed the wettest on record (from 2010) and not halfway through with plenty more to come apparently.

For me personally the fire risk was much more of an issue than the flooding as we live on high ground but with a lot of bushland all around.

As you say, one extreme to another.  So many random extreme events.  Makes you wonder!

1 minute ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Yes, we have already had 20% more rain in 2020 than we got in 2019.  February has already passed the wettest on record (from 2010) and not halfway through with plenty more to come apparently.

For me personally the fire risk was much more of an issue than the flooding as we live on high ground but with a lot of bushland all around.

As you say, one extreme to another.  So many random extreme events.  Makes you wonder!

Ya don't think it could be climate change do you skip?

No?

Ah - it's just Timmy lighting fires.

Thanks Skippy. Nothing to see here then.

12 hours ago, newjez said:

That was funny.

Not very subtle.

Rinse and repeat.

And then it's too late.

There's still plenty of forest left Newjez. People in the Uk might be surprised but the it's not all gone like some might think. You've lived here and should know how fast it can regenerate too. There were massive fires arond Sydney about 5 years ago, go back now and you wouldn't know.

10 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Sadly there is still a few million sq miles to burn next year or the year after that.

And isn't it the case that these fires were hotter than usual and across plantations so regeneration of the burnt areas going to be much longer term than previous so if fires continue year on year then the damage is going to be catastrophic.

If, if, if. 

I heard a couple of farmers in Queensland who've been in drought for a couple of years. Obviously over the moon about the rain. The reporter was trying to make a big deal about climate change and they both said this is Australia mate, it's pretty normal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

That's just Aus for you, what's that song, land of drought and flooding rain or something.

How's your dafs going Bunbury?

Funny old weather everywhere it seems.  Here is a recently submerged car in the Thames  -  result of storm Ciara.

thames.jpg

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

That's just Aus for you, what's that song, land of drought and flooding rain or something.

A poem by Dorothea MacKellar. It’s a lovely poem and sums up the diversity of the country and climate. Written in about 1904. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ramot said:

A poem by Dorothea MacKellar. It’s a lovely poem and sums up the diversity of the country and climate. Written in about 1904. 

Called I love a Sunburnt Country, sorry meant to include that!!! Well worth reading

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

My Country by Dorothea Mackella:

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

4 hours ago, Parley said:

My Country by Dorothea Mackella:

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Couldn’t put that any better myself 

9 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

If, if, if. 

I heard a couple of farmers in Queensland who've been in drought for a couple of years. Obviously over the moon about the rain. The reporter was trying to make a big deal about climate change and they both said this is Australia mate, it's pretty normal.

She'll be right mate!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

She'll be right mate!!!!

It already is.

• Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

On 13/02/2020 at 23:24, Paul1Perth said:

How's your dafs going Bunbury?

Fantastic , genuinely 

We have had 2 days of high winds and rain  - no snow - no freezing temps  no flooding here in the west mids .

The winter has been a complete none event so far 

Its 11.30pm now - bedroom  windows open , it's probably 8-10c outside - great , suits me 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

Fantastic , genuinely 

We have had 2 days of high winds and rain  - no snow - no freezing temps  no flooding here in the west mids .

The winter has been a complete none event so far 

Its 11.30pm now - bedroom  windows open , it's probably 8-10c outside - great , suits me 

I tell a lie - I missed a falling conifer by minutes - while walking the dog .

Its very passive now - but more wind and rain on the way .

Hardly hurricane Katrina though 

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

Screenshot_20200214-234326_Weather.jpg

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Screenshot_20200214-234326_Weather.jpg

Different to the part of Scotland I'm from:

Dumfries and Galloway is bracing itself for heavy snow fall tonight.

The Met Office has issued an amber weather warning for snow for large parts of the region until 9pm tonight and that comes on top of yellow warnings for wind, snow and ice that were already in place.

Motorists are being warned to expect delays with the possibility of vehicles being stranded where snowfall is heaviest and there’s a good chance that rural communities could be cut off and areas could experience powercuts.

Here in the part of  Tassie where I live we have had no fires or flooding.  It's been a warm, calm summer with showers of rain mostly at night.  Shows how different the weather can be depending on which part of the country you live in whether it's in the UK or Australia.  😎

• Like 1