You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

BacktoDemocracy

Australia and Climate Change

I posted way back in this thread about how I thought mother nature would fix things up. What a response that got. A few weeks later and the East Coast is getting a soaking, floods galore and places that were in drought now the best rain thay've had for years.

On the other UK and climate change thread people were saying daffodils wre out and they weren't going to get a winter. Next thing you know media calls it a super storm. Can't just have a winter storm these days, has to be a super one. What's with the second world war sirens too?😂

I'm sure we had worse storms and heaps of snow when I lived near the pennines. Never heard a siren once.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul1Perth said:

I posted way back in this thread about how I thought mother nature would fix things up. What a response that got. A few weeks later and the East Coast is getting a soaking, floods galore and places that were in drought now the best rain thay've had for years.

On the other UK and climate change thread people were saying daffodils wre out and they weren't going to get a winter. Next thing you know media calls it a super storm. Can't just have a winter storm these days, has to be a super one. What's with the second world war sirens too?😂

I'm sure we had worse storms and heaps of snow when I lived near the pennines. Never heard a siren once.

You were right. The BOM said there would be no significant rainfall until April.

Shows how much they know.

• Like 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

16 minutes ago, Parley said:

You were right. The BOM said there would be no significant rainfall until April.

Shows how much they know.

Now the BOM's forecasting higher than average rainfall for the East Coast.

No mate, there's thousands of square kilometres where the greenery is, as you put it, that are untouched by fire. Here in WA we were hardly affected. The rainforest in Queensland is older than the Amazon and mostly untouched.
The fires are mostly out now due to really heavy rain and floods. I guess the next headline will be the whole county's under water.

Yes one of the reasons why I want to go to Australia is that I want to get to Queensland and visit and perhaps get property at the World's Oldest Rainforest.

2 minutes ago, renebascossarabi said:
46 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:
No mate, there's thousands of square kilometres where the greenery is, as you put it, that are untouched by fire. Here in WA we were hardly affected. The rainforest in Queensland is older than the Amazon and mostly untouched.
The fires are mostly out now due to really heavy rain and floods. I guess the next headline will be the whole county's under water.

Yes one of the reasons why I want to go to Australia is that I want to get to Queensland and visit and perhaps get property at the World's Oldest Rainforest.

There's always a chance of a fire where there's forest though, that's one of the reasons we wouldn't consider living bush here. Yes, you can get a serious amount of land and a good property but plenty of work comes with that to make it as safe as possible. I would rather have our nice 4x2 2 mins from the beach.

16 minutes ago, renebascossarabi said:
1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

In Tasmania there are also the oldest, cool temperate rainforests in the world.  http://rediscovertasmania.com.au/oldest-rainforest-world/

• Like 1

There's always a chance of a fire where there's forest though, that's one of the reasons we wouldn't consider living bush here. Yes, you can get a serious amount of land and a good property but plenty of work comes with that to make it as safe as possible. I would rather have our nice 4x2 2 mins from the beach.
Lucky you! I may be a millionaire in Philippine Pesos but I think that can only buy simple property in Australia which has a higher exchange rate than ours'

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Don't you think his family and kids and possibly the reason they'd booked it ages ago, was more to do with him taking the holiday than anything to do with religion?

Wouldn't have made the fires go out any quicker if he'd stayed here would it? 

I understand that he switched his holiday to Hawaii because of the fires in Australia.

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Climate change is expected to bring an increased incidence of extreme weather events.  It does not mean that there were never extreme weather events before.

No one weather event can be directly attributed to climate change either.

The important stat is the global average temperature data which is very clearly on an upward trend.  That one is tougher to deny.....but I am sure that won’t stop you trying.

• Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

There are no thought processes, there can't be because fundamentalism demands blind faith as we see time and again.
There is no thinking or understanding of faith in a theological or broader sense of society and when one gets to the point of literal interpretation of religious tracts and visits by spirits then you as an individual have no control over events as you point out.
At that point I think there is a need for Scomo, and others, to explain just how he equates his beliefs with being leader of a secular, westernised country.
His religious beliefs seem to get very rubbery when it comes to staying in power and collecting his salary,
I suppose his view is its all part of the grand order of things and our 'maker' will make it all alright regardless of his actions

You make the mistake of thinking Aus is secular like Europe. It isn’t (sadly).

Don't you think his family and kids and possibly the reason they'd booked it ages ago, was more to do with him taking the holiday than anything to do with religion?
Wouldn't have made the fires go out any quicker if he'd stayed here would it? 

He’s still the leader of the country. A figurehead. I think Australians (rightly) are getting a bit fed up of ‘she’ll be alright’, or ‘near enough is good enough’

It’s nice to see that a good fair few of them expect and demand more. They should not be treated as inconsequential to big lobby interests.

Thousands of square kilometres is a drop in the ocean compared to over 100k sq kms (or as we know it over a million acres destroyed.

Next time you’ll be telling me ‘it’s ok, the rains destroyed the house and most of the 600 sq metres of my home, but it’s ok, the 50 sq metres that made up my patio was saved, so it’s ok, the whole of my property didn’t flood!
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, renebascossarabi said:

Lucky you! I may be a millionaire in Philippine Pesos but I think that can only buy simple property in Australia which has a higher exchange rate than ours'

Ours is a simple property.

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Thousands of square kilometres is a drop in the ocean compared to over 100k sq kms (or as we know it over a million acres destroyed.

Next time you’ll be telling me ‘it’s ok, the rains destroyed the house and most of the 600 sq metres of my home, but it’s ok, the 50 sq metres that made up my patio was saved, so it’s ok, the whole of my property didn’t flood!

No. We didn't have any rain either in WA.

3 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I understand that he switched his holiday to Hawaii because of the fires in Australia.

Where did you hear that? ABC or the Guardian?

Sounds like bulldust to me.

6 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

'She'll be right mate'

Cue manic laughter

'Australia, The Lucky Country'!!!!

4 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

'She'll be right mate'

Cue manic laughter

Have you read The Lucky Country?  The title has become a nickname for Australia and is generally used favourably, although the origin of the phrase was negative in the context of the book.  Horne's intent in writing the book was to portray Australia's climb to power and wealth based almost entirely on luck rather than the strength of its political or economic system, which Horne believed was "second rate".  In addition to political and economic weaknesses he also lamented on the lack of innovation and ambition, as well as a philistinism in the absence of art among the Australian population, viewed by Horne as being complacent and indifferent to intellectual matters. He also commented on matters relating to Australian puritanism, as well as conservatism, particularly in relation to censorship and politics.  The book was first published in 1964.

tlc.jpg

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

Have you read The Lucky Country?  The title has become a nickname for Australia and is generally used favourably, although the origin of the phrase was negative in the context of the book.  Horne's intent in writing the book was to portray Australia's climb to power and wealth based almost entirely on luck rather than the strength of its political or economic system, which Horne believed was "second rate".  In addition to political and economic weaknesses he also lamented on the lack of innovation and ambition, as well as a philistinism in the absence of art among the Australian population, viewed by Horne as being complacent and indifferent to intellectual matters. He also commented on matters relating to Australian puritanism, as well as conservatism, particularly in relation to censorship and politics.  The book was first published in 1964.

tlc.jpg

Yes, I am aware of the critical nature, which was why I referred to it. I felt it was reflective of the views often expressed by some posters on here and also how that "Luck" might be running out.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Excellent, Excellent.

That should become the new national anthem.

I thought our bunch were out to lunch but I just realised there are worse places.

Eddie Obeid is finally in court along with McDonald, 11 years not bad I suppose, pity the poor jury, 6 months, ( I mean it seemed pretty open and shut to me, a week top whack I would have thought) I suppose they'll get off just on the boredom  factor. But hey that's democracy for you.

tlc.jpg.8c5311dbc976172b6e605ca17a5bfae0.jpg

It sounds like it’s be a good read, and in the current political climate a seminal read.

The economy us doing well now, but Australia is not preparing for the day that the world shuts the door to its coal imports (which it will within the next 20 years if not sooner) - it needs to get into a transition plan for a service economy and is primed to be a renewable energy pioneer given its vast resources for that (or someone else takes the mantle off Aus). The innovation is happening, at the grass roots across the country, but alas Horne is right about the politicians.

They lack vision, leadership and backbone. No where else other than here and the US has such apathy to image change politically. In Europe politicians just get on with it, relatively speaking.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

'She'll be right mate'

Cue manic laughter

Cue it dude. We are lucky, we will be allright and we know it.

Cue it dude. We are lucky, we will be allright and we know it.

Luck runs out. It’s better to have more than a wing and a prayer. It takes people only so far. I’m just betting on when. Within 20 years, is my wager - or they may actually have pulled their finger out. That’s a bet I’d be happy to lose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ssiri said:

Luck runs out. It’s better to have more than a wing and a prayer. It takes people only so far. I’m just betting on when. Within 20 years, is my wager - or they may actually have pulled their finger out. That’s a bet I’d be happy to lose.

There's massive investment in green energy and we are lucky because we have everything here that will support us and other countries as they try and transition. I heard the chief scientist on TV  last night agreeing with Parley that natural gas is the key in the short term and green hydrogen, which is way off yet, the thing to aim for. 

It's easy to make promises about how long it's going to take to become carbon neutral. Scott Morrison could make an annoncement tomorrow that Aus is going to be carbon neutral in 5 years. Instead he chooses to be realistic and deal with the criticism. The ones making the promises know they won't be in power to see it through, they are just passing the problem to the next leader. BP's new boss has promised that BP will be carbon neutral by 2050 or something. His name is looney mind you.