..and much much more!

BacktoDemocracy

Australia and Climate Change

3 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Woken this morning at 5 to heavy rain 

this is what we need wooo hooo 😃

Hope the rest of oz gets it

• Thanks 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Posted (edited)

Really need to look after these animals that remain, many were under threat before the fires, the loss is heartbreaking especially the koalas   

Edited by Perthbum

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

From The Guardian 😂😂

Do you think it could be the greenies lighting the fires parley, to try and make it look like global warming is getting worse?

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Parley said:

From The Guardian 😂😂

and there in is the rub: half of us won't believe anything from the Murdoch press, the other half won't believe anything but the Murdoch press.  We are never going to agree.

• Like 2

From The Guardian 

Sky News UK has reported that Scomo has climbed down and admitted this is due to climate change. No doubt he will backtrack at some stage, but there you have it. If you wanted sources, o watch Sky News UK and the press preview from Sunday 5th Jan, 23.00 GMT

Climate change does not start a single fire.

There are many factors at play. Of course drought and dry vegetation is a major issue in Australia over the last several years.

But fires need fuel to burn and something to start them.

Reduce the fuel and you reduce the severity of the fires. Sadly many fires are started by arsonists.

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 minute ago, Parley said:

There are many factors at play. Of course drought and dry vegetation is a major issue in Australia over the last several years.

Reduce the fuel and you reduce the severity of the fires. Sadly many fires are started by arsonists.

Unfortunately some on here don’t understand this and prefer to attempt to score cheap political insults. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parley said:

From The Guardian 😂😂

The Guardian is reporting the words of fire experts - you know, the sods who have been studying fire behaviour and working in the field fighting fires for the last 40 years while you've been schmoozing comfortably around in the 'burbs of Melbourne.

You don't have to believe the words of any journalist of any media - but you should, if you are honestly concerned about the problem and solutions - and not just muckraking -   listen to the words of the fire experts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, this is not a binary issue, despite attempts to make it so. Criminals like arsonists will be thankful for climate change because it means things like this happen more often (prolonged drought, more fuel to ignite etc., only the naive will claim it’s the fault of arsonists only). The fact is that Europe (being progressive), will and has recognised that climate change had a major part in this

Your PM, seeing he is not winning hearts and minds of those affected with his short termism has had to back track, (purely out of self interest, I believe). He will back track again (if he gets the chance of staying his term and even extending it- should he be so lucky). In the short while I’ve lived here, this is what I’ve observed of your politics and the seriousness with which your politicians seek to deal with real issues. Sadly they are all ruthlessly short-termist, and binary in their thinking (it’s either economic prosperity or climate remediation, not innovative thinking f to achieve both) which does Aus no favours, sadly.

At least there has been some rain, but even as your PM has had to admit (which is a good thing, he is seeking to show leadership ) it’s not over by a long shot.

• Like 1

The Guardian is reporting the words of fire experts - you know, the sods who have been studying fire behaviour and working in the field fighting fires for the last 40 years while you've been schmoozing comfortably around in the 'burbs of Melbourne.
You don't have to believe the words of any journalist of any media - but you should, if you are honestly concerned about the problem and solutions - and not just muckraking -   listen to the words of the fire experts.

Taking the experts seriously because people want credible solutions, not muckraking?

That would be like asking for manna from heaven- doesn’t exist, sadly. Not here anyway.

14 minutes ago, Parley said:

No one has EVER said that climate change starts fires.  What it does do in Australia is make the fire season start earlier and finish later....and increase the severity of fires when they occur.

Reduce the fuel and you reduce the severity of the fires.

So, did you at the last election vote for a government which promised lower taxes and smaller government?    Because fuel reduction costs money - personnel to do the burning and admin staff to plan it.  In these shorter weather windows we now have for safe fuel reduction it is going to cost a LOT more money.   So I trust you will be happy for the government to take a lot  more of your money to fund this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skani said:

No one has EVER said that climate change starts fires.  What it does do in Australia is make the fire season start earlier and finish later....and increase the severity of fires when they occur.

So, did you at the last election vote for a government which promised lower taxes and smaller government?    Because fuel reduction costs money - personnel to do the burning and admin staff to plan it.  In these shorter weather windows we now have for safe fuel reduction it is going to cost a LOT more money.   So I trust you will be happy for the government to take a lot  more of your money to fund this.

Of course I am.

It is a hell of a lot cheaper than the hundred of millions or billions that will spent on rebuilding everything destroyed by these fires.

10 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Taking the experts seriously because people want credible solutions, not muckraking?

I do wonder if these people also go to their doctor - the sod who's been studying their speciality for decades - and when presented with the cause of and solution to their medical problem  then respond ...."Yeah...nah...you don't know what you are talking about".  🙄

• Like 1

Of course I am.
It is a hell of a lot cheaper than the hundred of millions or billions that will spent on rebuilding everything destroyed by these fires.

Yes, but sadly it had taken a catastrophe to stop the ostrich like head burying amongst the politicians and perhaps some who now see the value in spending on climate change related preventative action. By and large, it’s just common sense, really. The loss of life both human and let’s be honest animal detestation, perhaps leading to extinction of species - we will only know when the dust settles not to mention the greenery devastation and loss of property and the hit on the economy and Aus existing climate obligations.

Having said that, a proper review needs to be done, and reducing the ‘fuel’ isn’t the only action that needs to be taken but a proper holistic approach and a change in attitude that environmental and climate related thinking is not a zero sum game, when it comes to prosperity.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Parley said:

Of course I am.

Pity Scomo didn't realise that when he refused to meet the 23 emergency services chiefs  last April - and again in September - because they realised how bad the fire season was looking.  They must all be spitting chips.

And you do realise that fuel reduction burning is not the magic bullet - and not as effective as it used to be (as per Greg Mullins in my earlier post).   And that Oz has  thousands of square kms.  of bushland where it can't be carried out because there are no roads or tracks to gain access.

• Like 3

I do wonder if these people also go to their doctor - the sod who's been studying their speciality for decades - and when presented with the cause of and solution to their medical problem  then respond ...."Yeah...nah...you don't know what you are talking about".  

I would imagine that some do. Denial is a powerful self-destructive motivator, sadly.
  • Like 1

Pity Scomo didn't realise that when he refused to meet the 23 emergency services chiefs  last April - and again in September - because they realised how bad the fire season was looking.  They must all be spitting chips.

And you do realise that fuel reduction burning is not the magic bullet - and not as effective as it used to be (as per Greg Mullins in my earlier post).   And that Oz has  thousands of square kms.  of bushland where it can't be carried out because there are no roads or tracks to gain access.

On Sky news UK this morning (Aus time), there was a resident of Batesman Bay being interviewed by Alex Crawford. He was hosing down what was left of a patch of dry grass (having hosed himself down initially, to save himself - don’t think his property made it) with everything around him red in colour, small fires around home and smoke/smog everywhere.

Alex asked him what Scomo should do. He didn’t even bother looking at the camera and opened with - Scomo (and politicians) should leave the country, they were in it for themselves and didn’t care for anything or anyone. Implying that they were not Australian or deserved to live in Australia. He was not mincing his words and I dare-say many who have lost everything aren’t.

57 minutes ago, ssiri said:

He was not mincing his words and I dare-say many who have lost everything aren’t.

Echoing the reaction of the firefighter who was filmed refusing to shake the P.M's  hand.    Scomo...to someone else:  "He's probably just tired".   "No - he's just lost his house".

JUST IN: Alan Jones says the Greens have been ‘unfairly blamed’ for fuel load issue. He says the government has the responsibility to take action and lead. Jones told 2GB’s John Stanley the government has failed “This was preventable.”

Goodness - I must have been transported to a parallel universe.  Cannot believe what I'm reading.  😲

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skani said:

JUST IN: Alan Jones says the Greens have been ‘unfairly blamed’ for fuel load issue. He says the government has the responsibility to take action and lead. Jones told 2GB’s John Stanley the government has failed “This was preventable.”

Goodness - I must have been transported to a parallel universe.  Cannot believe what I'm reading.  😲

He is going a bit senile Once you get over 70 it is understandable isn't it ?

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

Oi! I resemble that remark...😩

Cheers, Bobj.

• Haha 2

Goodness - I must have been transported to a parallel universe.  Cannot believe what I'm reading.  

Well, blow me down with a feather. Or has he just had too much sun? Oh wait, there isn’t much sun right now in NSW - just overcast skies (from the fire/smoke pollution) these days!

In your case would that be touché???? Just asking.