Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

BacktoDemocracy

Australia and Climate Change

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Scott Morrison is doing everything he can.

He is being unfairly criticised by lefties seeking to score cheap political points out of a national tragedy.

Sky News is lefty?   That's a new one.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parley said:

Scott Morrison is doing everything he can.

He is being unfairly criticised by lefties seeking to score cheap political points out of a national tragedy.

 😂  😂    When you are criticised by that arch pinko lefty Piers Morgan you really are in trouble.

Piers Morgan

@piersmorgan
"Wow. A self-promotional commercial with cheesy elevator music? This is one of the most tone-deaf things I’ve ever seen a country’s leader put out during a crisis. Shameless & shameful. "

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parley said:

Scott Morrison is doing everything he can.

He is being unfairly criticised by lefties seeking to score cheap political points out of a national tragedy.

When you are the leader of a country in a crisis you make statements - you don't make party political advertisements (requesting donations).  THAT is scoring 

Quote

cheap political points out of a national tragedy

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2020 at 11:25, Rallyman said:

I am not here to score cheap political points

Yup. No agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bulya said:

See the video of the firefighter stopping his truck to tell a news crew that Morrison can go and get f——Ed!

Did you see the complete version where he gives his name and says....come and see me, pal?   The longer version gives it even more context.  Poor b****r!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

https://fbwat.ch/1YAhjCE8y70NJpVm

A good interview with some valid points imho 

What....another politician saying we need more fuel reduction....after drastically slashing the budget of the fireys who have to do it?   Can't stand to listen to their hypocrisy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Skani said:

H didn't even have the decency to advise the NSW Chief Fire Commissioner - the highly competent bloke who's been dealing with fire emergencies for months in NSW - of his decisions -   let alone ask whether they would be helpful.

He upset the Australia Defence Association which represents all ADF personnel:

Australia Defence Association @austdefFollowFollow @austdef
More

Australia Defence Association Retweeted Liberal Party

1) Party-political advertising milking ADF support to civil agencies fighting bushfires is a clear breach of the (reciprocal) non-partisanship convention applying to both the ADF & Ministers/MPs. 

He used a stock POLISH army uniform image (with Austraiian flag photoshopped in).

Most disgustingly, there was a DONATE button  (implying donate to bushfire survivors) when it was actually a DONATE to the Liberal Party.

That last one, in particular, has made people very angry.

Unbelievable.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Parley said:

Scott Morrison is doing everything he can.

He is being unfairly criticised by lefties seeking to score cheap political points out of a national tragedy.

What “the reds under the bed” have nicked his brain, no need.to be critical of the man it seems, left alone without his spin doctors he seems to do a very adequate job of destroying himself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, simmo said:

From 2013

Quite amazing how fast climate change is changing the world, 7 years is a long time in drying out Australia and preventing burn offs as I believe Skani has been at great pains to explain.

Do try to keep up

Devine has moved her very unpleasant right wing views to the US where she gets paid a lot more for them I guess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skani said:

What....another politician saying we need more fuel reduction....after drastically slashing the budget of the fireys who have to do it?   Can't stand to listen to their hypocrisy.

I Was more interested about the response from the minister which was balanced imho 

so who cut the budgets state or federal as my understanding state are responsible for RFS budgets ? 

I am 6 miles away from the fire burning out at pokolbin state forest , speaking with many older locals they can’t remember when last fire went through there and also any hazard reduction burning.

The fuel loads have built up over many years in the area above it is very difficult terrain almost impossible to get in , what do you expect will happen, ?
 for a fire you need 3 items , ignition, oxygen and fuel load which is there by the ton , take away the fuel load Or reduce it and you stand a far better chance of dealing with it 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Toots said:

There will be a lynch mob after him.  Serve him right.  He can't be right in the head to do a thing like that.

Was just saying same thing if found guilty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newjez said:

Yup. No agenda.

And the actual point of your post or is it as usual just trolling, get a life jez or is it Arthur or Martha today can’t keep up 🤥

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simmo said:

Oh yes.....let's all believe a conservative hack journalist  (recently  moved to the US by Uncle Rupert to deliver pro-Trump propaganda in one of his papers) who has never studied fire management, ecology,  meteorology,  climate science nor.....perish the thought....volunteered as a fire fighter to protect her community.

Personally, I prefer to listen to people who have some expertise in the subject....although this seems a radical concept in deepest, darkest Kent.

Fire and Rescue NSW Station 428 Queanbeyan   - posted only yesterday on Facebook:

"Political parties of any denomination do NOT influence the decisions of organisations like FRNSW, ACT Fire and Rescue, ACT and NSW Rural Fire Services and Parks and Wildlife Services when choosing when and how to do Hazard Reduction burns. It just doesn’t work like that. The main reason Hazard Reduction burns are cancelled or delayed is due to the predicted intensity of the burn exceeding the limits that would make it safe for firefighters, native flora and fauna and obviously you wonderful people."

And from another article today:

"Australia’s bushfire crisis started much earlier than normal in August 2019, with thousands of fires in Queensland and New South Wales.

Despite the evidence a claim persists that a major contributing factor of Australia’s devastating fire season ..... is ....a conspiracy by environmentalists to “lock up” national parks and prevent hazard reduction activities such as prescribed burning and clearing of the forest floor................Prof David Bowman, the director of the fire centre research hub at the University of Tasmania, said: “It’s ridiculous. To frame this as an issue of hazard reduction in national parks is just lazy political rhetoric.

How much hazard reduction has happened?

In the last full fire season of 2018 and 2019, the National Parks and Wildlife Service in NSW .... carried out hazard reduction activities across more than 139,000 hectares, slightly above its target.

There are two major restricting factors for carrying out prescribed burning. One is the availability of funds and personnel, and the second is the availability of weather windows.

The 2018-19 annual report of the NSW Rural Fire Service says: “The ability of the NSW RFS and partner agencies to complete hazard reduction activities is highly weather dependent, with limited windows of opportunity. Prolonged drought conditions in 2018-19 adversely affected the ability of agencies to complete hazard reduction works.”

The RFS said 113,130 properties had been subject to hazard reduction activities, which was 76% of its target. The 199,248ha covered was 106% of its target.

Is climate change affecting hazard reduction?

A former NSW fire and rescue commissioner, Greg Mullins, has written that the hotter and drier conditions, and the higher fire danger ratings, were preventing agencies from carrying out prescribed burning.

But as well as climate change narrowing the window to carry out prescribed burning, Mullins said some fires have become so intense they have burned through areas that had been subject to hazard reduction.

Mullins has been fighting fires in NSW for months. Speaking to the ABC on Friday, he said he witnessed a fire in Grafton in an area that had burned only two weeks previously, but “the burnt leaves were burning again”.

He said: “There has been lots of hazard reductions done over the years – more by national parks than previous years – but the fires have burned through those hazard reduction areas.”

Mullins dismissed suggestions that the bushfires were down to “greenies” preventing hazard reduction activities.“This is the blame game. We’ll blame arsonists, we’ll blame greenies,” he said.

“When will the penny drop with this government?”

What is climate change doing to bushfire weather?

 

The 2019-20 bushfire crisis coincided with Australia’s hottest year on record. ....

Fire authorities are guided on a daily basis on the risk of fires through the Forest Fire Danger Index, a combined measure of temperature, humidity, wind speed and the availability of dry fuel. Spring 2019 had been the worst year on a record going back to 1950 for bushfire risk.

More detail in this article:  https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/05/explainer-how-effective-is-bushfire-hazard-reduction-on-australias-fires

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

so who cut the budgets state or federal as my understanding state are responsible for RFS budgets ? 

I am 6 miles away from the fire burning out at pokolbin state forest , speaking with many older locals they can’t remember when last fire went through there and also any hazard reduction burning.

Yes,  RFS  is funded by the state.   IIRC the NSW state government cut the budget to the fire service by a third in the last financial year (but I can't remember if that  was the entire fire service or the Rural Fire Service only).

I am not sure who is responsible for fuel reduction in NSW state forests.  In Tasmania it is the Forestry Department (or whatever fancy name they give themselves currently).  As per my post above,  NSW National Parks carried out 139,000  hectares of fuel reduction in the last season....but not sure if they are responsible for NSW "state forests" as well.   Or, it may be that they have a planned burn scheduled but haven't been able to do it yet because they haven't the personnel to do it  (along with others) in the narrow safe weather windows NSW has had through this current drought.

I can understand your worry.  I live adjacent to bushland and it is very disconcerting during fire danger periods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh yes.....let's all believe a conservative hack journalist  (recently  moved to the US by Uncle Rupert to deliver pro-Trump propaganda in one of his papers) who has never studied fire management, ecology,  meteorology,  climate science nor.....perish the thought....volunteered as a fire fighter to protect her community.
Personally, I prefer to listen to people who have some expertise in the subject....although this seems a radical concept in deepest, darkest Kent.
Fire and Rescue NSW Station 428 Queanbeyan   - posted only yesterday on Facebook:
"Political parties of any denomination do NOT influence the decisions of organisations like FRNSW, ACT Fire and Rescue, ACT and NSW Rural Fire Services and Parks and Wildlife Services when choosing when and how to do Hazard Reduction burns. It just doesn’t work like that. The main reason Hazard Reduction burns are cancelled or delayed is due to the predicted intensity of the burn exceeding the limits that would make it safe for firefighters, native flora and fauna and obviously you wonderful people."
And from another article today:

"Australia’s bushfire crisis started much earlier than normal in August 2019, with thousands of fires in Queensland and New South Wales.

Despite the evidence a claim persists that a major contributing factor of Australia’s devastating fire season ..... is ....a conspiracy by environmentalists to “lock up” national parks and prevent hazard reduction activities such as prescribed burning and clearing of the forest floor................Prof David Bowman, the director of the fire centre research hub at the University of Tasmania, said: “It’s ridiculous. To frame this as an issue of hazard reduction in national parks is just lazy political rhetoric.

How much hazard reduction has happened?

In the last full fire season of 2018 and 2019, the National Parks and Wildlife Service in NSW .... carried out hazard reduction activities across more than 139,000 hectares, slightly above its target.

There are two major restricting factors for carrying out prescribed burning. One is the availability of funds and personnel, and the second is the availability of weather windows.

The 2018-19 annual report of the NSW Rural Fire Service says: “The ability of the NSW RFS and partner agencies to complete hazard reduction activities is highly weather dependent, with limited windows of opportunity. Prolonged drought conditions in 2018-19 adversely affected the ability of agencies to complete hazard reduction works.”

The RFS said 113,130 properties had been subject to hazard reduction activities, which was 76% of its target. The 199,248ha covered was 106% of its target.

Is climate change affecting hazard reduction?

A former NSW fire and rescue commissioner, Greg Mullins, has written that the hotter and drier conditions, and the higher fire danger ratings, were preventing agencies from carrying out prescribed burning.

But as well as climate change narrowing the window to carry out prescribed burning, Mullins said some fires have become so intense they have burned through areas that had been subject to hazard reduction.

Mullins has been fighting fires in NSW for months. Speaking to the ABC on Friday, he said he witnessed a fire in Grafton in an area that had burned only two weeks previously, but “the burnt leaves were burning again”.

He said: “There has been lots of hazard reductions done over the years – more by national parks than previous years – but the fires have burned through those hazard reduction areas.”

Mullins dismissed suggestions that the bushfires were down to “greenies” preventing hazard reduction activities.“This is the blame game. We’ll blame arsonists, we’ll blame greenies,” he said.

“When will the penny drop with this government?”

What is climate change doing to bushfire weather?

 

The 2019-20 bushfire crisis coincided with Australia’s hottest year on record. ....

Fire authorities are guided on a daily basis on the risk of fires through the Forest Fire Danger Index, a combined measure of temperature, humidity, wind speed and the availability of dry fuel. Spring 2019 had been the worst year on a record going back to 1950 for bushfire risk.

More detail in this article:  https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/05/explainer-how-effective-is-bushfire-hazard-reduction-on-australias-fires

 

 



What do those whose job it is to coordinate and deal with hazard management and reduction know, eh? Those pesky experts doing their jobs and advising that when they can’t, its down to funding or extreme climate events - not environmentalists.

But I’m sure gobshites such as those on Sky (Aus), 2GB and the Murdoch press will do their utmost to deflect and a portion blame.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Skani said:

Yes,  RFS  is funded by the state.   IIRC the NSW state government cut the budget to the fire service by a third in the last financial year (but I can't remember if that  was the entire fire service or the Rural Fire Service only).

I am not sure who is responsible for fuel reduction in NSW state forests.  In Tasmania it is the Forestry Department (or whatever fancy name they give themselves currently).  As per my post above,  NSW National Parks carried out 139,000  hectares of fuel reduction in the last season....but not sure if they are responsible for NSW "state forests" as well.   Or, it may be that they have a planned burn scheduled but haven't been able to do it yet because they haven't the personnel to do it  (along with others) in the narrow safe weather windows NSW has had through this current drought.

I can understand your worry.  I live adjacent to bushland and it is very disconcerting during fire danger periods.

Cant  say I like the current premier of NSW 

to be spending nearly a billion on a sports stadium Is plain stupid in my book and also the blow out on the light rail was a joke maybe the cuts to RFS have gone into that build budget ? 
 

This is latest from our area

 

 

Edited by Rallyman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ssiri said:

 

 


What do those whose job it is to coordinate and deal with hazard management and reduction know, eh? Those pesky experts doing their jobs and advising that when they can’t, its down to funding or extreme climate events - not environmentalists.

But I’m sure gobshites such as those on Sky (Aus), 2GB and the Murdoch press will do their utmost to deflect and a portion blame.

 

 

Another use of classy words from your vocabulary.😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

And the actual point of your post or is it as usual just trolling, get a life jez or is it Arthur or Martha today can’t keep up 🤥

And the point of all your vitriol is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

And the point of all your vitriol is?

Same as yours comrade 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woken this morning at 5 to heavy rain 

this is what we need wooo hooo 😃

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×