Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

BacktoDemocracy

Australia and Climate Change

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, newjez said:

Can you provide a short summary of all the concessions affecting bush fires that the greens pushed through to turn us into a tinder box? With links please.

I am not here to score cheap political points , I have not commented on any green policies of national party My concerns are for people who have lost family, homes and businesses and all emergency services doing an amazing job.  after these events will be the time to carry out investigations on why , what and learn from them . go and troll somebody else , 

go and do your own re search if you are so desperate for that information, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Skani said:

A few loud voices CAN'T change policies.    To get legislation through you have to have a majority in agreement.  You might think you have the best policy in the world:  you still have to convince at least 50%  of all the other pollies in the house that it is worth voting for.

https://volunteerfirefighters.org.au/green-tape-prevents-volunteer-rural-firefighters-reducing-bushfire-risk

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You learn something new all the time on PIO.

Turns out the Greens have been in power all along both at national, state and local level for many years and Morrison and his predecessors have no alternative but to rubber-stamp their policies.  🤔

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You learn something new all the time on PIO.

Turns out the Greens have been in power all along both at national, state and local level for many years and Morrison and his predecessors have no alternative but to rubber-stamp their policies.  

 

 

It’s breathtakingly amazing isn’t it? Who’d have thought - Liberals are the puppet Government, with the greens being the puppet masters - breaking news on PIO, 2GB, Sky News, and so on, and so forth......

 

Blow me down with a feather!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bulya said:

Unlike pseudo poms in Blighty 

What do you mean bluya?

We are all the same aren't we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, simmo said:

What do you mean bluya?

We are all the same aren't we?

He hates poms with a vengeance mate, funny he is one himself ain’t it 

  • Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

He hates poms with a vengeance mate, funny he is one himself ain’t it 

Does that exempt Africans then,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

You learn something new all the time on PIO.

Turns out the Greens have been in power all along both at national, state and local level for many years and Morrison and his predecessors have no alternative but to rubber-stamp their policies.  🤔

What are your thoughts on the link parley posted , are you totally dismissive of it ,

How long have you been Living  in Australia? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even schoolkids understand why Australia and the world is getting hotter.

The greenhouse effect is thrown out of balance by too much man-made carbon dioxide.


Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

What are your thoughts on the link parley posted , are you totally dismissive of it ,

It’s interesting there are two organisations that claim to speak for the rural firefighters of NSW.  There is the one Parly shared, which posts lots of “anti-greenie” stuff.  The other mob RFSA (http://www.rfsa.org.au/) claims to be recognised as the representative association for Firies under the NSW Rural Fires Act 1997 — they seem much more authoratative and don’t seem to publish anything blaming anyone, which to this reader makes them appear to be more fair and balanced.    

Edited by Peach
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Peach said:

Is it confirmation bias, when you keep looking for evidence that supports your what you already believe?  I’m guilty of this too.

I have an open mind to it all , I believe mankind has influenced climate and also earth is going through natural cycles, how much of each I am not sure ,

you can produce reports to suite either side of discussion, so probably in laws of average the real truth is somewhere in the middle? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I have an open mind to it all , I believe mankind has influenced climate and also earth is going through natural cycles, how much of each I am not sure ,

you can produce reports to suite either side of discussion, so probably in laws of average the real truth is somewhere in the middle? 

You are right... I don’t think “aargh it’s climate change” is the answer, but neither do I think that more of the same is a solution.  I stole this quote from a tweet:

Things that Conservatives think are worth trying to reduce emissions:


A) Nuclear
B) Fracking
C) Turning coal into hydrogen

Things that are just too risky:
A) renewable energy
B) batteries
C) energy efficiency standards for cars

Other than “money talks” I don’t understand why our government is so against clean energy..

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

What are your thoughts on the link parley posted , are you totally dismissive of it ,

How long have you been Living  in Australia? 

Do you consider that the link is proof positive that the Greens are the dominant force in the government in Australia?  I have only been here a few years and had no inkling that all our legislature was controlled by the Greens.......until now.

What are your thoughts on other aspects of the Greens?  What would you consider their track record on managing the economy?  Would you vote for them again or do you think it is about time we had a change at the top, perhaps give the Liberals/Nationals a go of it next time around. 🤣

  • Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

I have an open mind to it all , I believe mankind has influenced climate and also earth is going through natural cycles, how much of each I am not sure ,

you can produce reports to suite either side of discussion, so probably in laws of average the real truth is somewhere in the middle? 

You always claim to be impartial, and then you try and make fun of me for being impartial.

I'm not sure you understand what impartial means.

Just saying mate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, newjez said:

You always claim to be impartial, and then you try and make fun of me for being impartial.

I'm not sure you understand what impartial means.

Just saying mate.

My views on climate change have never altered, I can remember entering the work force some 40 odd years ago and thinking my god we don’t half produce a lot of waste when I felt it could be recycled this  needs to change and it has. as technology advances we will be able to do a lot more to combat it along with all other major infrastructure critical to modern day life. 

I honestly don’t think joe blogs cares where electricity comes from as long as it is reliable and reasonably cheap , in 10 years we will be far more advanced in renewable sources , 

just look how battery powered tools have advanced. 

You change your mind like the weather criticising other posters for exactly the same things you have been guilty of doing yourself. 

you raise some valid points at times but also post  BS  ,But if that’s how you roll so be it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Do you consider that the link is proof positive that the Greens are the dominant force in the government in Australia?  I have only been here a few years and had no inkling that all our legislature was controlled by the Greens.......until now.

What are your thoughts on other aspects of the Greens?  What would you consider their track record on managing the economy?  Would you vote for them again or do you think it is about time we had a change at the top, perhaps give the Liberals/Nationals a go of it next time around. 🤣

Maybe answer questions I put too you 

I haven’t read the green manifesto completely to make a valid comments on it . Have never criticised them on here so not sure where you are going with it 

 

only been here a few years , for somebody who posts with such prominent Political views has no understanding on What’s gone on in last 10 years , I find that hard to believe sorry. 
As said you can produce reports to suite both sides of the discussion, something you fail to acknowledge. 
 

I honestly don’t think anybody who has contributed to this thread has said it’s not happening the discussion is about by how much , and what causes , which you can always offer 2 sides to it. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

My views on climate change have never altered, I can remember entering the work force some 40 odd years ago and thinking my god we don’t half produce a lot of waste when I felt it could be recycled this  needs to change and it has. as technology advances we will be able to do a lot more to combat it along with all other major infrastructure critical to modern day life. 

I honestly don’t think joe blogs cares where electricity comes from as long as it is reliable and reasonably cheap , in 10 years we will be far more advanced in renewable sources , 

just look how battery powered tools have advanced. 

You change your mind like the weather criticising other posters for exactly the same things you have been guilty of doing yourself. 

you raise some valid points at times but also post  BS  ,But if that’s how you roll so be it 

Just in case you were wondering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, newjez said:

My point being proven posting to get a reaction and BS all in one , go and troll somebody else mate , get a life , I pity you I really do. 
 

Are you Arthur or Martha today , I will check which way the wind is blowing 😉just so you understand:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Peach said:

  The other mob RFSA (http://www.rfsa.org.au/) claims to be recognised as the representative association for Firies under the NSW Rural Fires Act 1997 — they seem much more authoratative and don’t seem to publish anything blaming anyone, which to this reader makes them appear to be more fair and balanced.    

And this is Greg Mullins, ex NSW Fire and Rescue Commissioner, writing on 11 November last:

"Warmer, drier conditions with higher fire danger are preventing agencies from conducting as much hazard reduction burning – it is often either too wet, or too dry and windy to burn safely. Blaming "greenies" for stopping these important measures is a familiar, populist, but basically untrue claim."

Unprecedented dryness; reductions in long-term rainfall; low humidity; high temperatures; wind velocities; fire danger indices; fire spread and ferocity; instances of pyro-convective fires (fire storms – making their own weather); early starts and late finishes to bushfire seasons. An established long-term trend driven by a warming, drying climate. The numbers don’t lie, and the science is clear.

If anyone tells you, "This is part of a normal cycle" or "We’ve had fires like this before", smile politely and walk away, because they don’t know what they’re talking about.

He gives further facts about why this is unprecedented - if anyone is interested in facts: 

 https://www.smh.com.au/national/this-is-not-normal-what-s-different-about-the-nsw-mega-fires-20191110-p5395e.html

Edited by Skani
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But as firefighters try and beat back the bushfires, a familiar blame game began with critics pointing fingers at “greenies”, claiming they get in the way of hazard reduction efforts that might have reduced the size and scale of the disaster.

“These are very tired and very old conspiracy theories that get a run after most major fires,” says Prof Ross Bradstock, the director of the centre for environmental risk management of bushfires at the University of Wollongong, who has been researching bushfires for 40 years.

“They’ve been extensively dealt with in many inquiries.”

“It’s simply conspiracy stuff. It’s an obvious attempt to deflect the conversation away from climate change.”

More facts on what is really happening with fuel reduction here:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/12/is-there-really-a-green-conspiracy-to-stop-bushfire-hazard-reduction

 
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Maybe answer questions I put too you 

I haven’t read the green manifesto completely to make a valid comments on it . Have never criticised them on here so not sure where you are going with it 

 

only been here a few years , for somebody who posts with such prominent Political views has no understanding on What’s gone on in last 10 years , I find that hard to believe sorry. 
As said you can produce reports to suite both sides of the discussion, something you fail to acknowledge. 
 

I honestly don’t think anybody who has contributed to this thread has said it’s not happening the discussion is about by how much , and what causes , which you can always offer 2 sides to it. 
 

 

I always answer your questions.  I cannot help that you are unable to comprehend my answers.

I never expect to get answers from you to my questions as I know that you do not understand them.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

I always answer your questions.  I cannot help that you are unable to comprehend my answers.

I never expect to get answers from you to my questions as I know that you do not understand them.

Ok if you say so 

I can’t help it if you are unwilling to accept my response, I think I answered them honestly and straight forward , 

your reply was to ask more questions with out answering anything , good political trait 

you are simply unwilling to accept a different view to your own 

Edited by Rallyman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rallyman said:

My point being proven posting to get a reaction and BS all in one , go and troll somebody else mate , get a life , I pity you I really do. 
 

Are you Arthur or Martha today , I will check which way the wind is blowing 😉just so you understand:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

I provided a definition of impartial. Which bits didn't you get?

Why is it that you don't understand how someone can see both sides of an argument?

When you claim to be impartial, what exactly are you claiming, as I'm yet to see you demonstrate it?

Can you not understand that I have environmental concerns, but also support the reduction of fuel?

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×