Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

BacktoDemocracy

Australia and Climate Change

Recommended Posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Looking forward to how she is going to get to NY 

How do you suggest she gets there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sandgroper said:

How do you suggest she gets there?

Sailing boat?

  • Congratulations 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sandgroper said:

How do you suggest she gets there?

I don’t know , hence my question as she is dead set against anything that contributes to climate change, would be interesting to see the carbon foot print for building the super yacht ,

My question why has she been chosen to speak out , plenty on forums like this one along with many others her age who are very vocal and are as articulate in saying same thing , she has come from a very privileged up bringing . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I don’t know , hence my question as she is dead set against anything that contributes to climate change, would be interesting to see the carbon foot print for building the super yacht ,

My question why has she been chosen to speak out , plenty on forums like this one along with many others her age who are very vocal and are as articulate in saying same thing , she has come from a very privileged up bringing . 

It's OK the carbon fibre (you know that extremely environmentally friendly material) has a back up diesel engine .

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

This was the week when the global environmental movement reached peak hypocrisy, peak lunacy, peak absurdity.

Consider the evidence:

Dozens of Hollywood A-listers, pop stars and royalty including Leonardo Di Caprio, Katy Perry and Prince Harry raise awareness of global warming by flying to Sicily in 114 private jets to attend a Google Camp on the theme of climate change. Did they think – what? – that we wouldn’t notice the irony here?

Prince Harry confides that he is only going to have two children by his current wife – ex-Suits actress and Vogue editor Meghan Markle – because any more would apparently be bad for the planet. (This is the same Meghan Markle – aka the Duchess of Sussex – who flew home by private jet earlier this year after travelling to New York for a baby shower)

Three eco-warriors plucked from Extinction Rebellion’s street protests to model for Stella McCartney’s new fashion campaign are revealed by the Mail on Sunday to have racked up 135,000 air miles between them in recent years on their vital mission to save the planet.

Pig-tailed activist Greta Thunberg announces she is to cross the Atlantic in the most eco-friendly way possible: on a yacht built of environmentally toxic carbon-fibre at the height of the hurricane season.

Environmental activists from a group called Reclaim the Power chain themselves to what they imagine to be the London headquarters of power station Drax… only to discover, belatedly, that the building in fact now belongs to one of Europe’s leading renewable energy companies.

Truly environmental stupidity is the gift that goes on giving…

Meanwhile, in the real world, the climate stubbornly refuses to do what the greenies would like it to do – so they have to fabricate the evidence instead.

In Germany, what was reported as an all time record temperature high during last week’s heat wave, turned out to come from a weather station so badly sited that one expert estimated that the Urban Heat Island effect could be exaggerating its temperature recordings by as much as 3 degrees centigrade.

In Cambridge in the UK, similarly record-breaking highs trumpeted by the BBC, turned out to come from a similarly encroached urban site “too compromised to do anything more than supply approximate figures, rather than scientifically valid ones to tenths of a degree.”

A study by Nicola Scafetta estimates that as much as half of the 0.8 degrees C warming in China since the 1940s could be the result of urbanisation rather than ‘climate change.’

Reports – promoted by the World Meteorological Organisation – that the Greenland ice sheet faces ‘enhanced melting’ due to unusually hot temperatures turn out to be fake news. In fact, the ice sheet’s summer melt is at normal levels, while temperatures over Greenland have been below average.

What does this tell us about the state of the global environmental movement?

One thing it tells us is that if the young Tom Wolfe had been around today he wouldn’t be writing books about rich celebrities hosting fundraisers in their ritzy New York apartments for the Black Panthers but about rich celebrities hosting fundraisers for eco-fascist groups like Extinction Rebellion.

Wolfe called the phenomenon ‘Radical chic’ – and the problem is just as pressing as it was when he named it in the 1970s: idiots with too much money and fame and too little sense prostrating themselves cravenly before the fashionable cause of the day regardless of whether that cause has any real merit.

Their decadence I can excuse. If I had that kind of money, I too would be flying off to Sicily at a moment’s notice to party with my Hollywood chums and my royal homies. (Well, at least I would have done in the days when Prince Harry was fun. I’m not sure we’re going to see that happening again until the day, if and when, he gets divorced…)

What is wholly unforgivable, though, is the hypocrisy.

Most of us, when we watched The Hunger Games and saw the debauched, freakish, selfish, spoilt, arrogant, out-of-touch grotesques who lived in the big city of Panem, realised that it was supposed to be a warning.

But Di Caprio, Katy Perry, George Clooney, Harry Styles, Chris Martin and the various other celebrities promoting this green appear to have mistaken it for an instruction manual.

🔗

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2019 at 17:11, BacktoDemocracy said:

It is saddening that the climate crisis has become a left/right issue.

It comes to something when so many are willing to advocate continuing to trash the planet for their own descendants simply to oppose people with a different political ideology.

The reality is that there are right-wing market-based solutions and left-wing socialism-based solutions.  Wouldn’t it be better if the two sides could just be arguing about the best solutions rather than one side just deny science and disappear down conspiracy wormholes in the hope of delaying change long enough to make life untenable for most species?

The genuinely ignorant are excusable to some extent but wilful ignorance from people who know better and are playing on that ignorance  is just unforgivable.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

 , she has come from a very privileged up bringing . 

Is that really relevant, she is 16 going to a normal school, her parents are an actor and an opera singer, not big paying occupations.

Is that supposed to destroy her critique,

She has mobilised young people across the world, are we supposed to take the twisted sentiments of Bolt seriously.

I'm afraid she has achieved far more in 2 years than most of the other activists, I'm sure some sailing enthusiast will volunteer to take her across.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

It is saddening that the climate crisis has become a left/right issue.

It comes to something when so many are willing to advocate continuing to trash the planet for their own descendants simply to oppose people with a different political ideology.

The reality is that there are right-wing market-based solutions and left-wing socialism-based solutions.  Wouldn’t it be better if the two sides could just be arguing about the best solutions rather than one side just deny science and disappear down conspiracy wormholes in the hope of delaying change long enough to make life untenable for most species?

The genuinely ignorant are excusable to some extent but wilful ignorance from people who know better and are playing on that ignorance  is just unforgivable.

I agree, but when you have govts using that ignorance to get elected and then by their silence encouraging the spread of the message from the climate deniers, then Thunberg is doing what no one else has been doing, embarrassing those who should be speaking out and aren't. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I agree, but when you have govts using that ignorance to get elected and then by their silence encouraging the spread of the message from the climate deniers, then Thunberg is doing what no one else has been doing, embarrassing those who should be speaking out and aren't. 

Surely the issue is the parties who run on a platform of climate alarmism and can't convince the electorate to vote for them.

Don't blame the winners.


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Parley said:

Surely the issue is the parties who run on a platform of climate alarmism and can't convince the electorate to vote for them.

Don't blame the winners.

All parties should be running on that platform though.  The only difference should be the proposed solutions, not denial of reality.

I do understand that the majority of people are not scientifically literate and I wouldn’t expect them to be but people wanting to be leaders have a duty to understand these things.  I believe that they mainly do but have made a conscious decision to make ‘denial’ or at least delay, a vote-winning issue.

  • Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Parley said:

Surely the issue is the parties who run on a platform of climate alarmism and can't convince the electorate to vote for them.

Don't blame the winners.

Nothing to do with cynical opportunism.

So to paraphrase a leading denier,"climate change is crap"

 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

All parties should be running on that platform though.  The only difference should be the proposed solutions, not denial of reality.

I do understand that the majority of people are not scientifically literate and I wouldn’t expect them to be but people wanting to be leaders have a duty to understand these things.  I believe that they mainly do but have made a conscious decision to make ‘denial’ or at least delay, a vote-winning issue.

But more cynically, in Australia to advocate for policies to limit emissions and achieve real climate change targets would require real thinking about the implications for the economy and what needed to be done, much easier to do nothing and just indulge in denial.

And look at what it would mean for party contributions and days out to the races.

Look what happened when the ABC kept on about climate change they got a chair person imposed on them from the mining businesses 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/03/abc-board-secret-shortlist-of-candidates-ignored-in-favour-of-mining-executive-revealed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Is that really relevant, she is 16 going to a normal school, her parents are an actor and an opera singer, not big paying occupations.

Is that supposed to destroy her critique,

She has mobilised young people across the world, are we supposed to take the twisted sentiments of Bolt seriously.

I'm afraid she has achieved far more in 2 years than most of the other activists, I'm sure some sailing enthusiast will volunteer to take her across.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

 

But why her as I said many others have been as vocal ,just asking some , I feel important questions , will she end up like Al gore the first billionaire from spreading the climate change message , often in his case a load of rubbish 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

It is saddening that the climate crisis has become a left/right issue.

It comes to something when so many are willing to advocate continuing to trash the planet for their own descendants simply to oppose people with a different political ideology.

The reality is that there are right-wing market-based solutions and left-wing socialism-based solutions.  Wouldn’t it be better if the two sides could just be arguing about the best solutions rather than one side just deny science and disappear down conspiracy wormholes in the hope of delaying change long enough to make life untenable for most species?

The genuinely ignorant are excusable to some extent but wilful ignorance from people who know better and are playing on that ignorance  is just unforgivable.

No one, unless they are a hermit can be ignorant of the increases in temperatures and unstable weather patterns, it is just that the deniers consistently reassure them that in the long term it will revert back again.

Why do people who have brains indulge in this stupidity, the only answer must be that they have a vested interest in that denial message or alternatively are simply irresponsible to the point of negligence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

But why her as I said many others have been as vocal ,just asking some , I feel important questions , will she end up like Al gore the first billionaire from spreading the climate change message , often in his case a load of rubbish 

Al Gore was rich before, that was the reason he could go out on a limb with the climate change message.

Why don’t you address the issue rather than constantly indulging in character assassination 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Nothing to do with cynical opportunism.

So to paraphrase a leading denier,"climate change is crap"

 

Answer the question.

Bill Shorten ran on a radical climate alarmist platform and was totally rejected by everyone.

Noone is denying anything and Australia is meeting its Paris commitments

  • Like 2

I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Parley said:

Answer the question.

Bill Shorten ran on a radical climate alarmist platform and was totally rejected by everyone.

Noone is denying anything and Australia is meeting its Paris commitments

To be fair much is being achieved by individual States with ACT and SA leading the way.  Even Qld is making tremendous progress with solar power though they are anxious to keep it under the radar as it is not that popular.

I do not hear any Federal Government initiatives.  The impression is that they are less about denial and more about platitudes while ensuring business as usual.


Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Parley said:

Answer the question.

Bill Shorten ran on a radical climate alarmist platform and was totally rejected by everyone.

Noone is denying anything and Australia is meeting its Paris commitments

Hmmm, doesn't stack up according to a more independent source.

It took me 1 minute to refute your statement, why don't you do a bit of research for your self rather than just accepting what your favourite pollies tell you

https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/australia/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

But more cynically, in Australia to advocate for policies to limit emissions and achieve real climate change targets would require real thinking about the implications for the economy and what needed to be done, much easier to do nothing and just indulge in denial.

And look at what it would mean for party contributions and days out to the races.

Look what happened when the ABC kept on about climate change they got a chair person imposed on them from the mining businesses 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/03/abc-board-secret-shortlist-of-candidates-ignored-in-favour-of-mining-executive-revealed

One thing I find puzzling is the Federal Government failure to support BEVs (battery electric vehicles) which even the US has done.

Cars run on oil which Australia imports.  BEVs run on electricity generated by Australian coal, wind power and solar in the main.  So if BEVs were widespread this would be a huge plus for the Australian economy and the balance of payments.  Not advocating coal btw but we know that Morrison and his team do.

Is it political dogma or is it just good old-fashioned bribery from the rich oil companies who view Australian consumers as an easy mark?

  • Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

One thing I find puzzling is the Federal Government failure to support BEVs (battery electric vehicles) which even the US has done.

Cars run on oil which Australia imports.  BEVs run on electricity generated by Australian coal, wind power and solar in the main.  So if BEVs were widespread this would be a huge plus for the Australian economy and the balance of payments.  Not advocating coal btw but we know that Morrison and his team do.

Is it political dogma or is it just good old-fashioned bribery from the rich oil companies who view Australian consumers as an easy mark?

Why don't you buy a Tesla ?


I want it all, and I want it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

One thing I find puzzling is the Federal Government failure to support BEVs (battery electric vehicles) which even the US has done.

Cars run on oil which Australia imports.  BEVs run on electricity generated by Australian coal, wind power and solar in the main.  So if BEVs were widespread this would be a huge plus for the Australian economy and the balance of payments.  Not advocating coal btw but we know that Morrison and his team do.

Is it political dogma or is it just good old-fashioned bribery from the rich oil companies who view Australian consumers as an easy mark?

Just good old bribery from big oil and coal, who else is going to keep on filling the Libs coffers, 

Greed, status and a gold plated pension overrides any concern for the country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Al Gore was rich before, that was the reason he could go out on a limb with the climate change message.

Why don’t you address the issue rather than constantly indulging in character assassination 

Al gore is nothing short of a con man , if you think other wise there is no hope his predictions fell well short of the mark 

I am addressing the issues answer my question why has she been chosen ? 

Is Emma thompson  flying in to do a talk as well in her private jet again maybe she can give her a lift to NY 

1 minute ago, Parley said:

Why don't you buy a Tesla ?

Too expensive ! Was reading a German report bigger carbon footprint for electric car than diesel car 😳

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Parley said:

Why don't you buy a Tesla ?

I am waiting for the Model 3 to get here later this year.  However they are very expensive with the cheapest at $70k.

This is more than I have however I am considering Uber driving to recoup some of the cost.

The UK offer a £3,500 grant to help people to make the purchase.  The USA has had similar grants for years.  The Federal Government taxes most of them as ‘Luxury Cars’ at an additional 33%.

  • Like 3

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×