Electrician moving to Oz

It is not possible to get a full licence in the UK - it has to be completed in Australia. Each state has different requirements as well and you can find these online. For example, in Western Australia: https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publications/electricians-licence-application-overseas-otsr and other states through the TRA website here: https://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/programs/electrician-general-and-electrician-special-class

I have attached a pdf with general information.

How to obtain a full qualification - Electrical Licensing[72832].pdf

Yes I’m an electrician and moved here about 3 years ago. I’m not sure if you can do a course back in the UK but nonetheless you will still need to log at least 6 months work in Australia before you would be able to apply for a full license. 

Just be aware that you may be able to get help with the funding for the course over here rather than paying more in the UK. I live in SA and a government funded organisation here covered the cost of the whole process 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Check out the Down Under Centre in Ealing. They are very friendly and help a lot of electricians move to Australia. Wes, who runs it,  was an electrician from Oz.
https://www.downundercentre.com/
I used the down under centre and agree they were very good with helping.

One thing though Wes was a plumber in Oz and loves to banter with sparks about which trade is better.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2019 at 13:57, Curly said:

Yes I’m an electrician and moved here about 3 years ago. I’m not sure if you can do a course back in the UK but nonetheless you will still need to log at least 6 months work in Australia before you would be able to apply for a full license. 

Just be aware that you may be able to get help with the funding for the course over here rather than paying more in the UK. I live in SA and a government funded organisation here covered the cost of the whole process 

Hi @Curly

I'm a bit late to this conversation but would love it if you could give some info about how you go about getting help with the funding for the course? I just bought my partner over here on a partner visa, he is an electrical maintenance engineer and about to organise his trade rec application.

We are in Melbourne.

Thanks for any help or advice in advance!

Hi 

If he has just moved over and not got any documents yet there are a few things he will need to do before seeing if any funding is available. 

he will need to get a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) to show what work he has been doing back in the UK and also as proof of qualifications. Once he has this he will need to apply to Vetassess and get on the course to carry out a practical exam which will then give you an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). It’s quite a long process but you will probably need to have all this in place before being able to apply for any funding or being able to get a restricted license. 

I had to have all this in Adelaide to apply for funding and before I could even enroll to get my skills transferred over. He will need to do this to be able to gain a full license. The course is around 3 weeks long and then will need to log the work he has done for at least 6 months. 

it’s quite a long process and I completed most of mine in the UK before coming out so not sure if the rules are any different if you are already here maybe someone else on here may have some more on that. 

I would maybe suggest speaking to a local college to see if they know of any pathways without doing the RPL and OTSR. 

sorry I can’t be much more help on this you may need to try and do some research on what you need to do to get the transfer done. 

Good luck 

• 2 months later...

They don;t accept RPL so much for licensed trades, Everything is taken care of in the skills assessment/ OSTR. https://www.downundercentre.com/electrical-skills-assessment-australia_s11

Then when you arrive, you will have to complete 6 to 12 months of experience depending on which state you choose and complete a short course/ capstone at trade school. You use the OSTR to apply for a restricted electrical licence so you can work as a trade assistant or glorified apprentice.