West Connex &/or Sydney Metro (& soon the new tramline) - has anybody used and reviewed them?!

MARYROSE02

I don't have a car and I've had no reason to hire a Go Get and go out to experience the wonder of West Connex, I remember counting the traffic lights from the old Grace Brothers buildings to Concord where the M4 starts - 40 plus I think. Does it cut out any of those lights or hasn't it reached that far yet?

I keep meaning to get a train to Chatswood to try out the new Sydney Metro line to the Hills District? Castle Hill, Rouse Hill, what is the last station? Begins with a "T" I think. I walked into the City the other night and saw where the new Sydney Metro station will be in Park Street.

The trams have been running every night in test mode near to me, up and down Devonshire Street and still a novelty enough for me to take photos of them.

Tallawong :)

Haven't tried the metro yet, but I have no cause to be heading in that direction for anything in particular. Will probably use it for Macquarie Centre at some point!  A lot of my colleagues are now using it, when before then had to come 'the long way' on the train or do a double shuffle on the buses. Certainly seems to be very popular whenever I am passing through Chatswood station!

• Like 1

I do have one friend who has used West Connex and I think he said it's saved a lot of time but he never drives in the peak "hour" (i.e. 6am to 10pm, 7 days a week??!!) and another friend who lives in Surry Hills commutes to Macquarie Uni by train so he's using the new Metro.

The  new tramline looks pretty good now although they still seem to find reasons to do more digging up. It does seem to run very close to the pavement on Devonshire Street. I loved using the tram on the Gold Coast.

• 3 months later...

I live close to Kellyville Metro,  I must admit it is good but will be better once it goes directly under the Harbour to the city without changing at Chatswoo.  There's been a quite a few teething issues with a few breakdowns but its an awesome service.  The biggest difference was the M2, to get to Macquarie Park in peak used to take me 50 mins now only takes 35.

Westconnex I have down 2 or 3 times, makes a huge difference the M4 starts at Ashfield now so you are cutting out loads of lights, its of little value to me as I rarely use this road.  The North connex will be better value as it will help remove many of the trucks on pennant hill road.

Trams come online next month, hoping to use it over the xmas period.

One of the projects no one has really heard off is the upgrade of the Heavy Trains from Botany out to Moorebank, all shipping containers re going be loaded onto trains and shunted out too Moorebank This will reduce the need for trucks to clog up Mascot/ Botany and east of city, all containers will be distributed out to Moorebank which is close to the orbital motorways and avoid the city all together.

people complain about the traffic but i think its improving bit by bit

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That is interesting about the "Heavy Trains" and I did not know about it either! Yes, the trams are just about ready to go. Even six months ago I can remember stopping to take photos of them when they first started testing up and down Devonshire Street near to where I live. I shall probably have one trip to see what it is like and then that will be it because the nearest tram stop - Surry Hills - is on the corner of Riley and Devonshire Streets, and it's not actually convenient for me. Buses to Anzac Parade stop outside my home on Elizabeth Street and Central is probably more convenient than the stop outside the Dental Hospital. On the other hand, I'd rather be on a tram than a bus.

I used the tram all the time on the Gold Coast and it was super-convenient. I guess it depends on your location and quality of public transport.  I did have a drive through West Connex. I'd forgotten. I hired a "No Birds" car back in July for a week or two, "hybrid" Corolla, very economical in fuel usage. I drove out west one day, turned off past Parramatta and got promptly lost and to use my phone to find my way back to the motorway.

I did use the Metro too. One Sunday a few weeks back when I got the train to Chatswood. Actually, I had to change at North Sydney and changing platforms there was more of a hassle than at Chatswood where you simply cross the platform from train to Metro.

I got out at Tallewong and walked down, I think, Rouse Road to a new housing estate which seemed like an "island" but will probably be better once shops appear. Wasn't there something on the news about a NSW government minister who had bought land near there which just happened to be for development?

On the way back I also got out at Castle Hill for a walk around there. Back in the day a bunch of us used to haunt Castle Hill RSL club on Sunday nights where it had one of the biggest discos in Sydney.