Resident Return Visa

clare27

Just wondering if anyone knows why RRVs take so long to process? I understand that the more complicated an application is regarding substantial ties to Australia when not meeting the residency requirements the longer it will take but what is the actual process? Do lots of people assess the application? Surely they just read and review your evidence and then make a judgement? Are they incredibly understaffed????

They are understaffed, but the department has also acknowledged that there are issues with RRV processing times which they are (apparently) working to address. I don’t think it’s an issue that they aren’t needed - many people who are 100% committed to Australia do not take out citizenship for a variety of reasons and still need to travel. Even for the cases which don’t meet the residence requirement, if the government thought that they would have abolished the eligibility criteria for those who did not meet the requirement. This has been in place for ages, although it was tightened to limit the visa period to the current one year validity back in 2012. 

17 hours ago, paulhand said:

They are understaffed, but the department has also acknowledged that there are issues with RRV processing times which they are (apparently) working to address. I don’t think it’s an issue that they aren’t needed - many people who are 100% committed to Australia do not take out citizenship for a variety of reasons and still need to travel. Even for the cases which don’t meet the residence requirement, if the government thought that they would have abolished the eligibility criteria for those who did not meet the requirement. This has been in place for ages, although it was tightened to limit the visa period to the current one year validity back in 2012. 

Thank you Paul, your explanation is very useful. Fingers crossed that we get our answer soon. We have applied offshore having not met the residency requirement. We have been absent from Australia for 10 years due to several unforeseen family illnesses/bereavements occurring in relatively quick succession. We only have personal ties which in the eyes of the dept could appear weak when compared to other peoples ties but we will just have to wait and see. My youngest son was born over there (we were there for nearly three years - over 2 years as temporary residents before leaving shortly after obtaining our permanent residency) He was born during temporary residency so only has an Australian birth certificate. 

17 hours ago, paulhand said:

19 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

First, ere are lots of them. Second, they're low priority. Third, the dept and the government (to some extent right,y) that they shouldn't be needed as a person has a year to make the move and then can gain citizenship. 

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Fingers crossed we hear soon one way or the other.

11 hours ago, clare27 said:

Thank you Paul, your explanation is very useful. Fingers crossed that we get our answer soon. We have applied offshore having not met the residency requirement. We have been absent from Australia for 10 years due to several unforeseen family illnesses/bereavements occurring in relatively quick succession. We only have personal ties which in the eyes of the dept could appear weak when compared to other peoples ties but we will just have to wait and see. My youngest son was born over there (we were there for nearly three years - over 2 years as temporary residents before leaving shortly after obtaining our permanent residency) He was born during temporary residency so only has an Australian birth certificate. 

I'm not sure that constitutes a tie at all.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1