Paided parental leave with recent pr

MBI

Hi all 

We have recently got Pr via 186 

We have one child currently and are expecting our 2nd in Feb 2020 

Does anyone have any experience of receiving the paided parental leave or if we are entitled 

I can't find a definite answer on centerlink website 

This should explain it: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/parental-leave-pay/eligibility/residence-rules/newly-arrived-residents-waiting-period

Looks like 2 year waiting period for PPL in addition to meeting the other eligibility criteria. What isn’t listed is the CCS which, according to another thread you may be entitled to if you keep on at the department, like another couple have done. 

• 4 months later...
On 30/07/2019 at 21:46, MBI said:

Hi all 

We have recently got Pr via 186 

We have one child currently and are expecting our 2nd in Feb 2020 

Does anyone have any experience of receiving the paided parental leave or if we are entitled 

I can't find a definite answer on centerlink website 

hi,

i am on the same situation like yours. my baby born sept 2019, my Pr just granted on April. i am wondering, do you get paid parental leave? i have submitted my claims. it has been 2 months and i haven’t got respon.

2 minutes ago, yhuan said:

hi,

i am on the same situation like yours. my baby born sept 2019, my Pr just granted on April. i am wondering, do you get paid parental leave? i have submitted my claims. it has been 2 months and i haven’t got respon.

According to the above link, no, there is a 2 year wait period from gaining PR to being eligible to claim certain benefits, one of which is PPL. 
If you have applied, I don’t know how likely it is to be overlooked by the processor of your claim.

• 4 weeks later...

I am facing same situation . I got PR in july and my parental leave will start from march.When I called centrelink regarding 2 years waiting period I got answer that I dont have to wait 2 years.

I am eligible for the parental leave.

Did anyone contacted central link regarding this matter and got same answer or not please update. 

3 minutes ago, gita said:

I am facing same situation . I got PR in july and my parental leave will start from march.When I called centrelink regarding 2 years waiting period I got answer that I dont have to wait 2 years.

I am eligible for the parental leave.

Did anyone contacted central link regarding this matter and got same answer or not please update. 

Despite what someone over the phone has advised, all you can do is apply and hope that the person processing the claim overlooks this legislation. However, it’s pretty clear on the website that if you are applying within 2 years of PR then you are not eligible. 

I wonder why they would give false information.I told them i just got PR in july but still they said I am eligible.May be 2 years waiting period for new immigrants is vague in  itself and we didn't understand the actual meaning or it might be different under what subclass we got the visa.

Anyway as you said we can just try and wait for their response.

3 minutes ago, gita said:

I wonder why they would give false information.I told them i just got PR in july but still they said I am eligible.May be 2 years waiting period for new immigrants is vague in  itself and we didn't understand the actual meaning or it might be different under what subclass we got the visa.

Anyway as you said we can just try and wait for their response.

They’re just people at a call centre, I don’t think they are deliberately giving false information. It’s the same with the immigration helpline who are notorious for incorrect/bad advice. 
Just apply, but be prepared that you may not get what you want.