Super voluntary for low income workers

Melbpom

New Liberal senator Andrew Bragg is proposing that super should be voluntary for low income workers and suggested that by ticking a box on their annual tax returns they can get a refund for contributions made during the year.

Can you imagine the temptation, rather than save and reap compound interest, take the cash now and spend?

IMHO a bad idea.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/make-super-voluntary-for-low-income-earners-new-liberal-senator-says-20190724-p52aer.html

Years ago, a large employer I know ran a subsidised canteen for it's staff. Management thought the canteen too expensive so they gave their staff a choice, canteen or $2000 on your pay. Staff took the cash of course but over time the $2k canteen component got absorbed. After a few years no canteen and no increase in pay. I only mention this because I could imagine that employers would treat the super bonus in the same way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I think the intent is to help young people buy their first home which some see as a higher priority than superannuation when you are in your 20s.

You do know that not all low income earners are in their 20s and not all people in their 20s are low income earners don't you?  If the intention was to allow young people to buy a house then they would be proposing that super would be voluntary for young people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I think the intent is to help young people buy their first home which some see as a higher priority than superannuation when you are in your 20s.

I agree that buying a house is more important than saving for super but the danger is that it's used for a wage top up. Better to have a scheme where people can access super to make a verified home purchase.

Imagine the scenario of couples with unequal incomes. Money is tight because of low wage growth and one person's super is accessible.