You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

simmo

Household income plunging and poverty rising!

Household income plunging and poverty rising: How Australians were BETTER off during the global financial crisis - and experts say immigration is to blame

• Household, Income and Labour Dynamics Australia has released income data
  • It showed median household income had fallen by $542 since 2009 to $80,095
  • This occurred as Australia's population surged from 21.2million to 24million 
  • Grattan Institute think tank has blamed low-skilled migrants for stagnant wages 

Could it be that low skilled immigration is the cause of stagnating wage growth ? or is this just fake news?

• Haha 1

Wages are ridicuously high here, don't believe what the papers say. That is our problem and that is why companies leave and go overseas.

Household income plunging and poverty rising: How Australians were BETTER off during the global financial crisis - and experts say immigration is to blame

• Household, Income and Labour Dynamics Australia has released income data
  • It showed median household income had fallen by $542 since 2009 to $80,095
  • This occurred as Australia's population surged from 21.2million to 24million 
  • Grattan Institute think tank has blamed low-skilled migrants for stagnant wages 
Could it be that low skilled immigration is the cause of stagnating wage growth ? or is this just fake news?

Fake news
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, simmo said:

Well introducing an Australian style Immigration control system in the UK isn't going to cure our problems then is it, if Australia is suffering from too many low skilled workers.

I thought that kind of system stopped all those problems.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, simmo said:

Of course it could be to do with the Liberals policies of 'Austerity, creating a property boom on the back of cheap money and allowing high levels of unnecessary migration in order to create a pool of unemployed workers to  keep wages down, NO, no one could be that cynical, could they? 

And I suppose climate change (that's crap) and little productive 'add value' industry has nothing to do with it, .nor reliance on extractive industries either

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

23 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Well introducing an Australian style Immigration control system in the UK isn't going to cure our problems then is it, if Australia is suffering from too many low skilled workers.

That's a very good point!

What do you think we should do then?

I don't know about wages being too high. I know they haven't gone up for years and years.

I want it all, and I want it now.

3 hours ago, Parley said:

I don't know about wages being too high. I know they haven't gone up for years and years.

Really ? My staff get rises every year at the start of the new tax year and they are bloody good rates too, have done for years.. They are already paid above award and i have 15 yr olds on over $14 pr hour . 

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I am more talking about people on an annual salary.

Some people never get a salary increase. 

I want it all, and I want it now.

I was talking to an NBN technician a couple of months ago. He had worked in the Oz telecommunications industry for 35 years and  his salary is now half of what it was 10 years ago.  He said it was the result of workers being brought in from the Indian subcontinent to work on contract  on very low rates.  Some industries are much worse than others for salary increases;  it is examples like this which are dragging the average down

19 hours ago, simmo said:

Could be a worry then that Boris is impliment the Australian migration system. Maybe free movement was better?

22 minutes ago, Skani said:

I was talking to an NBN technician a couple of months ago. He had worked in the Oz telecommunications industry for 35 years and  his salary is now half of what it was 10 years ago.  He said it was the result of workers being brought in from the Indian subcontinent to work on contract  on very low rates.  Some industries are much worse than others for salary increases;  it is examples like this which are dragging the average down

That's the plan for Britain post brexit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Working on the NBN doesn’t sound like low skilled to me. The availability of qualified immigrant IT workers to do the IT job may well have brought prices down, but that would be normal economies of supply and demand - they aren’t rare skills anymore.

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

Really ? My staff get rises every year at the start of the new tax year and they are bloody good rates too, have done for years.. They are already paid above award and i have 15 yr olds on over $14 pr hour . 

Cal x

All these years and I had no idea that you are an employer.  Just goes to show how things are so easily missed 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skani said:

TV antenna installer at our place yesterday (new aerial) and he’s ex Foxtel, left after his pay was slashed.  Owns his own antenna business now, and works mornings as an NBN contractor

2 hours ago, ssiri said:

Working on the NBN doesn’t sound like low skilled to me. The availability of qualified immigrant IT workers to do the IT job may well have brought prices down, but that would be normal economies of supply and demand - they aren’t rare skills anymore.

I didn't say anything about it being low skilled.  The subject of this thread is stagnant - or declining - household incomes and possible reasons for it.  In this case the NBN workers were brought to Australia under the former 457 visa and contracted to work for rates much lower than permanent salaried employees.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, newjez said:

Could be a worry then that Boris is impliment the Australian migration system. Maybe free movement was better?

how would free movement improve wages?  Australia has  control of its borders so I would expect that if required it could stem the flow of a certain sector of worker when it is required?  Is that not how it works?

Edited by simmo
  • Haha 1

I didn't say anything about it being low skilled.  The subject of this thread is stagnant - or declining - household incomes and possible reasons for it.  In this case the NBN workers were brought to Australia under the former 457 visa and contracted to work for rates much lower than permanent salaried employees.

I did. The article specifically calls out low skilled immigration as a factor. This is immigration, but it if not low skilled.

I can’t comment on your NBN case, validity but your source is likely to breaching confidentiality and reputation clauses in their work contract, if that were the case and they are sharing the information, for distribution on an Internet forum. Especially if they were instrumental in negotiating the immigrant contracts. Sounds like fair work should be involved. Or your source wasn’t involved in the actual contracting, and is making it up.

Either way it’s a sticky wicket.

I know from a few people I've spoken to that wages are stagnant but the cost of living is rising.  Not at all easy for the unemployed either.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Parley said:

Maybe it's time to look for a new job if you're not being appreciated?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

I know from a few people I've spoken to that wages are stagnant but the cost of living is rising.  Not at all easy for the unemployed either.  

which is why its great that Australia has control of its borders so it can restrict the flow of workers in the fields that are struggling bring unemployment down - wages up and force greedy unscrupulous employers to stop exploiting workers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, ssiri said:

I can’t comment on your NBN case, validity but your source is likely to breaching confidentiality and reputation clauses in their work contract, if that were the case and they are sharing the information, for distribution on an Internet forum.

What a bizarre comment. He happened to be in my house on NBN business.  I don't know where you live but here we  talk to tradies like equal human beings.  We were talking about the distance he had travelled from home that morning  (from quite a way out of town) and that's how we got on to the subject of cost of living and salaries and how much his had changed in the last 10 years.

Especially if they were instrumental in negotiating the immigrant contracts. Sounds like fair work should be involved. Or your source wasn’t involved in the actual contracting, and is making it up.

I said he was a technician - hardly in the business of negotiating contracts to undercut yourself.   When you work in one industry for 35 years in this state (Tasmania) where there is  not 6, but  one degree of separation,  you know exactly why your salary has declined so drastically. 

PS:  It wasn't all work - we also talked about cable cars and hiking at Cradle Mountain.  😉

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Amusing that an article posted to bash Australia has backfired so spectacularly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

I said he was a technician - hardly in the business of negotiating contracts to undercut yourself.   When you work in one industry for 35 years in this state (Tasmania) where there is  not 6, but  one degree of separation,  you know exactly why your salary has declined so drastically. 
PS:  It wasn't all work - we also talked about cable cars and hiking at Cradle Mountain.  

So he can speak for himself then, in terms of changes in the market but on what grounds does he claim it’s down to immigration, if he wasn’t the one negotiating cheap deals, so called.

As an IT worker myself, my role was rare and costly 15 years ago. It’s now a standard role with lots of demand (mainly filled by a mix of locals and immigrants, 70:30 split). The salary is still good but no where like it was when my role was like gold dust, and this is with moving up the ladder as well.

So I do t think immigration is the main factor (easy to go to though), demand, value of specific roles change due to various things.

The latest sought after IT role pays double what I earn, at present, but that will steadily come down too, I can tell you many immigrants won’t be doing that one probably similar to mine - a 70:30 split is where it will settle, it’s currently about 75:25