UK overseas voter attestation

Tychen

Hello! I'm new here (to the forum and also to Australia - got here two weeks ago). I'm having some difficulty with registering as a overseas over in the UK, just wondering if anyone here has done it recently and might be able to help me navigate the process!

I used the UK government's online form and supplied the usual details and the form was passed on to the local authority where I was last registered to vote (Islington). Just yesterday I got a letter (by email) from the council claiming that they could not verify my identity, and saying that I needed to send them a completed "attestation form". The attestation form apparently has to be signed by another British citizen living overseas AND who is a registered voter. I don't personally know anyone who fits that bill!

Has anyone done the overseas voter registration recently? Did you have to do an "attestation" or did you convince them of your identity in some other way?

We managed easily a few years back but we were already registered as postal voters in the UK, maybe that was the difference as we had already had to get forms signed for that.  

Problem was our UK electoral office in Bury didn’t post out the voting papers early enough so that we had time to return them before the deadline.  Last time the voting papers didn’t arrive until after the vote!  We didn’t bother renewing it because of this.

2 hours ago, Tychen said:

Ok thanks, that makes me think it won't be worth the effort of hunting down someone to do the attestation...

Hi we applied online on 7 March when we arrived in Australia. We got the acknowledgement email that said it would be passed to Sheffield City Council but haven't heard anything back from them and decided not to follow it up.