Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

Hi, for those who applied for the 143 offshore and are allowed to enter aus while a decision is made, is it possible to get a travel exemption to come in atm? (I'm assuming its a no no bcs of all the aussies stranded, but thought id double check)

Tks!

In the current climate Offshore applicants for 143 are not allowed to enter Australia UNLESS they’ve been granted the visa, as far as I’m aware. 
They could - I assume - be granted a travel exemption but only if it was for compelling or compassionate reasons and are extremely difficult to get and usually time limited. 

4 hours ago, huubang said:

Lodged 20 June 2018.

What kind of email is it? I got an email in Nov 2020 requesting for copies of passport but nothing more

It is a letter sent by email - Queue date assigned.  You lodged your application a month before us, so I would have thought you would have heard by now. 

6 hours ago, MillieB said:

It is a letter sent by email - Queue date assigned.  You lodged your application a month before us, so I would have thought you would have heard by now. 

Wow. That's worrying. I have not received anything like that. What should I do now? How can I ask them given that they never answer any enquiry?

2 hours ago, huubang said:

Wow. That's worrying. I have not received anything like that. What should I do now? How can I ask them given that they never answer any enquiry?

Don’t be worried they have looked at your paperwork by the sounds of it. Realised something is missing so requested it. Now they just need to acknowledge they’ve received it by contacting you to let you know you have a queue date now they have everything they need. They’ve only been issuing queue dates for a few weeks now. It’s a new process. 

On 06/05/2021 at 14:18, Johnson said:

Looks like queueing is moving now

image.thumb.png.e12d9e1f428614c8bd3d440a84322596.png

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and just sent in an application for 143 visa. I've seen a lot of this Processing Dates floating around and am not sure how to read it or where this comes from. Could someone let me know where this is from?

19 minutes ago, kepohC said:

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and just sent in an application for 143 visa. I've seen a lot of this Processing Dates floating around and am not sure how to read it or where this comes from. Could someone let me know where this is from?

Sadly if you have just applied, you’ll be waiting at least 8 years 

3 hours ago, sandiepops28 said:

Don’t be worried they have looked at your paperwork by the sounds of it. Realised something is missing so requested it. Now they just need to acknowledge they’ve received it by contacting you to let you know you have a queue date now they have everything they need. They’ve only been issuing queue dates for a few weeks now. It’s a new process. 

Is there anyway I can get in touch and ask them about the queue date?

3 hours ago, kepohC said:

There are around 56000 people already waiting in the queue! Only 3600 grants are given per year presently so if you do the maths you will be waiting a very long time!! 

4 hours ago, huubang said:

Is there anyway I can get in touch and ask them about the queue date?

No they don’t answer individual emails otherwise they wouldn’t get anything else done. Just hold tight. If that’s all they needed I would guess you would hear something in the next 2-4 weeks. 

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid-19-visa-concessions

Shows this for 870 - assume it means for people who were actually granted  their 870 but couldn’t actually enter Australia? 

Sponsored Parent Temporary (subclass 870) visa

As part of the 2021-22 Federal Budget, the Government announced that it will extend the visa validity period by 18 months for certain Sponsored Parent Temporary (subclass 870) visa (SPTV) holders who are outside Australia. This measure intends to assist SPTV holders who could not travel to spend the full three or five years on their visa in Australia due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. This measure is intended to come into effect in July 2021.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GNesh said:

Hi all,

Just noticed we must apply through paperwork for this visa and apparently there is no online way.

Is there any step-by-step guide for the lodgement process?

Regards,

Are you aware that if you apply now, you will be waiting around 10 years to get the visa?

38 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Are you aware that if you apply now, you will be waiting around 10 years to get the visa?

Yes, I am aware of that.

Is there any chance that this number gets reduced by increasing the cap by immigration?

5 minutes ago, GNesh said:

Yes, I am aware of that.

Is there any chance that this number gets reduced by increasing the cap by immigration?

Highly unlikely - they’ve reduced it over the last few years from 7000 to 3600 per year. . They say  the  cost to Australia of looking after the medical and care costs of elderly people is around 10 times what people actually pay for the visa so they would rather have young skilled migrants than old people who cost a lot! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GNesh said:

Hi all,

Just noticed we must apply through paperwork for this visa and apparently there is no online way.

Is there any step-by-step guide for the lodgement process?

Regards,

No step by step guide, just a case of going through the application form slowly. You may want to use a migrant agent to do this, there’s several good ones on here.  Sadly the wait times are likely to only go one way and it won’t be in your favour. 

3 hours ago, GNesh said:

Is 173 the same in terms of processing time?

Yes it is - all contributory parent visas are in the same queue!! Going for 173 first means it takes longer to get PR and is only valid for 2 years and eventually costs more than going straight for 143. 

Edited - all non contributory parent visas are in another queue. This queue will take up to 30 years and  only 900 grants per year.  

See  below  to see how the contributory queue was by end last September - and it’s got worse since then as more applications have been made by people who aren’t aware of the long waiting times 

78FBBED0-5BDC-4F31-905A-9FD85B33CF0A.jpeg

Edited by LindaH27