Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

1 minute ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Makes sense to me.

But I suspect the challenge the government would that have, is that every other category of entrant would also start making a case for why their situation should be treated differently and it just becomes a nightmare.

The handling of the whole thing is poor.   Rather than lay out a roadmap around which people can plan their lives, it feels like they are sprinkling out ideas to gauge reaction

Yes Australia also needs to be aware that other countries also have border restrictions - so there has to be some middle way. UK has steamed ahead with its vaccination program. Either it works both ways or it doesn’t - if Australia is working on Travel bubbles with other countries - that seems the only fair way to go. 

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I see Scott Morrison has been talking about allowing vaccinated Australians to leave the country and return - without going into quarantine! 

ScoMo is desperately clutching at straws because Australians are so angry about the botched vaccine rollout.   This idea is clearly aimed at making Australians feel better. He hasn't given a thought to anyone else. 

3 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I see Scott Morrison has been talking about allowing vaccinated Australians to leave the country and return - without going into quarantine! 

So he can allow vaccinated Australians to go to other countries but won’t allow vaccinated people from other countries to even enter Australia let alone go into quarantine - double standards??? If it’s safe for returning vaccinated Australians it’s also safe for the rest of the vaccinated world to enter as well. 

He said "quarantine at home" when they return.  So some form of quarantine will be required for everyone.  There are still around 36,000 Australians registered as wishing (but so far unable) to come home:  they will be given priority.

20 minutes ago, Skani said:

He said "quarantine at home" when they return.  So some form of quarantine will be required for everyone.  There are still around 36,000 Australians registered as wishing (but so far unable) to come home:  they will be given priority.

Yes and  those 36000 could be home in a month if he reverted back to pre Covid limits if they’re already been vaccinated (in other countries like UK ) and going back to their own homes to quarantine. That’s what he’s saying about allowing vaccinated Australians to come and go so there shouldn’t be a problem getting them back quickly  - and I do agree they should have priority. ! 

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes and  those 36000 could be home in a month if he reverted back to pre Covid limits if they’re already been vaccinated (in other countries like UK 

I don't think it will happen in a hurry. The difficulty would be ensuring that all those who claim to be vaccinated, are vaccinated.  I'm sure that in some countries, forged certificates won't be hard to come by, so inevitably there will be unvaccinated people who get in, don't quarantine and then we're stuffed.  He knows he would never be forgiven if that happened. He may be thinking that if he lets Australians travel, at least their vaccination status can be verified in Australia before they travel, so it's less risky.  But I suspect he hasn't thought it through at all.  It's just a public relations exercise.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

I don't think it will happen in a hurry. The difficulty would be ensuring that all those who claim to be vaccinated, are vaccinated.  I'm sure that in some countries, forged certificates won't be hard to come by, so inevitably there will be unvaccinated people who get in, don't quarantine and then we're stuffed.  He knows he would never be forgiven if that happened. He may be thinking that if he lets Australians travel, at least their vaccination status can be verified in Australia before they travel, so it's less risky.  But I suspect he hasn't thought it through at all.  It's just a public relations exercise.

It’s possibly more risky - logically why should other countries let Australians in too? IF Australia can verify its own citizens vaccination status,  then so can other countries check on their own citizens status and confirm for Australia that people have been vaccinated. It works both ways! 
The whole world is trying to decide what to do about international travel unfortunately.  

25 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

logically why should other countries let Australians in too?

Well, exactly.  Although as we know, most other countries don't have such strictly closed borders, so there are lots of places Australians could go without needing to go through any formalities.  

As for checking - what I'm saying is there would have to be coordination between Customs and Medicare in Australia, so Customs could verify vaccination status before letting people leave. I suspect there would be privacy reasons why that couldn't be done, so I doubt it would happen.  Like I said, I very much doubt it's been thought through at all. It's an idea thrown out there to please the media and stop them talking about bungled vaccine rollouts.

Edited by Marisawright

27 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Well, exactly.  Although as we know, most other countries don't have such strictly closed borders, so there are lots of places Australians could go without needing to go through any formalities.  

As for checking - what I'm saying is there would have to be coordination between Customs and Medicare in Australia, so Customs could verify vaccination status before letting people leave. I suspect there would be privacy reasons why that couldn't be done, so I doubt it would happen.  Like I said, I very much doubt it's been thought through at all. It's an idea thrown out there to please the media and stop them talking about bungled vaccine rollouts.

Yes I agree but I also think the anger and stress of some Australian citizens who can’t see their families either is also adding to the mix. They can’t leave unless under exceptional circumstances and face huge problems getting back in  and their families can’t come in so I know there’s  lot of anger amongst expats. 

5 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes I agree but I also think the anger and stress of some Australian citizens who can’t see their families either is also adding to the mix. They can’t leave unless under exceptional circumstances and face huge problems getting back in  and their families can’t come in so I know there’s  lot of anger amongst expats. 

True, but expats can't vote

3 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Lots of people with children and families in other countries that I know, including me, accept it. I have no idea when I will see my only grandchildren again, perhaps never at my age. No point getting angry or stressed, of course we worry about them, but it is what it is, and many of us appreciate the fact that we have been very little affected by this dreadful virus, because of the closed border.

• Like 1

Just now, ramot said:

Lots of people with children and families in other countries that I know, including me, accept it. I have no idea when I will see my only grandchildren again, perhaps never at my age. No point getting angry or stressed, of course we worry about them, but it is what it is, and many of us appreciate the fact that we have been very little affected by this dreadful virus, because of the closed border.

I think your attitude is quite widely held.  I'm noticing, both on Facebook and in interviews on TV, that many Australians are wanting to let fewer people into the country rather than more. They appreciate the feeling of safety offered by the closed borders and think the sacrifice of not seeing relatives is worth it.  

13 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Sorry I’m a bit confused, I read this as Australians leaving Australia, for family reasons but then you mentioned expats? So I answered as Australian not being able to leave Australia easily. 

1 minute ago, ramot said:

Yes the closed border certainly helped but the bungled vaccination is considered a pretty poor showing when they can see the vaccination speeds in other countries. Yes UK made some shocking mistakes early on and should have closed the borders much much earlier but they are getting the vaccination right ! Australia will never be free of the virus unless they permanently close their borders which will devastate the economy. The virus will always be present in the world, we just need to learn to manage it. 

I did mention expats - by which I meant those people from every country who have migrated and made Australia their home but have families left behind  (ie not natural born Australians,) which is probably  the majority of people who post on here from Australia 

Im also reading/hearing  posts on social media where people are railing against the fact that they can’t leave or get into Australia. There will always be two sides to every story - and the chance for a good debate! 

8 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I did mention expats - by which I meant those people from every country who have migrated and made Australia their home but have families left behind  (ie not natural born Australians,) which is probably  the majority of people who post on here from Australia 

Im also reading/hearing  posts on social media where people are railing against the fact that they can’t leave or get into Australia.....

An expat is someone who is living or working away from home temporarily.  They see themselves as living in a foreign country, not making a new life.  I lived in Africa as an expat.  When I came to Australia I was a migrant, and then I was an Australian.

I thnk maybe Ramot and I have a different attitude because we grew up with different expectations..  When we moved overseas in our younger days, we didn't think, "Britain is ony 24 hours away" and our parents didn't expect we'd be popping back and forth to see each other every year or so.  Flights were too expensive.  You just accepted that if you migrated, you left your family behind forever. You'd be very lucky if you managed to see them every 5 years or so. 

My auntie, a ten pound Pom, managed her first visit home 20 years after she left.  My oh and I never had kids, so we were able to afford a visit every two or three years, but we were unusual.  I worked in an office of 600 people, a large proportion of them migrants, and my work brought meant I had regular dealings with most of them. They were always envious when I mentioned my next trip, because most of them didn't see their folks so frequently. 

So the idea that not seeing your family for two or three years is a tragedy is unfamiliar to me, because that used to be the norm for many migrants, and I'm sure is still the case for many migrants from developing countries.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes the closed border certainly helped but the bungled vaccination is considered a pretty poor showing when they can see the vaccination speeds in other countries. Yes UK made some shocking mistakes early on and should have closed the borders much much earlier but they are getting the vaccination right ! Australia will never be free of the virus unless they permanently close their borders which will devastate the economy. The virus will always be present in the world, we just need to learn to manage it. 

Im also reading/hearing  posts on social media where people are railing against the fact that they can’t leave or get into Australia. There will always be two sides to every story - and the chance for a good debate! 

I’ve been an expat both in Africa and Brunei, both times working and living temporarily in another country on a contract, so could never be either a permanent resident or citizen.I am now an Australian citizen, so I am not an expat here.

• Like 2

On 13/04/2021 at 11:48, LindaH27 said:

I can see the parent visa grants are not as many as there could have been but I’m more struck by the fact the partner visas were given a temporary one year huge increase to 77300 - and yet very few - 26993-  were actually granted!  A much bigger percentage drop than parents,  even though potential parents grants were originally reduced in planning levels for 20-21  and potential partner grants increased! 

It's a long journey ahead, found this as well from another FOI release on the Dept website in 2021, keeps on growing ...

image.png.e5f5320381c49c5d585c6bc5ad5d2762.png

On 16/04/2021 at 12:36, LindaH27 said:

So he can allow vaccinated Australians to go to other countries but won’t allow vaccinated people from other countries to even enter Australia let alone go into quarantine - double standards??? If it’s safe for returning vaccinated Australians it’s also safe for the rest of the vaccinated world to enter as well. 

yes v true......govt.shoul not have double standards.

Link to the response that I received to the FOI request I had lodged with the department recently - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/foi/files/2021/fa-210200253-document-released.PDF

Summary - 

1 - More than 56K applications are on-hand currently (See part 3). So any new applications going forward will easily take more than 10-12 years (and not 6 years as claimed on the dept website)

2 - Part 1 shows the (slow) pace of processing the applications - number of applications processed every month.

3 - (see the small note at the end of the document) - The Department is currently assessing for a place in the queue, Contributory Parent (Permanent) (subclass 143) and Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa applications that were lodged in June 2018 and is releasing from the queue for final processing applications that were lodged in May 2016.

Edited by Sherlock

On 31/03/2021 at 14:48, 143mag said:

Happy for everyone who received their visa but I feel like we are only one left from Pre April 2016. 😞 

We applied on 18 March 2016.

email received to submit Medicals and AOS and police checks.

everything submitted by 17 March 2020.  Then nothing heard. 
mine applicant is onshore and one is offshore. 
still waiting. 

My application is my 2020 everything is submitted in June 2020 

In April 2021 immigration ask your pcc is expired and resubmitted new pcc.

1 hour ago, Raj2016 said:

still waiting. 

1 hour ago, Raj2016 said:

still waiting. 

I thought you both had to be either on shore or off shore together to get the visa ?

9 hours ago, Singh1993 said:

Applicants are onshore or offshore?

9 hours ago, palaceboy1 said:

I thought you both had to be either on shore or off shore together to get the visa ?

I am not sure. My agent did not told me anything about that. But now it’s hard to make them available at same place with covid restrictions. 

17 hours ago, Raj2016 said:

still waiting. 

My application & acknowledment in may 2016 everything is submitted in June 2020 

Off shore application