Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

13 minutes ago, WAKid said:

Noted. I have already put the planned approach to an agent I have been talking to in between these messages, so we are aligned 🙂

I’m unsure then if you were speaking to an agent why you needed to ask on here? Any layman advice freely given on here cannot be as good as that of an agent ? 

• Like 1

I should have clarified, sorry.

I have been speaking to an agent about my own migration path. I have now asked the same agent whom I am speaking to about my own migration path if they are able to advise on my parent's pathway.

Hope that makes sense.

9 minutes ago, WAKid said:

I have been speaking to an agent about my own migration path. I have now asked the same agent whom I am speaking to about my own migration path if they are able to advise on my parent's pathway.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes - that’s what you pay the agent for - advice 

2 hours ago, WAKid said:

Thank you, this is really helpful indeed. My sister meets all the sponsorship criteria so no issue there, hopefully, the wait is not as long as 13 years for the 143, but as you say, the numbers are not in our favour! Is the 173 to 143 route an option here instead of going down the 143 then 870?

The queue will be at least ten years, probably longer.  I assume the sponsor will need to meet the criteria prior to grant of visa so hopefully that will still be the case with your sister.  I guess no one can know what situation they will be in a decade down the line.  A bit strange you are asking a bunch of strangers on a forum these questions when you are liaising with your own migrant agent who will be able to advise you much better. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I saw this online buried in a dept report on the Home Affairs website and the parent visa numbers are listed below.

image.thumb.png.6874e7b8af8e69c6f89a9735477f03cb.png

I can see the parent visa grants are not as many as there could have been but I’m more struck by the fact the partner visas were given a temporary one year huge increase to 77300 - and yet very few - 26993-  were actually granted!  A much bigger percentage drop than parents,  even though potential parents grants were originally reduced in planning levels for 20-21  and potential partner grants increased! 

5 hours ago, cfernandes said:

Does anyone know what this means. We got this today. Ours is a 2nd june 2016 application and we have done everything except pay the second VAC.imageproxy.php?img=&key=578e852abf1eefa4 Currently offshore. 

image.thumb.png.ae776b493a306bf97c8eee33c1f74f5b.png

Congrats, it means they are now actively processing your visa. Should be asked for 2ndvac soon. Have you done your police clearance?

Edited by LindaH27

On 13/04/2021 at 13:48, LindaH27 said:

I can see the parent visa grants are not as many as there could have been but I’m more struck by the fact the partner visas were given a temporary one year huge increase to 77300 - and yet very few - 26993-  were actually granted!  A much bigger percentage drop than parents,  even though potential parents grants were originally reduced in planning levels for 20-21  and potential partner grants increased! 

These numbers are as at 31 Jan 2021.

I suggest we hold fire on drawing conclusions until the program year to 30 June 2021 has ended and the numbers for the whole year are made known.

Best regards.

On 11/04/2021 at 21:47, Tulip1 said:

The queue will be at least ten years, probably longer.  I assume the sponsor will need to meet the criteria prior to grant of visa so hopefully that will still be the case with your sister.  I guess no one can know what situation they will be in a decade down the line.  A bit strange you are asking a bunch of strangers on a forum these questions when you are liaising with your own migrant agent who will be able to advise you much better. 

Given the usual number of parent visas granted during a program year is about 7,000 I'd be cautious about drawing conclusions as to visa application processing times based solely on this year's unusually low Covid-affected 4,500 or so.

Best regards.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2021 at 20:22, WAKid said:

Hope that makes sense.

Make sure the agent has a solid reference point when commenting on parent visa strategy.

In other words, does the agent have a good understanding of parent visas and a good number of parent visa applicant clients from which s/he can comment meaningfully?

Best regards.

On 11/04/2021 at 20:22, WAKid said:

I have been speaking to an agent about my own migration path.

@WAKid does that mean you don't have a PR visa of your own, yet?   I would echo what everyone else has said.  If your parents applied today, they'll have to wait about 10 years for a 143.  If they must wait until you hold a PR visa AND meet the requirements to sponsor them, it's very likely the queue will have blown out even longer.

The government wants to discourage parents because their research says they are too great a drain on taxpayers (and I am not going to get into a debate about that, I'm just telling you what the government research said). For that reason, there is always a risk that the door will be closed even further (just look at the UK as an example of how strict some countries can be about accepting parents of migrants). At the very least, the research recommended a substantial increase in the fees, which are already very expensive.

If you are thinking of bringing them onshore and then staying on a bridging visa, then do research the downsides of that strategy.  The agent will tell you what's possible but it's not their job to keep abreast of all the medical, tax and other complications of living on a bridging visa long-term.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Given the usual number of parent visas granted during a program year is about 7,000 I'd be cautious about drawing conclusions as to visa application processing times based solely on this year's unusually low Covid-affected 4,500 or so.

Best regards.

Plus the awaited results in August of the Senate Inquiry into parent visas! Not that I’m expecting a huge improvement but ...fingers crossed. 

40 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

@WAKid does that mean you don't have a PR visa of your own, yet?   I would echo what everyone else has said.  If your parents applied today, they'll have to wait about 10 years for a 143.  If they must wait until you hold a PR visa AND meet the requirements to sponsor them, it's very likely the queue will have blown out even longer.

The government wants to discourage parents because their research says they are too great a drain on taxpayers (and I am not going to get into a debate about that, I'm just telling you what the government research said). For that reason, there is always a risk that the door will be closed even further (just look at the UK as an example of how strict some countries can be about accepting parents of migrants). At the very least, the research recommended a substantial increase in the fees, which are already very expensive.

If you are thinking of bringing them onshore and then staying on a bridging visa, then do research the downsides of that strategy.  The agent will tell you what's possible but it's not their job to keep abreast of all the medical, tax and other complications of living on a bridging visa long-term.

There could also be potential changes after the senate inquiry reports in August. A previous submission into the waiting times led to a response by govt detailing the costs of parents and especially those on 804 - which they appear to really want to get rid of! 

I’ve always thought that It does seem somewhat unfair on other parents too if only 804 and 864 are allowed to wait onshore on abridging visa. Some parents on 143 for example could really not go for 804/864, although eligible by age,  because at the time they need to sort things out in UK ( businesses etc) but  just wanted to get into the queue ASAP whilst sorting things out. 

If only they could change to 864 from 143 like 103 to 143 without loss of lodgement date  ! 

• Like 1

I see Scott Morrison has been talking about allowing vaccinated Australians to leave the country and return - without going into quarantine! 

So he can allow vaccinated Australians to go to other countries but won’t allow vaccinated people from other countries to even enter Australia let alone go into quarantine - double standards??? If it’s safe for returning vaccinated Australians it’s also safe for the rest of the vaccinated world to enter as well. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

I see Scott Morrison has been talking about allowing vaccinated Australians to leave the country and return - without going into quarantine! 

So he can allow vaccinated Australians to go to other countries but won’t allow vaccinated people from other countries to even enter Australia let alone go into quarantine - double standards??? If it’s safe for returning vaccinated Australians it’s also safe for the rest of the vaccinated world to enter as well. 

I think the idea may be that vaccinated Australians quarantine in their  own home upon return.  Not practical with visitors.  Presumably there is also a view that you could more easily prosecute Australians who break self quarantine.

Very frustrating situation

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

I think the idea may be that vaccinated Australians quarantine in their  own home upon return.  Not practical with visitors.  Presumably there is also a view that you could more easily prosecute Australians who break self quarantine.

Very frustrating situation

Yes but surely the vast majority of parents would be quarantining in their children’s homes!? Maybe there could be a subclass for parents especially if they already have an application in for a parent visa?? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes but surely the vast majority of parents would be quarantining in their children’s homes!? Maybe there could be a subclass for parents especially if they already have an application in for a parent visa?? 

Makes sense to me.

But I suspect the challenge the government would then have, is that every other category of entrant would also start making a case for why their situation should be treated differently and it just becomes a nightmare.

The handling of the whole thing is poor.   Rather than lay out a roadmap around which people can plan their lives, it feels like they are sprinkling out ideas to gauge reaction

Edited by FirstWorldProblems