Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

23 minutes ago, Gaz59 said:

Has anyone heard anything who applied in 2017 

Thanks

Won't be anytime soon I'm afraid, probably around 8,000 applications still to process before they even get to Jan 2017.  Total of around 17,000 applications made during 2017.  There's lots of info about this in previous posts on here.

Edited by Biggsy

33 minutes ago, Gaz59 said:

Has anyone heard anything who applied in 2017 

Thanks

Will be years yet depending on when in 2017 you applied. 

Look back at previous posts for charts showing  how many are still in front of you 

There’s only 4500 a year granted so waiting  time has vastly increased. Immi have only just moved onto June 2016 for processing and only just granting March 2016 applicants! 

On top of this they are prioritising onshore applicants to keep them legal whilst the borders are closed. 

Edited by LindaH27

2 hours ago, Katherin2016 said:

Hi everyone 

I just got the VAC 2nd payment request today ! 
At least they are processing The application now . 

Congratulations, I saw the applicants are offshore. Did they have to do any documents again? Also did you email department for any progress update? Or got request out of blue? 

55 minutes ago, 143mag said:

Congratulations, I saw the applicants are offshore. Did they have to do any documents again? Also did you email department for any progress update? Or got request out of blue? 

Yes , my parent are offshore . 
I was expecting the department required to redo the health check or police check or staffs ! But my agency gave a call and need me to make a payment  ASAP because they will issue the visa within tomorrow or after Easter! 
finger crossed ! 

3 hours ago, Katherin2016 said:

Hi everyone 

I just got the VAC 2nd payment request today ! 
At least they are processing The application now . 

Congratulations!

For reference, we received our 2nd VAC request on Monday morning, paid by BPAY the same day and our visas were granted Tuesday morning (yesterday). I hope yours is just as speedy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Congratulations!

For reference, we received our 2nd VAC request on Monday morning, paid by BPAY the same day and our visas were granted Tuesday morning (yesterday). I hope yours is just as speedy.

I hope so ! Finger crossed ! 
finally it is almost finish! 
thank 😊

Edited by Katherin2016

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Will be years yet depending on when in 2017 you applied. 

Look back at previous posts for charts showing  how many are still in front of you 

There’s only 4500 a year granted so waiting  time has vastly increased. Immi have only just moved onto June 2016 for processing and only just granting March 2016 applicants! 

On top of this they are prioritising onshore applicants to keep them legal whilst the borders are closed. 

On 12/12/2020 at 11:32, LindaH27 said:

That is the total of ALL parent visa applications - it’s pretty evenly split between contributory snd non contributory applications. For contributory parent visas a better  idea is given by @Alan Collett who requested information from immi. He provided a chart as follows 

B27BF52B-02F0-43E3-9FFA-CE5F2EC072B2.thumb.png.2ea8557d60149a7fc557b41f0a5165fb.pngAD

just relax and wai..............it is unlikely that you may hear any thing at least before 2 years...unless quota is revised upwordly,

13 minutes ago, A&J said:

Has anyone tried to convert a 143 to 864 (aged parent contributory)?

You can convert from 103 to 143 and retain original lodgement date but you can’t convert from 143 to 864

You would have to withdraw your 143 application and start again with a new application for 864 - and therefore a later lodgement date. No refund is given from original 143 application either. So it would take longer to grant -new applications are expected to take at least 8 years and possibly more. 

10 hours ago, Katherin2016 said:

Yes , my parent are offshore . 
I was expecting the department required to redo the health check or police check or staffs ! But my agency gave a call and need me to make a payment  ASAP because they will issue the visa within tomorrow or after Easter! 
finger crossed ! 

Did your agent call you or the department?

22 hours ago, BargeUK said:

It actually seems that we weren't bumped off but the whole flight was cancelled!  Sadly our replacement flight was also cancelled and so now we're waiting with bated breath to see if our 3rd flight works out!  It's like slow torture.....we had to move the date back a bit so that prolongs the agony

Aah right that makes more sense that flight cancelled. However I feel for you, what date are you flying now? 
We arrived yesterday, in Mercure hotel Perth so  far so good. We were asked when we checked in at Heathrow for Covid certificate, which she checked but asked if we had completed Australian and UK travel declarations but didn’t want to see them! 
in Dubai they checked Covid cert and G2G pass but I believe that’s for WA only. So relieved we are here at last. 

8 hours ago, Lady Jane said:

Aah right that makes more sense that flight cancelled. However I feel for you, what date are you flying now? 
We arrived yesterday, in Mercure hotel Perth so  far so good. We were asked when we checked in at Heathrow for Covid certificate, which she checked but asked if we had completed Australian and UK travel declarations but didn’t want to see them! 
in Dubai they checked Covid cert and G2G pass but I believe that’s for WA only. So relieved we are here at last. 

Wow!  I'm so happy for you - what a massive relief!  We're due to fly on 6 May now so a bit longer to wait and worry.  I don't know if we also need a permit to enter Victoria in addition to the Australia Travel Declaration - I'll task our son with checking that out!  Hopefully if we can get past the next couple of weeks we'll feel a bit more secure as they seem to cancel flights around a month ahead.  I hope your quarantine passes smoothly and quickly.  At least you'll get some r and r because there's not much else you can do!  All the best in your new life

• Like 2

My MIL is in Australia on a 870 visa which expires in Nov 2022. It's looking unlikely that her 143 visa will be granted by then. If it doesn't, are there options for us to keep her in Australia until her 143 is granted, some sort of bridging visa? 

The 870 visa rules say she would have to leave Australia for 90 days before applying for another 870 visa. 

26 minutes ago, youngfreewild said:

My MIL is in Australia on a 870 visa which expires in Nov 2022. It's looking unlikely that her 143 visa will be granted by then. If it doesn't, are there options for us to keep her in Australia until her 143 is granted, some sort of bridging visa? 

The 870 visa rules say she would have to leave Australia for 90 days before applying for another 870 visa. 

There have been exceptions during the border  closures enabling people  to stay onshore - but no one has yet come to the end of an 870 as they were only introduced in 2019. Given that the visa you’re talking about doesn’t expire till November 2022, it’s likely the borders will be open by then. If so the existing rules apply. She would have to leave Australia and wait three months before applying again. So three months plus however long it takes to process the visa again as they may wish to recheck the sponsor and the health of the applicant in case there are any changes eg sponsor loses job, applicants health deteriorates etc.  . No one knows yet exactly how this will work as we haven’t yet reached the end of a three year 870 visa. Unlikely to be any type of bridging visa  available once borders  open and things go back to normal. 
Depending  on her age there may be the possibility of withdrawing the 143 and applying for 864 instead. She would have to pay new application fee snd her queue date would go back to the beginning but she could stay onshore. Depends how long it looks like before she would possibly gain her 143?  She would have to perhaps have private insurance again as reciprocal healthcare under Medicare doesn’t cover everything. 

Edited by LindaH27
  • Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 23:23, youngfreewild said:

I wonder whether the department may look favourably on someone who has already had an 870 and treat the 2nd one as a renewal rather than a whole new application. That way it may be possible to apply as soon as you leave the country so the visa is ready for you to re-enter as soon as the 3 months are up. Otherwise it seems likely that as the number of 870 applications increase the wait time will become longer and could cause real problems for anyone who has sold their home and effectively already made the move - although I suppose anyone doing that would have done so at their own risk.  I guess we'll find out soon enough once the earlier applications expire.  When did your MIL apply for her 143? Hopefully there will soon be another flurry of activity......

On 04/04/2021 at 23:23, youngfreewild said:

I am UK resident thinking of applying for 870. How long does reciprocal health cover last before needing private medical cover?

28 minutes ago, A&J said:

I am UK resident thinking of applying for 870. How long does reciprocal health cover last before needing private medical cover?

I’ve read that many 870 applicants are having to show proof of private health  insurance to get the grant. Reciprocal health care doesn’t give you full health cover. 
Part of the application for 870 says you must meet the health requirements. The reasons for this are shown here 

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/health#

Hi,

Are you sure you can apply for the 143 Contributory parents visa if you are on the 870 or even in the process of applying? I am looking at these options for my parents too.

From the list of criteria for the 143 visa, it says 'not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa'

See here https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-143

40 minutes ago, WAKid said:

Hi,

Are you sure you can apply for the 143 Contributory parents visa if you are on the 870 or even in the process of applying? I am looking at these options for my parents too.

From the list of criteria for the 143 visa, it says 'not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa'

See here https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-143

You cannot apply for 143 if you have already applied for 870 - its clearly  stipulated. 870 was introduced because the queue for 143 was becoming extremely long and it was a way of allowing parents to spend  time in Australia whilst waiting for their grant.

So does that mean my parents could apply for the 870 after they have lodged their application for the 143? For the same reason so that they can spend time with our family out there whilst waiting the very long processing time for the 143.

11 minutes ago, WAKid said:

So does that mean my parents could apply for the 870 after they have lodged their application for the 143? For the same reason so that they can spend time with our family out there whilst waiting the very long processing time for the 143.

Yes but you need to be aware of some other facts. They can apply for 870 as soon as they’ve applied for 143 but it will not be granted until the borders open as it’s only a temporary visa. It also needs three months out of Australia between applications and could possibly be longer if immi decide to check the sponsor and the health of the applicants again during that processing. 

They can only spend  a maximum of 10 years on 870. There are currently nearly  60000 already in the queue for 143 and  only 4500 per year are granted so new applications face a very  long wait indeed!!  On those figures possibly a wait of over 13 years!! 
The sponsor needs to have 4 years residency and earn over $84000 per year and obviously the parents need to pass the balance of family test for 143

Edited by LindaH27

Thank you, this is really helpful indeed. My sister meets all the sponsorship criteria so no issue there, hopefully, the wait is not as long as 13 years for the 143, but as you say, the numbers are not in our favour! Is the 173 to 143 route an option here instead of going down the 143 then 870?

5 minutes ago, WAKid said:

Thank you, this is really helpful indeed. My sister meets all the sponsorship criteria so no issue there, hopefully, the wait is not as long as 13 years for the 143, but as you say, the numbers are not in our favour! Is the 173 to 143 route an option here instead of going down the 143 then 870?

No!  Well I mean it’s not advisable ! 173 is a two year temporary visa - you have to apply for 143 PR before the end of the two years and wait again . The 173 is in the same queue as 143 so will take the same time as 143 but then extra time to go from 173 to 143 grant. It will also cost more doing it this way. Some people have already been granted 173 after a long wait but are unable to enter Australia whilst the borders are closed as its only a temporary visa. 
do your parents meet the balance of family test? 

Edited by LindaH27